7.5 tonne or class 2 licence

I just want to know if it would be best just to get my C1 and seeking employment driving 7.5 tonne before going on to do the class 2 ? I am looking for a change of career but don’t want to spend loads of money doing class 2 if the majority of jobs are for 7.5 tonne vans.

Any info greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jonny74

jonny74:
I just want to know if it would be best just to get my C1 and seeking employment driving 7.5 tonne before going on to do the class 2 ? I am looking for a change of career but don’t want to spend loads of money doing class 2 if the majority of jobs are for 7.5 tonne vans.

Thanks
Jonny74

Hi Jonny74,

I’d suggest that there isn’t a great deal of price difference for training/test on Cat “C” as opposed to Cat “C1” so it’ll probably give you more options if you take the Cat “C” licence. :smiley:

:bulb: With a Cat “C” licence, you can drive a “C1” for free, but that theory doesn’t work in reverse. :wink:

:open_mouth: Blimey, it looks like ROG has gone missing… would somebody please send for the nurse? :laughing: :laughing:

The only reason to do the C1 is if you never plan on driving anything bigger, as this doesn’t apply to you then go straight to the C :slight_smile:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome jonny74 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which starts on 10 Sept 2009.

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

jonny74:

The cost for C is the same as for C1
Same theory
Same DSA test fees
Same length of course
C1 is slightly smaller than C
C1 has a ‘straight’ gearbox like a car
C has a range change/slapover or splitter gearbox which is slightly more difficult to get used to.

A thought just accured to me -
Did someone tell you that you had to do C1 before C :question: - YOU DON’T - go straight from B (car) to C

ROG:
Did someone tell you that you had to do C1 before C :question: - YOU DON’T - go straight from B (car) to C

Hi ROG, :laughing: :laughing: The fact that you hadn’t posted within 5 mins of jonny was of far more concern… :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

dieseldave:
Hi ROG, :laughing: :laughing: The fact that you hadn’t posted within 5 mins of jonny was of far more concern… :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

I was outside as nice weather :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for your replys . Class 2 it is then i will telephone training centres in leeds in the next couple of weeks.
jonny74 :smiley:

jonny74:
Thanks for your replys . Class 2 it is then i will telephone training centres in leeds in the next couple of weeks.
jonny74 :smiley:

I’d reccomend to use Tockwith Training just out of the Harrogate side of York… I did my C at L&T in Ponti and CE at Tockwith, and would always go back to Tock’ :slight_smile:

You could take a look at elmet driver training based in Sherburn in Elmet.

I’ve heard positive stories from the guys at Elmet also… plenty of choice!

jonny74:

Thanks
Jonny74

Just out of interest when did you pass your B [car] license■■?

got driving licence july 1998 been driving transits for last 9 years self employed builder but want career change with the way things are.
always enjoyed driving and been interested in hgv since a young age :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

As you have passed your CAT B test after 1st Jan 1997 you will have to do your CAT C1 (7.5t) licence before you can do your Class 2 licence.

(I think that is right, apologies if it isnt)

Grasshopper:
As you have passed your CAT B test after 1st Jan 1997 you will have to do your CAT C1 (7.5t) licence before you can do your Class 2 licence.

NO YOU DON’T.

If you’d have passed before 1st Jan 97 you’d have had 7.5 tonne license on the license however as you passed after this date you don’t get it. You can go straight to your class C test at this point in time

Grasshopper:

That is not correct and I note your apology above :slight_smile:

At one time, maybe still, there were/are some training schools that gave out this incorrect info, possibly to get more money from trainees.

You can go directly from B to C (and from B to D)
C1 is a sub catagory of C
D1 is a sub catagory of D

Well i have learnt something new today. :smiley:

Go for class 2 if your based in Leeds there is a very good training school based in Fitzwilliam (wakefield) which is Very good, will give info if you need it. i used them for my class 2 & 1

No such thing as class 2 or class 3 anymore . or even a class 1

just C1 / C / C+E

Also to get rid of the other MYTHS you can do a C course and pass on a friday as soon as you get your licence back take the C+E test

It is totaly pointles in doing a C1 course if you are old enough to do a C course as the costs are the same…

Also if you are not currently driving an LGV and you license runs out because of no medical you can still get your license back once you get a medical done i know someone that let there LGV lapse ( medical ) and got it back 15 years later.

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
Also to get rid of the other MYTHS you can do a C course and pass on a friday as soon as you get your licence back take the C+E test

It is totaly pointles in doing a C1 course if you are old enough to do a C course as the costs are the same…

Also if you are not currently driving an LGV and you license runs out because of no medical you can still get your license back once you get a medical done i know someone that let there LGV lapse ( medical ) and got it back 15 years later.

a) How’s that a myth? You can take the CE once your licence is returned with the full C and provisional CE. Whether it’s desirable is a different matter.

b) It’s the same age for the C1 and C.

c) True, but no relevance to this thread :smiley:

ianbaddog35:
Go for class 2 if your based in Leeds there is a very good training school based in Fitzwilliam (wakefield) which is Very good, will give info if you need it. i used them for my class 2 & 1

I did my class 2 there but didn’t rate them at all, hence moving to Tockwith for class 1.