6x2 mini mid axle

milodon:
Like I said, you can only get 42t when you add up the individual axle weights on a 5-axle artic. That’s not based on the UK lawbook but 33 separate countries I’ve had the pleasure of driving a lorry through.

Decret 2012-1359 4th dec 2012.
This is France only. Increase from 40 to 44tonnes for vehicles over 4 axles. As Switchlogic was saying there was an alteration suggested for 2019 yo make it only permissible on 6 axles but following protest this is currently on hold I think.
Try looking on
developpement durable gouv fr
Also note there are special rules for round timber. IE loggers.
48 t on 5 axles and 57 t on 6. But that’s with specific permit flashing lights etc.
Someone wants to tell me I’m wrong I’ll listen. Won’t be the first time.
Having trouble with alf-arsed data connection. And a alf-arsed brain says some.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

In Holland
Front axle 10 ton
Drive axle 11.5 ton
Trailer 3 axle 24 ton
= 45 ton
With a widespread trailer 9 ton per axle = 27 ton = 49.5 ton
There are ridged tipper vehicles 10x8 what are legal up to 49 ton
werktuigen.nl/transporttech … -7280.html

Yup, forgot to add legal nowhere in International traffic, in response to AndrewG-s post, which implies that it is only the UK that limits 5-axle artics to 40t.

The limits in France aren’t readily slapped onto any run-of-the-mill 5-axle artic either, you need a special dispensation from the manufacturers of both the truck and trailer that they are within the technically permissible weights at 44ton.

As for Holland my question is: how do you get the front axle of a 5-axle artic to 10 ton? My personal best is less than 9 but by then the drive was probably around 15 and the whole combo around 50 :laughing: In which case you can say that 45t gross combination weight is permitted but quite impossible to achieve.

milodon:
Yup, forgot to add legal nowhere in International traffic, in response to AndrewG-s post, which implies that it is only the UK that limits 5-axle artics to 40t.

The limits in France aren’t readily slapped onto any run-of-the-mill 5-axle artic either, you need a special dispensation from the manufacturers of both the truck and trailer that they are within the technically permissible weights at 44ton.

I think the UK is a little conservative on its weights as it always has been. I run at 44t on 5 and never found it a problem, my current unit (soon to be replaced) is 65t rated longwheelbase 4x2 and we pull long pin old spec tilts, some from the 80’s…

So what axle weights are you running at?

Maybe things have changed drastically in the past 5 years, but back then a total weight of 44300 was enough to warrant a roadside unloading at the weighbridge at Pamplona. And running steel and paper (on top of each other) to Spain and wine+groupage (again :laughing: ) back to Scandinavia I was very aware of the legal weights and how early I needed to cross into Spain to avoid the weighbridge in Behobia…

7.5-9t steer, 12-13t drive and 24t (or thereabouts) on the bogie…
I only ever run fully freighted so dont have problems with diminishing loads. Ive always used LWB 4x2’s, a 6x2 doesnt have the space to run 1400litre tanks :wink:
The Hungarian co. we pull for seem to have the idea that if more will fit just sling it on never mind the weight… :grimacing:

Yes a 4x2 is what we are talking about here, I have seen a million klicks or so behind the wheel of one myself.

I have a hard time understanding the legality of such a setup when traversing Spain and France due to the following points:

In France the max weight for driveaxle on a 5-axle lorry with a gcw of more than 40t is not 13t, but 12t. Source: https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000026729044&categorieLien=id

In Spain the gcw of a 5-axle lorry is 40 tons, unless intermodal. And driveaxle is only 11.5t, as in almost all of Europe.
Source: https://goo.gl/IC7Ezj

I can also say that I never had a problem with regularly churning out 110+ driving hours per fortnight and loading 30t more often than not but I’d say that’s probably thanks to my preference of driving in the dark and keeping it low-key, thus getting weighed once every three years and the card checked every two :laughing:

milodon:
I can also say that I never had a problem with regularly churning out 110+ driving hours per fortnight and loading 30t more often than not but I’d say that’s probably thanks to my preference of driving in the dark and keeping it low-key, thus getting weighed once every three years and the card checked every two :laughing:

Weighed once in three years, you did your homework then where the scales were :grimacing:
We often come across variable weights on the paperwork with like for like loads from Greece especially. I know exactly the gross weight of my unit with tanks brimmed buts its often a lottery the gross weight of some of these old tilts we pull loaded to the hilt with agg…

Good man M but that be a few years back, I certainly wouldn’t want to risk bad disks in Spain these days, hear fines are eye watering for minor things, any comment on this Andrew?

They were handing out major fines left and right by then already, but the risk of getting caught was marginal. Drive a decent lorry that’s clean, nondescript, modest and stay off the radar (no obvious infringements like celly in hand, overtaking in a ban zone, speeding, tailgating) and with a little luck you can get away with murder.

Of course you do have to mind the regular openings of the scales (when scales are open/gendarmerie is on the lookout at the peage then take the lane that takes you straight to them, they will not be interested in you then) and if eventually checked, don’t be guilty of everything. I used to never run over my daily driving time and never took a break shorter than the 9/11 needed, also showed a lot of other work on the card. But I ran from Monday morning up to the Saturday evening ban in either Germany (when heading South) or France (direction North), then took a 24(even added a minute to the 24h00 when feeling generous) and rolled onto next Saturday evening, with a 24 again. So 90hours of driving was usually up Thursday afternoon. 110+h fortnight driving and almost never a 45h weekend was the modus operandi for me. And about 50 other lorries pulling the same trailers…

In four years of 14.500km per month average my card was checked on three occasions. On two occasions I had just finished my month of rest (worked 8 weeks on, four off) so had nothing to worry about. The third time was a very unexpected check at the Lille border on a Saturday morning, where I got a stern talking to but nothing else. They were probably waiting for bigger fish, like tang V8s heading for the boat on their bosses card :laughing:

Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but in ten years of international driving I think I’ve paid a grand total of maybe €300 in fines…

short walk:
Good man M but that be a few years back, I certainly wouldn’t want to risk bad disks in Spain these days, hear fines are eye watering for minor things, any comment on this Andrew?

Well… as miloden quite rightly says , if you keep off the radar with a well kept unit (mines always immaculate and mechanically perfect) and your tachos in order and you know which routes not to take chances are you’ll be fine. The trailers we pull are tatty but i always without fail check tyres and lights and rectify any glaringly obvious faults. Tbh ive only ever been fined twice, once was for a defective trailer tyre (hadnt spotted the split) and once for a minor tacho time infringement. Ill freely admit to having a slight variation of the 90kph limit ie 100kph but ive never had a problem with it. Youre right ref fines though, some can be stupidly high for a minor offence but in other cases ive heard of can be very low for more serious issues, they do vary from one province to the next…

On for Sjarnstroms at the time? Very sensible routines and a lot of luck I would say. Are you still on the Norway work?

I worked for RTM, which was started by two gaffers and one swedish subbie from Stjärnströms who left when they started using traction from Macedonia. Was a pretty decent company but the hours were expected from everyone. Closed up shop a fewyears back due to irreconcilable differences between the owners.

I’m on Norway work, but a different kind. I now work for a roofing company in Bodö, constructing flat roofs in the whole Nord-Norge. Sitting all day was beginning to get to my health again.