6 Hour rule WTD

I know the WTD has been covered in other topics but i can’t find a clear answer on this. Any help would be appreciated. WTD states

Breaks
Drivers completing a working period of between 6 and 9 hours must take a break(s) totaling at least 30 minutes.
Where periods of work exceed 9 hours a break(s) totaling at least 45 minutes must be taken.
Only breaks of at least 15 minutes qualify towards these breaks.

My confusion lies and I don’t think it is very clear. You do a combined work/drive of 5 hours you then take a 45 min break knowing you are going to be working over 9 hours and to reset driving time clock. My question is this can you then work/drive another 7+hours without a break as long as you don’t drive over 4 and a half hours.

No, you may not. The over-riding rule (for Working Time purposes) is that you must not work for more than 6 hours without a break. So in the circumstances you mention, you will have to slip another 15 minutes’ break into that 7 hours somewhere.

A more efficient way of doing it would be to split that initial 45 minute break, and only take 15 minutes during the first 5 hours, then take the remaining 30 minutes a bit later on (but keeping an eye on your driving time to make sure you take it before you reach 4.5 hours driving).

pepsifarr:
I know the WTD has been covered in other topics but i can’t find a clear answer on this. Any help would be appreciated. WTD states

Breaks
Drivers completing a working period of between 6 and 9 hours must take a break(s) totaling at least 30 minutes.
Where periods of work exceed 9 hours a break(s) totaling at least 45 minutes must be taken.
Only breaks of at least 15 minutes qualify towards these breaks.

My confusion lies and I don’t think it is very clear. You do a combined work/drive of 5 hours you then take a 45 min break knowing you are going to be working over 9 hours and to reset driving time clock. My question is this can you then work/drive another 7+hours without a break as long as you don’t drive over 4 and a half hours.

No, well not legally anyway.

The other rule which is commonly known as the 6 hour rule states that no worker should work more than 6 hours without a break, so even though you’ve had enough break for the day you still should comply with the 6 hour rule which means that you would need another 15 minute break before going over another 6 hours working time.

6 hours max for other work then a break as soon as you had a 45 you start a fresh 6 hours I think :slight_smile:

Many thanks, it appears I’ve been given duff gen then in the past.

pepsifarr:

Oh you’ve been on your dcpc course then. :smiley:

bald bloke:

pepsifarr:

Oh you’ve been on your dcpc course then. :smiley:

lol :sunglasses:

FFS looks like the CPC course has done it again :imp:

i was asked this and i said you had to take 15 mins break within 6 hours of working and i was told by the examiner that i was wrong and i had to take 30 mins break before the 6 hours was up !! :open_mouth:

so now ive been going about with the wrong information !!

wheres my drivers qualification card im going to rip it up !! :stuck_out_tongue:

This is one of the most misunderstood & confused points regarding Drivers’ Hours/WTD rules. Not only misunderstood by drivers but also management and it would seem DCPC ‘trainers’…which is bad news!!!

We were shown a powerpoint slide on our DCPC course that was taken (borrowed) from the EOS Management CPC notes - it explained the 15 minutes break requirement very well - as a kind of colour coded timeline. Bang…done in one slide. Followed by re-enforcement via the FTA Drivers Hours rules DVD. The same info. in a different format - it can work!!! Of course depends on quality and knowledge of the trainer.

All DCPC trainers/transport office staff & dare I say drivers too should be 100 % clued up on this by now. It’s not difficult after all!!!

The problem being trainers take all their info from all over the place and not from one source… :unamused:

Ive just read that if you are working 6 hours then you take 15 mins break but…

if you are working 6-9 hours then you must take a 30 min break before the 6 hours are up :confused:

and you can break them up into 2X15 min breaks

but i was told on my cpc course that the 30 mins break referred to just working 6 hours !!

Doesn’t matter where they get it - If it’s wrong, it’s wrong. Simple as that.

ok so …

if i started work at 4am

other work /drive (but under my 4.5hours drive time) till 10am

took my 45min rest at 10am

if i wanted to other work/drive (but under my reset 4.5 hours drive time) till 5pm what WTD rest would i have to take?

pump:
ok so …

if i started work at 4am

other work /drive (but under my 4.5hours drive time) till 10am

took my 45min rest at 10am

if i wanted to other work/drive (but under my reset 4.5 hours drive time) can i work till 5pm ?

Without taking any further breaks (or POA), you can work until 4.45pm - working any later will require another 15 minute break (or POA).

As an aside, POA is not subject to the “at least 15 minutes” rule, so you could have 3 separate periods of POA, of 5 minutes each, which would push the time to 5pm (but would not reset the 6hr Working Time clock…)

Why anyone would want work 6 hrs or more without a break is beyond me.

ok so you have to take at least 30min rest in your first 6hours of starting work?

If the shift is from 4am to 5pm then if possible use a split driving break of 15 + 30 so that it makes the latter part of the shift as low as possible

Maybe take 15 mins at 10am then 30 mins at 11 am …

pump:
ok so you have to take at least 30min rest in your first 6hours of starting work?

NO

ROG:
If the shift is from 4am to 5pm then if possible use a split driving break of 15 + 30 so that it makes the latter part of the shift as low as possible

Maybe take 15 mins at 10am then 30 mins at 11 am …

no was not talking about driving hours (4.5 hours) rog

in the first 6 hours of the shift for the WTD hours what in the minimum time i would have to stop to stay within the WTD hours?
if i did not have any pao or rest in the first 6 hours of other work/driving and still had time on my 4.5 hour driving time