54mph trucks, banned from overtaking

i think all trucks that have limiters set under 54mph should be banned from overtaking on motorways.
anyone else agree?

limeyphil:
i think all trucks that have limiters set under 54mph should be banned from overtaking on motorways.
anyone else agree?

I think something like this is on it’s way. Currently we have similar restrictions on >7.5 tonnes on the M11 A14 M42 that I know of. The introduction of these schemes can be laid fairly and squarely at the door of those ■■■■■ who have to overtake anything in front of them even if they’re only going half a mile an hour faster than the vehicle they’re overtaking.

44 Tonne Ton:

limeyphil:
anyone else agree?

I think something like this is on it’s way. Currently we have similar restrictions on >7.5 tonnes on the M11 A14 M42 that I know of. The introduction of these schemes can be laid fairly and squarely at the door of those ■■■■■ who have to overtake anything in front of them even if they’re only going half a mile an hour faster than the vehicle they’re overtaking.

you know, i see this far far too often. just last week i was behind an artic who was overtaking a rigid.

yes it took him 15 mins yep 11 miles . the realy sad thing was the artic driver then pulled into colsterworth t/stop 2 mins later. what a friggin nob.

greggy:

44 Tonne Ton:

limeyphil:
anyone else agree?

you know, i see this far far too often. just last week i was behind an artic who was overtaking a rigid.

yes it took him 15 mins yep 11 miles . the realy sad thing was the artic driver then pulled into colsterworth t/stop 2 mins later. what a friggin nob.

Agreed! A complete ■■■■■■! Name and shame! :grimacing:

Im limited to 50, but I still overtake on duals/motorways

Mainly grannys and tesco and sainsburys wagons, but I still overtake if I know it aint going to take a lifetime to get passed :slight_smile:

disagree. im stuck at 53mph, i tend not to overtake on the flat, (apart from tesco etc)but if im empty, im not going to sit behind someone going up a hill fully freighted and slow down to 40mph, (usually after theyve just overtaken me)

Another stupid idea, if you don’t like following lorries get an office job.

Only problem is when the 54mph trucks catch up to a packet of five or more of our Heavy Equipment Transporters which only go 40mph on motorways, and cranes etc

It’s the not the overtaker that’s the ■■■■■■ anyway, it’s the ■■■■ that won’t allow the faster lorry to go. Half a mile faster or not, at some point in the journey the truck overtaking has been faster. Again on most things on the road, common sense must prevail.

waddy640:

not really stupid.
if they are banned from overtaking at low speeds, then maybe the office bods who decide to limit their hgv’s to 49-54mph will decide to get them set up a bit more.

Ay up chaps from a newbie , ive only ever seen this happen once , i was behind a truck that was overtaken another and it dragged on for miles , behind me was a motorway copper , once we got past the inside driver ,plod stopped him .Its the inside vehicle that can get their collar felt for impeding a overtaking vehicles progress , The only reason i know that because i asked a motorway plod :smiley: .Plus i think its courteous to let a fellow driver past :smiley:

i agree the slower truck should knock it back a couple clicks out of courtesy , doesnt happen very often :unamused:

limeyphil:

waddy640:

not really stupid.
if they are banned from overtaking at low speeds, then maybe the office bods who decide to limit their hgv’s to 49-54mph will decide to get them set up a bit more.

Your OP said 54 mph, now you are saying low speeds. How do you establish the precise speed that the vehicle is limited to. I drive many different lorries that have different speeds quoted as max speed on limiter, but some go faster some slower than that speed.

If I cannot pass within a reasonable time and distance then I stay behind until a more appropriate occasion arises. It is the idiots that must get past however long it takes that cause the problems and until they use common sense or the law intervenes, they will continue to carry on doing it.

limeyphil:
anyone else agree?

You sound just like a wingey arsed car driver, for a driver to come out with a statement like that stinks… what about hgv’s limited to 56 overtaking hgv limited to 56.

i dont mind sitting at 54 and letting everyone else pass me, but if i catch someone else up i am not just going to sit behind them.

So there is a line of 10 artics all doing 54mph, limeyphil comes along doing 56ph how long is that one gonna take :laughing:

limeyphil:
anyone else agree?

That would mean all trucks are banned from overtaking as under EU rules, ALL speed limiters have to be set to 85KPH…

They will probably before long ban all trucks from overtaking anyway!
Problem solved then :smiling_imp:

Why not get rid of limiters & impose massive fines & bans for constant speed infringments

Does it really matter? Personally i think its well funny.

limeyphil:
anyone else agree?

No.