50mph limit in roadworks

There have been a few posts on here having a dig at people speeding through roadworks (and quite rightly so IMO)
However joining the M1 south at j13 at about 0530 this morning I set the cc at 50 and continued on my merry way until a minute or so later I noticed the traffic slowing ahead. I knocked the cc of and slowed to an indicated 35mph before there was a gap in lane two for me to get into. When I got into lane 2 I hit resume and was amazed at the sight in front of me; the cars in lane 2 had cleared off leaving me with clear road as far as I could see, but in lane 1 was (approx) 60 trucks sat within 10 feet of each others rear bumpers continuously braking and accelerating like a giant conga!
Why oh why oh why?

And as for the pilchard in the plain white scanny unit only who even put his interior light on so I could see him furiously pointing to his speedo “I was doing 50, my speedo, tacho, and sat nav agreed too. If you hadn’t been doing 30 mph then my 50 wouldn’t have looked like I was doing mach2 with my hair on fire” Oh, and while you were gesturing at me maybe a gap of more then 18 inches from the truck in front might have been advisable! :imp:

When I read the title of your post I thought you were going to say about the amount of car drivers sitting in the middle lane doing 40 mph with nothing to overtake for a mile. This is my main gripe with it and what do you do? Undertake? Or go out into 3rd lane? And also is anyone else going northbound around 23:00 as they’re putting us all through contraflow but not actually doing any work in closed part of motorway!
I also whack the cruise on at 50 and apart from the cars not noticing the ‘lorry lane’ on the left and moving out of the way, I’ve not come across any other drivers pointing out my speed. Maybe the other driver was pointing at his fuel gauge and telling you he was slip streaming the lorry in front to save diesel■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My boot is firmly in the “it’s my licence, don’t play policeman” camp. You get a ten % tolerance on your speedo, so I bang my cruise on 54, and I’ve never had a prob. As for the idiots sitting side by side at 42 mph, that does my nut in. If I was in government, I’d give out 3 points for not keeping left, that’d clear the middle lane double quick. And anyone driving a veichle without a speed limiter who takes longer than 30 secs to overtake would get 6 points for obstructing traffic

Always go through on the 56 limiter, have for months in all the bastid things.
Unless at the weekend…I zoom through on the bike at speeds thast would have most of you lot reporting me for riding without due care :unamused: They don`t have front number plates on bikes see… :laughing:

OVLOV JAY:
My boot is firmly in the “it’s my licence, don’t play policeman” camp. You get a ten % tolerance on your speedo, so I bang my cruise on 54, and I’ve never had a prob. As for the idiots sitting side by side at 42 mph, that does my nut in. If I was in government, I’d give out 3 points for not keeping left, that’d clear the middle lane double quick. And anyone driving a veichle without a speed limiter who takes longer than 30 secs to overtake would get 6 points for obstructing traffic

and i would give you 3 points for speeding 50 is the limit in the roadworks for a reason but for the sad few it is never fast enough.
nothing worse in roadworks especially when they are narrow lanes than some speed merchant trying to squeeze past. 50 for a reason!

overdrive:

OVLOV JAY:

and i would give you 3 points for speeding 50 is the limit in the roadworks for a reason but for the sad few it is never fast enough.
nothing worse in roadworks especially when they are narrow lanes than some speed merchant trying to squeeze past. 50 for a reason!

54 in a 50, not exactly dangerous is it? In fact it’s a hell of a lot safer than sitting at 50, the reason being that all the ‘law abing’ 50mph merchants are, like the OP described, sitting far too close to each other, in most cases during daylight hours, traffic volumes are far too high in roadworks to keep a safe distance, 54 in the middle lane would be my choice too.

overdrive:

OVLOV JAY:

Technically under current acpo rules, passed by government, I’m not breaking the law, or I would get a nip on the door mat. So you stick to 50, with someone right up your backside and I’ll stick to 54 with little chance of someone hitting me in the rear and holding up my day any further.

the worst truck drivers for speeding through the road works at leeming bar are the tipper drivers actually working on the improvements being done to that stretch of the a1,which does suprise me as its actually there work mates safety there putting at risk :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,i guess there on some kind of load bonus as some seem in one hell of a rush.
me i set cruise to 45 mph [same as cars] and amble through nice and steady,by the end your not far behind the tear-asses :wink:

overdrive:

OVLOV JAY:

Oh really…I reckon I am safer at 56 than some muppet car transporter driver with 250K worth of motors on his motor texting and weaving all over the place…As seen on Monday on the M1…The driver of the little hatchback in the 1st lane nearly had his family deprived of a father, all because some muppet had to text :imp: Speed has little to do with accidents, it is the selfish few on mobile devices that cause the most in my opinion and to date experience :imp:

OVLOV JAY:
Technically under current acpo rules, passed by government, I’m not breaking the law, or I would get a nip on the door mat.

They’re guidelines not rules, anything over the limit will clearly be illegal although in reality the cameras will have a tolerance built in so 54 should be fine.

ady1:
the worst truck drivers for speeding through the road works at leeming bar are the tipper drivers actually working on the improvements being done to that stretch of the a1,which does suprise me as its actually there work mates safety there putting at risk :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,i guess there on some kind of load bonus as some seem in one hell of a rush.
me i set cruise to 45 mph [same as cars] and amble through nice and steady,by the end your not far behind the tear-asses :wink:

I’m generally fairly placid on the road, but it does annoy me when I’m stuck behind someone who does that when the safe limit is 50.

At 45 on the speedo, you’re likely only doing 42 or 3, no wonder traffic gets bunched up behind.

Seems to me your dammed if you do or dammed if you dont.

But what if say, vehicle A was doing 50 mph and vehicle B doing 56 mph overtakes vehicle A and causes an accident.

How would a court view that?

If both vehicles were doing 50 mph the accident would never happen.

B.T.W.
I dont need to slow down to 50 mph, because I will already be doing it.
50 is plenty fast enough for me. :slight_smile:

Driveroneuk:

ady1:

I’m generally fairly placid on the road, but it does annoy me when I’m stuck behind someone who does that when the safe limit is 50.

At 45 on the speedo, you’re likely only doing 42 or 3, no wonder traffic gets bunched up behind.

but you cant go any faster than the cars in front of you doing 45 mph[there speedoes show 50 mph], so you might as well ,sit back, relax,set it to there speed and at the end of the road works your just behind the tear-■■■ who been driving 6 inches off some car drivers bumper because he desperate to get to 50-56 mph, .
havent you noticed that, all you lot who are so desperate to do 56 mph through the road works are only just in front of us[if you are in front] when we come out of them

+less speed = more pay :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ha ha ha some very interesting opinions…maybe the roadworks sign should read 56 MILES AN HOUR FOR ALL HGVs and 50 FOR ANYTHING ELSE then you speed merchants could go even faster :laughing:

Everyone has such a hard on about speed, but speed itself isn’t a problem, whether that’s a low speed or a high speed, it’s going too slow or too fast for the conditions that causes problems, people doing 40mph on a section of motorway that has a 50mph limit, with normal traffic and weather conditions, are going too slow, simple as that, right or wrong, people view a speed limit as a target, that’s the way it is, so most people will be doing 50+, even though they may be slightly over the limit they will be safer to themselves and the other people using that section of road.

I find it strange that there is so much strong feeling about speeding, pre limiter it was common practice to sit at 65mph all day, the limit was still 60mph, nobody seemed to have a problem with it then, yet now it’s a big deal if anyone goes over the limit by a couple of mph. Take the bloke pointing to his speedo, WTF has it got to do with him? A few mph over a limit doesn’t make a lot of difference either way, if it’s being done to get somewhere quicker, then it’s pointless, but hardly dangerous, if it’s being done so the driver isn’t sitting in a ‘conga’ then it’s actually safer than doing the posted speed limit.

newmercman:
Everyone has such a hard on about speed, but speed itself isn’t a problem, whether that’s a low speed or a high speed, it’s going too slow or too fast for the conditions that causes problems, people doing 40mph on a section of motorway that has a 50mph limit, with normal traffic and weather conditions, are going too slow, simple as that, right or wrong, people view a speed limit as a target, that’s the way it is, so most people will be doing 50+, even though they may be slightly over the limit they will be safer to themselves and the other people using that section of road.

I find it strange that there is so much strong feeling about speeding, pre limiter it was common practice to sit at 65mph all day, the limit was still 60mph, nobody seemed to have a problem with it then, yet now it’s a big deal if anyone goes over the limit by a couple of mph. Take the bloke pointing to his speedo, WTF has it got to do with him? A few mph over a limit doesn’t make a lot of difference either way, if it’s being done to get somewhere quicker, then it’s pointless, but hardly dangerous, if it’s being done so the driver isn’t sitting in a ‘conga’ then it’s actually safer than doing the posted speed limit.

That’s all obviously said from the perspective of someone who can remember the better days here and who’s been lucky enough to continue to drive on roads where the speed thing,at least where trucks are concerned,is’nt considered such a big deal.It’s ironic that the yanks have actually been there seen that in the 1970’s and 1980’s and we’re now about where they were then or if not in an even more draconian situation than they were considering that exceeding the speed limit here now can actually get you stretch in a top security jail while murderers get sent to an open prison :open_mouth: :unamused: .But the difference is that most of the new generations of Brits have been brainwashed from school age that the rules always have to be followed to the letter and they have’nt got the bottle that our generation and those before us had to tell the rule makers to zb off like I did at school and like most yank drivers did back in the 1970’s at least :laughing:.Probably not surprising considering the differences in the possible penalties between then and now on the road although telling a school teacher to zb off these days does’nt result in the same level of punishment now that it did then :laughing: :laughing: .But there were plenty of Brits who applied that yank logic,when speed limiters came in,after getting over the shock of suddenly finding that the wagon would’nt go over 90 kmh with their foot to the floor instead of running ‘all day’ at 65 mph,when it came to finding out which zb fuse was being used for the zb limiter :laughing:.However doing that now would probably result in an arrest by armed police ordered by VOSA and a life sentence in a top security jail :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:.

ady1:
+less speed = more pay :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Only If your hourly paid.

bubsy06:

ady1:

Only If your hourly paid.

Just like they were in the old days of the national 25 mph maximum truck speed limit.The guvnors are’nt stupid the slower you run the less ‘hourly pay’ they’ll offer,if they’ve got any sense that is. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:.

I go flat out through the roadworks, but then my top speed is 53mph so I come within the guidelines, plus I’d rather be clear of the numpties doing 40mph or less :stuck_out_tongue: