60mph limiter after Brexit?

As far as I’m aware the speed limit on our motorways is still 60mph. Does that then mean we can change the speed limiter once we’ve left? Or in fact bin it altogether?

Probably unlikely to happen due to most trucks being designed to give best performance and economy at 56mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too many out there can’t keep the bloody things upright at 55mph on a straight road with all the stability and traction ■■■■■■■■ currently fitted and all the traffic going the same way, would you really trust 'em at 60?

as damoq says,very much doubt it as it will be about fuel economy,quite a majority of haulage companies were up for the 52mph to 56mph when it first started,they won’t be altering the limiters in the near future to 60mph

Not a chance the (ZBs) can’t keep a safe distance at 56 or less.
Imagine the extra carnage when they plough into something at 60.

Juddian, Uncle Albie, agreed it’d be carnage, but there’s too many people in the country now so… :wink:

Just change Euro 90 kph to UK 90 mph. Seems as sensible as some other suggestions.

Or maybe just keep things as they are.

Juddian:
Too many out there can’t keep the bloody things upright at 55mph on a straight road with all the stability and traction ■■■■■■■■ currently fitted and all the traffic going the same way, would you really trust 'em at 60?

But we used to go 60 (and a tad over) before the limiter was invented, I used to do quite a bit of Scotch work from Avonmouth many moons ago and got pretty tidy at keeping it dead on 60 whenever conditions allowed which was quite often then and still haven’t lost the knack.

Can’t see there being a dramatic change unless a company specifies that the truck is set to 60mph when purchased from new.

Knowing how obsessed this country is with H&S, I very much doubt you will see increase in speed limit. Quite the opposite, it might go down even more.
In many countries in EU trucks are still driven at 100km/h/62mph, simply the limiter is adjusted to 100, not to 90.

bald bloke:

Juddian:

But we used to go 60 (and a tad over) before the limiter was invented, I used to do quite a bit of Scotch work from Avonmouth many moons ago and got pretty tidy at keeping it dead on 60 whenever conditions allowed which was quite often then and still haven’t lost the knack.

Yeah I remember doing 60 and sometimes 60+ but I do not remember so many idiots around. I may be wearing rose tinted specs but I don’t think so.
Roads were definitely not so busy. That’s for sure.
So is it all down to speed limiters?
NO its drivers with no self control or just a complete lack of staying safe.
If I leave a proper gap someone fills it and all these types of (zb) excuses for their bad driving.

Oh yeah and there was nobody yapping on phones and being distracted in these days.

bald bloke:

Juddian:

Careful of course to drop it back on the A74 dual carriageway at Metal Bridge where there was always a speed cop semi-hidden.

Dolph:
Knowing how obsessed this country is with H&S, I very much doubt you will see increase in speed limit. Quite the opposite, it might go down even more.

The Speed limit for HGV’s was raised on single and dual carriageways in 2015, so it does happen and it not about raising the speed limit but enabling the vehicles to do the current legal limit.

Although personally I’m not overly worried about raising the limiter limit

Dolph:
In many countries in EU trucks are still driven at 100km/h/62mph, simply the limiter is adjusted to 100, not to 90.

Is that not in contravention of EEC Council Directive 92/6/EEC?

Member States shall take the necessary measures to ensure that motor vehicles of
category N3 shall be used on the road only if equipped
with a device set in such a way that their speed cannot exceed 90km/h;

And DIRECTIVE 2002/85/EC?

Member States shall take the necessary measures to
ensure that motor vehicles of categories N2 and N3 may be
used on the road only if equipped with a speed limitation
device set in such a way that their speed cannot exceed 90
kilometres per hour.

Uncle Albie:
Oh yeah and there was nobody yapping on phones and being distracted in these days.

True no phones, especially smartphones, but they were reading map, looking for the correct page in their AtoZ, reaching for their cigarettes and lighter or looking through their cassette collection.

muckles:

Uncle Albie:

True no phones, especially smartphones, but they were reading map, looking for the correct page in their AtoZ, reaching for their cigarettes and lighter or looking through their cassette collection.

with terrible steering,brakes,mirrors and everything else garbage compared to todays megacruiseships.pishing into a bottle or welly boot and all that flat to the mat at 75mph…no problem.

muckles:

Uncle Albie:

Absolutely true. And with better brakes, tyres, and steering etc than before, why are there still accidents?? Because we all drive faster and closer than before, so using up any possible safety gain. Tis human nature to take things up to the limit. And how do we know where the limit is? By occasionally breaking it… We back off a little after a near miss.

Won’t happen. Trucks now are most efficient at 56 yet you still get companies reducing the limit to 52ish to save even more fuel. Our lot are thinking about dropping down to 52.

Dolph:

^
This

Mine does 100kph so do many hundreds of other euro trucks…different to the Uk, here its a variable interpretation of 90kph…

muckles:

Uncle Albie:

[/quote

Yeah possibly a few idiots reading maps on the move etc but I would say more drivers drove in a professional manner than now and there was definitely less anger and impatience on the roads.
People in general were more helpful and courteous.]

damoq:
Probably unlikely to happen due to most trucks being designed to give best performance and economy at 56mph.

Really? Even trucks built in countries where the maximum speed limit is 50mph?