7.5t Truck Trip to Europe help

Think some of you being a bit harsh on the OP who is clearly trying to information gather - a sensible approach. Most unlikely to be over weight (3T?) with household and personal effects. Usually bulks out first.

He is exempt from tacho regs under EU law, but yes, it would make things much easier if stopped to use the tacho and abide by drivers hours law.

However, if he carries a laminated copy of the relevant exemption in the language of each country he passes through, shouldn’t have a problem.

Reckoning on 14 mpg will be about right. Might do a bit more, that will be a bonus.

To think that the round trip is do-able in 3 days is deluded. It will be a FULL 3 days to get there, possible more if any major hold ups, also depends where starting from in the UK.
I would rent the truck for a week(better rate) and plan 3 days out, a day off driving to unload, 3 days back … and you might run into the 8th day.

I did a very similar trip to near Toulouse, South of France some years ago, but only had the one country to think about.

it’s 1800km from calais to the romanian border at nadlac, pluss 300km inside romania, bear in mind that it’s roadwork season in the third reich already and a very heavily used two-lane road from szeged up to the destination in romania. having driven up and down the eastern part of europe for four years, 500km in 10 hours being the norm driving in romania, I’d say it’s 4 days there and 4 back.

I did Szeged -Bucharest in a van. 8 hours non stop, the drivers are mental. :open_mouth:

Buy a luton van on ebay, take the stuff down there and sell it off, then fly back.

Riho:
Buy a luton van on ebay, take the stuff down there and sell it off, then fly back.

He’ll be over weight straight away so thats a none starter plus the fuel will be worse than a 7.5 tonner