6 weekly check, what's involved?

Hi cieranac
i have twenty years of experience as a hgv mechanic and other skills welding, fabrication,electrics,hydraulicsetc. had been away from trade for a few years thought of going back earlier this year but when i saw hourly rate thought no
working in factory at moment building powered access platforms on quite a bit more money than the going rate for hgv mechanics
i work day shift only no weekends and overtime as and when no stress.
perhaps as you say if they offered a decent rate then they would get staff
mick

cav551:
Yes.

Quote Vosa’s Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness: “A roadworthiness safety inspection must include all the items covered by the statutory annual test.”

The operator will usually have had to submit a copy of the inspection sheet that will be used, at the time of O licence application.

Vosa’s view is that the MOT is a MINIMUM standard which the vehicle should be able to meet at any time. Their view is also realistic, six weeks is not set in stone - it is a realistic time scale for most vehicles. Some eg muckaway vehicles, need to be checked more frequently; others can go longer than six weeks. The lack of some of the equipment found in test stations ought not to be a problem, Vosa make their own equipment available to anyone who wishes to use it for a very sensible fee. A ‘multi check’: Roller brake test, emissions and headlamp alignment for a two axle vehicle is in the region of £23. A check using the shaker plates is also available for an additional fee.
‘Designated Premises’ are also obliged to make their equipment available at similar fees.

I agree that a six weekly is just the same items being checked as an MOT (although something like the RHA standard sheet will have stuff like fluid levels etc. that don’t feature on VOSA’s test sheet). Others have disagreed with me before but here’s the VOSA video on it.

They seem to be fairly lenient on what equipment you can use, providing it’s effective, they actually show quite a few of the well known but low cost alternatives to expensive workshop kit like beam testers and shaker plates. I also personally think you’re ok with an approved deccelerometer as well, ideally with a printer, provided if there was a noticeable deterioration in efficiency you took it for a volutary on a roller tester. I think the only costly must have bit of kit to do inspections is access to either a ramp or a pit.

As far as doing inspections for customers I will happily top up fluids, replace marker bulbs etc, and add a small cost to the invoice for a component but it’s not a substitute for a service on the cheap. It’s difficult as well when they say something like replace any consumables then moan about the cost of something like a cab pollen filter on the invoice and say you needn’t have bothered with that.

cieranc:

Frankydobo:
The other angle is dealerships are not as hot as they were 20 or 30 years ago, they are struggling at times for good time served experienced mechanics, we know this is the case in our area as some of our mechanics have worked previously or know others that work in these places so keep up to date with how things are.

Not suprised. Our local Volvo dealers were advertising for time served fitters.
Went to see the gaffer, had a good chat. All good, asked me when I could start.
I said that depends on the rate. £7.50 an hour for the first 3 months, then £8 an hour :open_mouth:
He said I looked shocked, and he was prepared to haggle a little.
I thanked him for his time and left :laughing:

One of my good mates has been at MAN on the spanners for nearly 20 years, and he’s on £9 an hour now.

Maybe if they’re stuck for experienced fitters they should review their wage rates a bit.

Considering they’ll be charging 10x that for a six weekly you’d think they ought to be printing money at these dealers but I never get the impression they are so where the ■■■■ the money all goes I don’t know.

I think cieranc has hit the nail firmly on the head. The money offered by many garages to experienced fitters is an insult in comparison to the investment the employee has made in tools of the trade and knowledge. Compared to driver’s shifts I suppose the shift patterns are better, but they are certainly not particularly appealing. In return what does the company offer? Some thinks-he-knows-it-all manager going chase, chase, chase all the time and manufacturers arbitrarily announcing that the time ‘allowed’ for a job has been reduced by x percent. This for something like £9 hr in conditions which, when the workshop is full and it is dark outside, frequently resemble a medieval dungeon for lighting levels.