7.5 tonne or class 2 licence

My cub wants to buy a 7.5 tonner so is now looking at training. He has only had a car license for 2 years. I told him to go straight to class 2 (yes I know it don’t really exist but I’m old hand) but he has found a local company offering C1 training at a seriously cheaper price.

http://www.swifttransporttraining.com

Not rang them yet, so I have no idea how long they reckon the training should be. But surely it couldnt take a week the same as an 18 tonner does. He’s been driving luton sprinters for a year and has been driving artics round the yard since he was 12.

If he did manage to get a C1 for less money for now, would he need to do all the theory tests and CPC stuff again to get a Class 2 license in a year or so. Or is it just a case of doing a Class 2 test.

maurice:
My cub wants to buy a 7.5 tonner so is now looking at training. He has only had a car license for 2 years. I told him to go straight to class 2 (yes I know it don’t really exist but I’m old hand) but he has found a local company offering C1 training at a seriously cheaper price.

Just called them - it is a £150 cheaper on a 5 day course for the C1 but everything else is the same as for C.

maurice:
If he did manage to get a C1 for less money for now, would he need to do all the theory tests and CPC stuff again to get a Class 2 license in a year or so. Or is it just a case of doing a Class 2 test.

It is just a case of doing a C practical test.

TBH, the driving age for C is now 18 so why on earth would anyone want to do C1 ?!!
The total cost difference when you take into account all the DSA fees and training fees makes the difference insignificant IMO

ROG:

maurice:

Just called them - it is a £150 cheaper on a 5 day course for the C1 but everything else is the same as for C.

maurice:

It is just a case of doing a C practical test.

TBH, the driving age for C is now 18 so why on earth would anyone want to do C1 ?!!
The total cost difference when you take into account all the DSA fees and training fees makes the difference insignificant IMO

Thanks Rog, I had no idea it would be that little difference, definately better going for a class 2 license. Looks like he’ll be making a substantial cash withdrawal from the bank of Maurice. :frowning: Still, the sooner he’s earning the sooner the little ■■■■ will leave home. :laughing:

maurice:
Looks like he’ll be making a substantial cash withdrawal from the bank of Maurice. Still, the sooner he’s earning the sooner the little [zb] will leave home.

I think there is a law against ‘blackmail’ :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

maurice:
Looks like he’ll be making a substantial cash withdrawal from the bank of Maurice. Still, the sooner he’s earning the sooner the little [zb] will leave home.

I think there is a law against ‘blackmail’ :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

Just spoke to my son, he reckons with an 18 tonner he might get a bit of long distance work (removals). So if you see a 20 year old, hooded hooligan tearing down the M1 with trance music blaring out you only have yourself to blame. :laughing: :laughing:

maurice:
Just spoke to my son, he reckons with an 18 tonner he might get a bit of long distance work (removals). So if you see a 20 year old, hooded hooligan tearing down the M1 with trance music blaring out you only have yourself to blame. :laughing: :laughing:

That’s called - passing the buck :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing:

Management might call it - delegating responsibility :wink:

Just a small question: How much more difficult is it to drive a C over C1? I don’t have any trouble with my (little) 18t skiploader, it’s just so frustratingly slow…

EBGBz:
Just a small question: How much more difficult is it to drive a C over C1?

Not much - most (not training & test) 18T Cs have a ‘straight’ gearbox and are slightly bigger

I think that just about seals the argument, then. It just doesn’t seem worth taking C1 when you can get C with C1 thrown in for free! It’s probably harder to get a 7.5t job anyhow, as anyone with grandfather rights can do the job…

EBGBz:
It’s probably harder to get a 7.5t job anyhow, as anyone with grandfather rights can do the job…

Only until 09 09 2014.
I wonder how many will do the 35 hours periodic training to retain their right to be paid to drive them after 09 09 2014 :question:

I get the feeling that bottom will fall out of the C1 (7.5 tonner) market for drivers and vehicles in due course - most 7.5 weight limits say exept for loading or access and for others that do not allow Cs to enter then vans under 3.5 will probably do it…

I’d forgotten all about the CPC for the time being. I get the feeling that some employers may fold to ■■■■■■■■■■ pressure and might end up paying for CPCs to be taken, or face replacing most of their crew of 7.5t drivers. Unfortunately, I shall probably never work for one of these companies.