6 weekly check, what's involved?

When you send your truck for it’s 6 weekly check / PMI or whatever you call it, what do they (or in our case should they) have done?

Every time ours have gone in, you tell them ‘this ain’t right, getting a bit sluggish, maybe can you look at…’

You go and collect vehicle and you feel as if nowt’s been done to it. :frowning:

I’m getting the same fault time and time again AFTER I get mine back - ‘low fuel pressure…’ and some ‘low brake pressure on axle 4’ warning. :imp:

Now for what happened yesterday, Started truck did checks, couldn’t get ANY gears - stick was ‘frozen’, couldn’t move it!

Waited for truck to warm up, got it going eventually, took it to garage (Main Iveco dealer), said they couldn’t do it, has to go direct to a Volvo dealer (the ones we used to go to and seemed to get a better service… :unamused: ).

Let’s see what they say, and ‘find’ that Iveco dealer has missed for god knows how long. :frowning:

More of a safety inspection than a service.
Cant imagine the fitter carrying out any non essential repairs on a 6 weeker.
Mind you,seems that if you drive a lorry on a r+m contract ■■■■ all is repaired or rectified when its in for a service.

Thought so, the annoying bit is at ours, you tell them (with authority from TM) to have XY & Z done while it’s in (2 birds / 1 stone)

And it still doesn’t get done, you then lose another days work when it has to go back 9rebooked in) to be repaired/fixed. :imp:

And then in my case over the passed 2 days, they then say ‘we can’t do XYZ - got to go to main dealer’!!! :imp:

Some garage this is!! :unamused:

it all depends on what the company owner is paying the service provider to do

a friend of mine used to work for a company, he was always moaning about the state of the trucks and the lack of service/repairs from the garage that was doing the maintenance contract

the thing was, the garage was doing exactly what it was told to do by the company, and nothing more

Bring back proper mechanics and get rid of the motor vehicle technicians!! :laughing:

shuttlespanker:
it all depends on what the company owner is paying the service provider to do

a friend of mine used to work for a company, he was always moaning about the state of the trucks and the lack of service/repairs from the garage that was doing the maintenance contract

the thing was, the garage was doing exactly what it was told to do by the company, and nothing more

Sounds like what’s happening at ours then. :frowning: Going down the ‘cheap/get what you pay for’ road.

We started calling it the ‘6 weekly walk round’. And they wonder why we’re having so many break downs too… :unamused: :grimacing:

Lets not forget that drivers nowadays are just that . . . drivers.
Sorry but back in the old days(wheres the yawn smiley :stuck_out_tongue: )there were things called transport and road haulage companies and iirc most of them had in house workshops or at least a shed with a ramp or pit .
The mechanics didnt have to be told if there was a problem with a vehicle,they would notice and repair it(or bodge it)until the next time :laughing:

As already said its a Safety Inspection, this, depending on the contract may only involve inspection of the items deemed to be in servicable condition for safety purposes, brakes, steering, lights, windscreen, air leaks etc. The vehicle should still get a full inspection including road test and brake test but non safety defects may not be done, it all depends on the agreed contract which the traffic manager may not always be fully aware of, although if I was him I’d make it my business to find out.
The other angle is dealerships are not as hot as they were 20 or 30 years ago, they are struggling at times for good time served experienced mechanics, we know this is the case in our area as some of our mechanics have worked previously or know others that work in these places so keep up to date with how things are. A severe lack of Apprenticeship training over the years especially in the heavy sector means the good guys are scarce and young lads just don’t seem to want to get into truck mechanics anymore.
All the more reason why drivers should do the checks required of them and get to know their vehicles and how what works. I know from some of the questions and answers on here that some drivers don’t even know they have a Secondary brake system or how the spring brake system basically works. In todays blame culture you need to cover your backside, people have gone to jail for a long spell when things have gone badly wrong. Franky.

The six weekly check or preventative maintenance inspection as it’s sometimes called, is supposed to be exactly the same examination as is performed at a Vosa test station. It is purely a safety inspection and nothing more.This is all that the operator is required to have done, apart from the rectfication of defects found, or rather the categorising of what requires immediate attention and what can be kept under observation or attended to later.

As has been said, everything not on that list will only be done with the authority of whoever is picking up the bill. So unless some sort of service is being carried out at the same time, the oil, screenwash etc won’t necessarily be topped up.

Just like the haulage company, garages have to plan work which means that unless the list of extra work is ‘booked in’ at the time of placing the booking, there may well not be sufficient fitter’s time or parts available to attend to those items before the vehicle has to be returned.

cav551:
The six weekly check or preventative maintenance inspection as it’s sometimes called, is supposed to be exactly the same examination as is performed at a Vosa test station. It is purely a safety inspection and nothing more.This is all that the operator is required to have done, apart from the rectfication of defects found, or rather the categorising of what requires immediate attention and what can be kept under observation or attended to later.

As has been said, everything not on that list will only be done with the authority of whoever is picking up the bill. So unless some sort of service is being carried out at the same time, the oil, screenwash etc won’t necessarily be topped up.

Just like the haulage company, garages have to plan work which means that unless the list of extra work is ‘booked in’ at the time of placing the booking, there may well not be sufficient fitter’s time or parts available to attend to those items before the vehicle has to be returned.

are you saying that the 6 weekly inspection is the same as an MoT?

I’m almost sure that when’s ours go in all they do is put a plastic cover over the seat throw a few things around the cab for effect.

I’ve seen a notice on the wall at the garage we go to and it states ‘Do not top up engine oil, only inform’.

Wonder if it’s to stop the garage from charging a ‘phantom’ engine oil top up?

Yes.

Quote Vosa’s Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness: “A roadworthiness safety inspection must include all the items covered by the statutory annual test.”

The operator will usually have had to submit a copy of the inspection sheet that will be used, at the time of O licence application.

Vosa’s view is that the MOT is a MINIMUM standard which the vehicle should be able to meet at any time. Their view is also realistic, six weeks is not set in stone - it is a realistic time scale for most vehicles. Some eg muckaway vehicles, need to be checked more frequently; others can go longer than six weeks. The lack of some of the equipment found in test stations ought not to be a problem, Vosa make their own equipment available to anyone who wishes to use it for a very sensible fee. A ‘multi check’: Roller brake test, emissions and headlamp alignment for a two axle vehicle is in the region of £23. A check using the shaker plates is also available for an additional fee.
‘Designated Premises’ are also obliged to make their equipment available at similar fees.

Just for contrast, the regime for London buses is stricter and is set in stone. The inspection is referred to as a ‘28 day inspection’ and from memory at 31 days the vehicle has to be withdrawn from service until that inspection has been done. Garages operate what is known as a ‘24hour sheet’ on which every vehicle that passes through the workshop daily is recorded along with the reason for its presence, this sheet is part of the maintenance records.

Suedehead:
Bring back proper mechanics and get rid of the motor vehicle technicians!! :laughing:

most of us did running repairs ourselves! :open_mouth: twenty years ago plus anyhow! :unamused: :sunglasses:

Same thing on the buses.
It seems they are only interested in PG’9’s.

All about cost I reckon.

Fatboy slimslow:

Suedehead:

most of us did running repairs ourselves! :open_mouth: twenty years ago plus anyhow! :unamused: :sunglasses:

Any idea how easy it is to drain the fuel filters of water, on a Volvo 380 FM12 8x4 then? :confused:

We used to send ours in to an independant garage that had a contract to be part of a national repair centre,
We were told to leave notes on the dash if anything needed looking at out of service spec, and we would get a note left when they dropped it off (job done, didnt have time, couldnt be arsed etc),
1 note I got back when it had come back from service - Low on oil, needs topping up. :open_mouth: The oil was on minimum on the dipper :unamused:

Any idea how easy it is to drain the fuel filters of water, on a Volvo 380 FM12 8x4 then?

There should be a drain on the pre filter which will be located away from the engine usually mounted on the chassis either inside or outside. Are you asking this because you have a warning message or symbol come up? Opening the screw on the base of the filter for about 30 secs or until all signs of water have drained should do the trick.

Frankydobo:
The other angle is dealerships are not as hot as they were 20 or 30 years ago, they are struggling at times for good time served experienced mechanics, we know this is the case in our area as some of our mechanics have worked previously or know others that work in these places so keep up to date with how things are.

Not suprised. Our local Volvo dealers were advertising for time served fitters.
Went to see the gaffer, had a good chat. All good, asked me when I could start.
I said that depends on the rate. £7.50 an hour for the first 3 months, then £8 an hour :open_mouth:
He said I looked shocked, and he was prepared to haggle a little.
I thanked him for his time and left :laughing:

One of my good mates has been at MAN on the spanners for nearly 20 years, and he’s on £9 an hour now.

Maybe if they’re stuck for experienced fitters they should review their wage rates a bit.