6x2 mini mid axle

Hello all, this will be my first post on this forum (apologies if already a topic started).

Over the years I’ve driven some smart motors, 4X2, 6X2, different specs etc.

One thing that I’ve been pondering since they’re becoming more popular, that is the 6X2 with the mini mid lift axle. As I’ve never driven a motor with this set up, could anyone in the interweb, is there any advantage apart from having a bigger tank and able to go to 44t. Is there any problem turning in a tight yard fully loaded?!?

Many thanks

Weight saving is the obvious advantage, note most lorries with this set up are bulker or tankers with alloy wheels to get further weight reduction.

No problem turning, simply dump the mid lift air temporarily, useful on tight turns on the road too if its slippy, not only will it go round easier it saves tyre and suspension wear.

Theyre just used to take a small percentage of weight and being non steer they could potentially cause a little drag extending your turning circle slightly but its only going to be very marginal if anything really. Tbh, if never found the need for a 6x2 ive always run long wheelbase 4x2’s even at 44tonne but having said that i dont have to cope with diminishing loads…

In most cases this axle is only there to satisfy the requirement to have 6 axles when plated for 44 tonne, the other 5 are usually rated for more than 44 tonne between them so it makes sense to have the 6th one as small and light as possible.

AndrewG:
Theyre just used to take a small percentage of weight and being non steer they could potentially cause a little drag extending your turning circle slightly but its only going to be very marginal if anything really. Tbh, if never found the need for a 6x2 ive always run long wheelbase 4x2’s even at 44tonne but having said that i dont have to cope with diminishing loads…

But you do have to abide by max weight and a long wheelbase 4x2 pulling a triaxle trailer can’t weigh 44t legally!

switchlogic:

AndrewG:

But you do have to abide by max weight and a long wheelbase 4x2 pulling a triaxle trailer can’t weigh 44t legally!

Im not in the UK…

44 tonnes is a UK limit so it was a fair assumption by myself :wink: If you were in the UK you’d soon feel the need to have a 6x2 at 44

Especially with 28.5t of fertiliser on the back!!!

Thank you for the replies. The things what people think about doing a 10 hour haul is crazy!!! Now that would be an interesting thread…

switchlogic:
44 tonnes is a UK limit so it was a fair assumption by myself :wink: If you were in the UK you’d soon feel the need to have a 6x2 at 44

Only because the govt and DVSA says so, 44t on 5 is fine, no need for 6 axles, just extra weight, more tyres to replace and above all no 1400 litre fuel tanks… :wink:

AndrewG:

switchlogic:

Only because the govt and DVSA says so, 44t on 5 is fine, no need for 6 axles, just extra weight, more tyres to replace and above all no 1400 litre fuel tanks… :wink:

That’s the law though so that’s what you have to go by

kr79:

AndrewG:

switchlogic:

That’s the law though so that’s what you have to go by

The point switchlogic was making was its law in the UK…my point being i dont drive in the UK and 44t on 5 is fine…

AndrewG:

switchlogic:

That’s stating the obvious somewhat. Most units are designed for well over 44t be they 4x2 or 6x2 and while it is law there obviously is a need for 6 wheelers. You could be pulling 100t on your 4 wheeler for all the relevance itd have to this thread :wink: Isn’t France going over to 46 on 6 soon anyway?

It’s 46 in Ireland too on 6 axles

46T?!? Volvo, Scania etc. Will be rubbing their hands, as companies start asking for 500+ bhp motors. Otherwise most wagons will be hitting 35mph up hill on the m62.

Also how will that work with the fuel saving, up hill doing 3mpg. Wasting driving time, its better hitting 80-90 k, doing 3mpg Lol

Jonny1902:
46T?!? Volvo, Scania etc. Will be rubbing their hands, as companies start asking for 500+ bhp motors. Otherwise most wagons will be hitting 35mph up hill on the m62.

Also how will that work with the fuel saving, up hill doing 3mpg. Wasting driving time, its better hitting 80-90 k, doing 3mpg Lol

Big power engines though equate to equally big torque outputs and fuel increase is minimal over lower power pulling uphill. I had an F7 years ago at 40t and flat out constantly saved nothing on fuel compared to bigger hp engines…

It was for a long time 50 ton on 5 in Holland, and we would be lucky to have 280bhp.
40 ton on 5 through Europe and beyond, was happy with 280 bhp , and they paid you by the hour.
Now, who is daft?. :wink:

Later engines became bigger, but never seen the need for 500+ bhp
Loaded together with another lad in Gratkorn (Near Graz in Austria), me with 380bhp, and 8 gears no splitter, he with a 700bhp and 16 gears.
Straight back to Den Bosch in Holland, and he didn’t do it more than a half hour quicker.

To go back to the OP, these mid lift save approx 500kgs on a fixed mid lift.
They are merely used to stay legal with 44ton in the U.K., or to keep axle weights correct with diminishing loads.
They are a bit funny on wet roundabouts, they give you the feeling that they want to go straight on, and the truck pulls the last second round.

If you look at continental trailers, you will notice that they have a shorter wheelbase, sometimes is the distance from the kingpin to the last axle less than 7 metre.
This is done to get the axle weights correct, with a 13 ton drive axle you will get the correct distribution.
UK trailers have at least 8 metre wheelbase.

caledoniandream:
Later engines became bigger, but never seen the need for 500+ bhp
Loaded together with another lad in Gratkorn (Near Graz in Austria), me with 380bhp, and 8 gears no splitter, he with a 700bhp and 16 gears.
Straight back to Den Bosch in Holland, and he didn’t do it more than a half hour quicker.

But he had a much more relaxed drive back and 300 gear changes less… :wink:

Since when is 44t on 5 axles legal anywhere in Europe? Even adding up individual axle weights for the 5 axles you end up at 42t and the combination gross is still 40 tons.

milodon:
Since when is 44t on 5 axles legal anywhere in Europe? Even adding up individual axle weights for the 5 axles you end up at 42t and the combination gross is still 40 tons.

Of the top of my head about 4 years ago. I’ll try ans get a link up. Remember UK and European axle weights have long been at variance.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Like I said, you can only get 42t when you add up the individual axle weights on a 5-axle artic. That’s not based on the UK lawbook but 33 separate countries I’ve had the pleasure of driving a lorry through.