50 Mph limit (Scotland) and average speed cameras

Hi all,

I hope someone can shed some light on this. I’m a newly passed class 1 driver, now employed and travelling all over Scotland doing deliveries to stores. I have a question though as per the topic subject. In Scotland the speed limit for anything over 7.5 tonne on a dual carriageway is 50 MPH, so why do I, when travelling at 50 mph get overtaken constantly by many other artics clearly doing 56mph, or close to it on the M90, A9 and other roads when there are average speed cameras all over them. What am I missing about these cameras, do they not work?? Is it the 10% plus 2mph leeway that most police forces give on speed limits that permits this?

Thanks for your input/insight

As you’re a new pass I’ll give you some advice, which I don’t mean to come across as condescending I’ll add.

That advice is… don’t worry about what others do, just keep yourself right.

Worry about yourself, because you can be sure if you had a problem none of them would help you or even stop theyd all ■■■■ by at 90km. Try stay accident free for as long as you can and keep the tacho clean and your golden.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IM on A9 most days set my cruise for 52mph & everything passes me. I’ve never had a letter from the local constabulary,the others I’m not so sure.

toonsy:
As you’re a new pass I’ll give you some advice, which I don’t mean to come across as condescending I’ll add.

Thanks Toonsy, Not condescending at all, and good advice. No matter what I drive I like to keep myself legal. Two SP30’s in 28 years of driving that I am not proud of, but mistakes happen. I’ll try to keep out of the police’s radar.

brianchalkyshaw:
Worry about yourself, because you can be sure if you had a problem none of them would help you or even stop theyd all ■■■■ by at 90km. Try stay accident free for as long as you can and keep the tacho clean and your golden.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks Brian, every driver I have had dealings with so far has been great, whether at my own place or on the road, even in RDC’s which I occasionally have to go to. Bumped a mirror on Friday at Morrisons RDC but no cracks, and still on the side of the truck so all good :slight_smile: Keeping the tacho clean is a must, that I know. The company I’m with are great though, never ask me to do anything I shouldn’t.

mjallby:
IM on A9 most days set my cruise for 52mph & everything passes me. I’ve never had a letter from the local constabulary,the others I’m not so sure.

Thanks Mjallby, guess I shouldn’t worry about what they are doing. only what I’m doing.

The A9 is the only road in Scotland where a truck over 7.5 ton can legally do 50 on a single carriageway, separate rules apply to the Irish lads on the 75 though … :slight_smile:

As far as I understand average speed cameras cannot distinguish between size of vehicle so I think they are set to 70 . Your license to take the risk with tho

alexjohnclarke:
As far as I understand average speed cameras cannot distinguish between size of vehicle so I think they are set to 70 . Your license to take the risk with tho

This may make you reconsider Alex, apparently the registration number is the difference. https://www.businessvans.co.uk/van-law/speeds/smart-speed-camera-warning-to-van-drivers/

raymundo:
The A9 is the only road in Scotland where a truck over 7.5 ton can legally do 50 on a single carriageway, separate rules apply to the Irish lads on the 75 though … :slight_smile:

Always legal Raymundo, me at least :smiley:

alexjohnclarke:

That’s the thing though. The cameras read number plates, so the info of make, model and type of vehicles passing them must constantly be getting sent to a computer somewhere. All it needs is for the camera system to have its software updated to be able to tell a truck and car apart, and what the legal limit for that vehicle is. It’s probably something that will happen eventually, and probably without warning. And if you are a daily user of that road, there’s a good chance you could rack up enough speeding tickets to earn a ban before you even realise it. So it’s the gamble you take in my opinion if you run flat out through the average speed zones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry70:

toonsy:

Thanks Toonsy, Not condescending at all, and good advice. No matter what I drive I like to keep myself legal. Two SP30’s in 28 years of driving that I am not proud of, but mistakes happen. I’ll try to keep out of the police’s radar.

In the grand scheme of things a few mph is hardly a crime of the century (puts on tin hat) especially on a road like the A9…

All I’m saying is not to get bogged down with others and start following or wondering about it. Just do your thing.

For what it’s worth I think it’s daft that Scotland hasn’t adjusted speed limits like England and Wales although there are A roads where you struggle to hit 40 let alone 50 lol

Few years before the ave speed cams appeared on the A9 I regularly did a night trunk from Dalcross to Airdrie and running on the limiter was the norm …

Never mind what the fast guys do, as you are paid by the hour just relax and get the job done safely with no damage. Its 40 mph on single carriageways but 50 on the A9. Remember points on your licence affect your car insurance too.

raymundo:
Few years before the ave speed cams appeared on the A9 I regularly did a night trunk from Dalcross to Airdrie and running on the limiter was the norm …

As did everyone one else apart from the Asda, Tesco drivers, but the worst speeders were definitely the fish wagon guys but never tried that until a couple of years later …

raymundo:
separate rules apply to the Irish lads on the 75 though … :slight_smile:

Actually, I think you’ll find NO rules apply to those guys! :laughing:

I’m on the A90 & A9 most days on the limiter and never had a ticket & even passing the traffic cops they never give you a 2nd look. Watch out for the camera vans on the A96 though on any long straight bit of road.
But that’s my licence and my choice so as already been said just keep doing what you’re doing and stick to the limits especially when you’re just a new pass.
Just relax & enjoy the ride & beautiful scenery of the highlands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, stick to the speed limits, if they want to risk their licence, just let them get on with it, also, don’t let anyone intimidate you into breaking the 40 on the single tracks, I used to get this in England until they introduced the 50 limit. I used to have HGVs flashing the lights and the horn, but I always held it on 40 religiously, I’ve had a clean license the last thirty years, I treat it like gold.

Don`t worry about what others are doing, drive and do the job as you think you should ,IF at some point you get a summons you will know your way was wrong and learn by it.