54mph trucks, banned from overtaking

i think all trucks that have limiters set under 54mph should be banned from overtaking on motorways.
anyone else agree?

bloody ell phil ya mustve been bored today to come up with summat like this :smiley: :wink:

After careful consideration it is only fair on the travelling public to designate the national motorway system a Truck Only Zone. Cars ,buses & bikes would have action packed hours on the old roads therefor avoiding that mind numbing chore of driving on a motorway.
Hope this helps?

waddy640:

limeyphil:

waddy640:
Another stupid idea, if you don’t like following lorries get an office job.

not really stupid.
if they are banned from overtaking at low speeds, then maybe the office bods who decide to limit their hgv’s to 49-54mph will decide to get them set up a bit more.

Your OP said 54 mph, now you are saying low speeds. How do you establish the precise speed that the vehicle is limited to. I drive many different lorries that have different speeds quoted as max speed on limiter, but some go faster some slower than that speed.

If I cannot pass within a reasonable time and distance then I stay behind until a more appropriate occasion arises. It is the idiots that must get past however long it takes that cause the problems and until they use common sense or the law intervenes, they will continue to carry on doing it.

it says under 54mph.
the idea behind the thread, is to get people to discuss the pro’s and cons of such an idea. and in the discussion it is becoming quite clear that it isn’t always the overtaking truck that is at fault.
it is the stubborn [zb] on the inside.
if drivers start being courtious to one another, it won’t need to happen.

merc0447:
So there is a line of 10 artics all doing 54mph, limeyphil comes along doing 56ph how long is that one gonna take :laughing:

Long enough to get the ciggies out and onto one of the slow lorries… :laughing:

Muckaway:

merc0447:
So there is a line of 10 artics all doing 54mph, limeyphil comes along doing 56ph how long is that one gonna take :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

mine does 58 with the wind behind it, so it won’t take too long.

limeyphil:

Muckaway:

merc0447:

mine does 58 with the wind behind it, so it won’t take too long.

We’ve got a V reg in the yard that does 58 with the wind against it, and doesn’t have any bling…you should see the dreamcatcher brigades faces when they’re passed by it :laughing:

FarnboroughBoy11:
It’s the not the overtaker that’s the ■■■■■■ anyway, it’s the ■■■■ that won’t allow the faster lorry to go. Half a mile faster or not, at some point in the journey the truck overtaking has been faster. Again on most things on the road, common sense must prevail.

You’re singing from my hymn sheet, I normaly set the cruise control at 85ks, even at that speed Im surprised the amount of other trucks I catch up to. Now if I’ve caught a slower, even only slightly slower wagon I’m not going to stop behind him, but because I’ve got a spare 5ks to get past with, I can normally get the overtake done and dusted quickly. But its not unusual that the wagon, who’s been doing say 83-84 ks to this point, to suddenly find a bit more speed when I’m right beside them. then its me that look the Jerk to everyone else.What is that all about. I dont suddenly speed up because a wagon is overtaking me, and I’ll back off if a wagon has hit a hill whilst overtaking me( if he’s more than halyway past), Its only sensible.
As for overtaking bans, alot seem to ignore them.

FarnboroughBoy11:
It’s the not the overtaker that’s the ■■■■■■ anyway, it’s the ■■■■ that won’t allow the faster lorry to go. Half a mile faster or not, at some point in the journey the truck overtaking has been faster. Again on most things on the road, common sense must prevail.

Have you ever seen a motor race?

FarnboroughBoy11:

Bollox! Read your Highway Code! It will tell you to overtake as quickly as possible and not to let a queue of traffic build up behind you. Don’t just quote the little bit that suits your side of the argument i.e. a vehicle being overtaken should knock it back to assist an overtaker. No overtaking should be attempted unless you can do it within a reasonable time. The plod mentioned by OTS was talking bollox as is OTS (welcome BTW!), the overtaking vehicle is the one causing the obstruction if he’s taking mile after mile to do it! How much time do you think you’re saving anyway?

As an example I came out of Leicester on a night trunk a few years ago and had this situation. The ■■■■ took something like 10 or 11 miles to pass, not such a problem at night with traffic volumes. I had plenty of time to work out that if he was going to the bottom of the M1 as I was then he would probably get there about 20 seconds before me! I had this confirmed when we did indeed both go to the bottom of the M1 and he got there about 200 yards in front of me.

As an example

OTS:
Ay up chaps from a newbie , ive only ever seen this happen once , i was behind a truck that was overtaken another and it dragged on for miles , behind me was a motorway copper , once we got past the inside driver ,plod stopped him .Its the inside vehicle that can get their collar felt for impeding a overtaking vehicles progress , The only reason i know that because i asked a motorway plod :smiley: .Plus i think its courteous to let a fellow driver past :smiley:

Did you enjoy your pint?

Rob K:

OTS:
Ay up chaps from a newbie , ive only ever seen this happen once , i was behind a truck that was overtaken another and it dragged on for miles , behind me was a motorway copper , once we got past the inside driver ,plod stopped him .Its the inside vehicle that can get their collar felt for impeding a overtaking vehicles progress , The only reason i know that because i asked a motorway plod :smiley: .Plus i think its courteous to let a fellow driver past :smiley:

Did you enjoy your pint?

> 44 Tonne Ton:
> I think something like this is on it’s way. Currently we have similar restrictions on >7.5 tonnes on the M11 A14 M42 that I know of.
I think it depends on how much notice the goverment :imp: take notice of/listen to/hand power over to brussels :imp: ,and of course it’s allready been around for year’s on large sections of german motorway’s and other euro countries

So which is better, 52, 54 or 56?
th_harryhill_fight.jpg

MrHappy:

■■■■ know’s, with a 60 mph motorway speed limit, ive often wondered about the 85kmh limiter.
Our gaffer wants us to run at 50 mph to “save fuel”, engine’s labouring more doing that, I think, anyone know how to do the conversion to mpg from L/1000km? :confused: (its a daf, and i can only get the L/1000km figure).
I miss the volvo dash A LOT :cry:

I agree with 44tonne…It’s not the slow driver who’s always the problem and “knocking it back” is a stupid idea too.

Didn’t we have a similar discussion last year and came to the conclusion that if the “overtake-ie” knocks his speed back, then other trucks behind him will suddenly pull out and start to over take him as well, thus meaning he possibly might have to reduce his speed even further…and surely the point of many posts on here is complaining about how slow the “overtake-ie” is…so making him slow down even further just seems retarded!

I had a situation earlier today, which is common…I was in an empty Sainsbury’s truck heading on the A303 back to Basingstoke…towards the bottom of a hill, a heavy Agri-Bulk truck started to over take me, he got most of the way past but guess what…there was an up-hill part, with lots of traffic behind him. I just left it on cruise control and sailed past him, leaving him to pull back in behind me.

Now…if I’d have “knocked it back” I would have been reduced to about 30mph, and because of the line of traffic behind him, I wouldn’t of been able to pull back out…Why should I have to slow down all because he couldn’t read the road ahead properly?

As 44tonne says…the person doing the over taking should make sure they can do it in a timely fasion…ffs, its not hard :unamused:

mjbaron:

MrHappy:

[zb] know’s, with a 60 mph motorway speed limit, ive often wondered about the 85kmh limiter.
Our gaffer wants us to run at 50 mph to “save fuel”, engine’s labouring more doing that, I think, anyone know how to do the conversion to mpg from L/1000km? :confused: (its a daf, and i can only get the L/1000km figure).
I miss the volvo dash A LOT :cry:

You can change the settings on the dash, at least if they’re still the same as the last Foden Alphas. I get around 9.5mpg and that (according to the Cat computer) equates to 3.something l/km

Adam_Mc:
I agree with 44tonne…It’s not the slow driver who’s always the problem and “knocking it back” is a stupid idea too.

Didn’t we have a similar discussion last year and came to the conclusion that if the “overtake-ie” knocks his speed back, then other trucks behind him will suddenly pull out and start to over take him as well, thus meaning he possibly might have to reduce his speed even further…and surely the point of many posts on here is complaining about how slow the “overtake-ie” is…so making him slow down even further just seems retarded!

I had a situation earlier today, which is common…I was in an empty Sainsbury’s truck heading on the A303 back to Basingstoke…towards the bottom of a hill, a heavy Agri-Bulk truck started to over take me, he got most of the way past but guess what…there was an up-hill part, with lots of traffic behind him. I just left it on cruise control and sailed past him, leaving him to pull back in behind me.

Now…if I’d have “knocked it back” I would have been reduced to about 30mph, and because of the line of traffic behind him, I wouldn’t of been able to pull back out…Why should I have to slow down all because he couldn’t read the road ahead properly?

As 44tonne says…the person doing the over taking should make sure they can do it in a timely fasion…ffs, its not hard :unamused:

You experience what I do Adam; supermarket/tippers/skips just have to be overtaken.

44 Tonne Ton:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Bollox! Read your Highway Code! It will tell you to overtake as quickly as possible and not to let a queue of traffic build up behind you. Don’t just quote the little bit that suits your side of the argument i.e. a vehicle being overtaken should knock it back to assist an overtaker. No overtaking should be attempted unless you can do it within a reasonable time. The plod mentioned by OTS was talking bollox as is OTS (welcome BTW!), the overtaking vehicle is the one causing the obstruction if he’s taking mile after mile to do it! How much time do you think you’re saving anyway?

As an example I came out of Leicester on a night trunk a few years ago and had this situation. The ■■■■ took something like 10 or 11 miles to pass, not such a problem at night with traffic volumes. I had plenty of time to work out that if he was going to the bottom of the M1 as I was then he would probably get there about 20 seconds before me! I had this confirmed when we did indeed both go to the bottom of the M1 and he got there about 200 yards in front of me.

As an example

So you’re saying that he shouldn’t have attempted to overtake even though he could go faster (OK only by a little bit)? How would you feel if the situation was reversed? You know it’s gonna happen:- it takes two to tango. I agree there is little to be gained by such manoeuvres but it all adds up. Still, I prefer economy to speed. BTW, I know you know it, but if you’re bringing the highway code into it, rule 168 states, in part:-

“Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass.”

As FB11 stated, common sense must prevail. What would you lose by knocking your speed off a couple of clicks? Of course if you were short of time then maybe there was a reason for maintaining progress.

As for the OP (no overtaking for “super-restricted vehicles”), what would happen if you met a locomotive or electrical transformer being hauled up a long incline? 90kph is at times a slow enough top speed to have to deal with without being held up by such loads, let alone lower top speeds. Apart from one person, there are always going to be slower drivers than you whom you might wish to pass even if you drive a Coles.

As for Adam_Mc’s situation, that was slightly different; you shouldn’t feel obliged to slow up as I’m sure you’re not, but 44tt’s situation was for 10 miles! and I’ve been behind worse than that.

And as with all things on the road, including “zip merging” we all have our opinion on what’s best but it often depends on the precise conditions.

Muckaway:

Adam_Mc:

You experience what I do Adam; supermarket/tippers/skips just have to be overtaken.

Feel free to overtake me…it makes my life easier as it means I don’t have to over take you :stuck_out_tongue: But just make sure you can get past. I have sometimes slowed down a tiny bit just to let a truck squeeze past but its rare for me to do that. Some people may hate me (even more) for that, but as I’ve said earlier, usually there’s several trucks wanting to over take and I don’t see why I should have to slow down even more to let loads of people go past, bearing in mind I drive at about 48-50 already.

Snudger:

44 Tonne Ton:

FarnboroughBoy11:

As an example

So you’re saying that he shouldn’t have attempted to overtake even though he could go faster (OK only by a little bit)? How would you feel if the situation was reversed? You know it’s gonna happen:- it takes two to tango. I agree there is little to be gained by such manoeuvres but it all adds up. Still, I prefer economy to speed. BTW, I know you know it, but if you’re bringing the highway code into it, rule 168 states, in part:-

“Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass.”

As FB11 stated, common sense must prevail. What would you lose by knocking your speed off a couple of clicks? Of course if you were short of time then maybe there was a reason for maintaining progress.

As for the OP (no overtaking for “super-restricted vehicles”), what would happen if you met a locomotive or electrical transformer being hauled up a long incline? 90kph is at times a slow enough top speed to have to deal with without being held up by such loads, let alone lower top speeds. Apart from one person, there are always going to be slower drivers than you whom you might wish to pass even if you drive a Coles.

As for Adam_Mc’s situation, that was slightly different; you shouldn’t feel obliged to slow up as I’m sure you’re not, but 44tt’s situation was for 10 miles! and I’ve been behind worse than that.

And as with all things on the road, including “zip merging” we all have our opinion on what’s best but it often depends on the precise conditions.

I think this thread could run and run, but surely its obvious that every situation is different, ie, Adam’s was different from 44 tonne ton’s and for every situation we as professional drivers are obliged to choose the right course of action each time. (temper permitting of course) I think that Adam’s response was probably right in his situation but thats just my opinion, also 44 tonne ton has a good point, what exactly did the other driver achieve there? However, if you’re on a 3 or more lane stretch of road and you wish to overtake a slower moving vehicle, as long as you are not impeding any other traffic then where’s the harm? Sure, you can understand why car drivers get ■■■■■■ off when there are 2 trucks side by side for miles on a 2 lane stretch, but for every situation there is also usually a bell end who wants to be as stupid as possible, so whatever happens somebody will always have something to moan about. Superb :laughing: