50 mph limit; One year on

…well have we experienced massive carnage on our roads? Have Brake had no time to eat their fair trade lentil soup due to all the letter writing on ethically sourced paper?
The biggest change I’ve noticed is Tescos no longer taking our safety seriously, that they now do bang on the limit (except the odd agency job hanger out) rather than 5mph under the old one.
Seriously I’ve experienced less silly overtakes.

On the A15 near kirton Lindsey there has been a few artics leave the road and end up in fields since the increase.
Mainly,due to the narrow width,and, the state of the road IE the edge subsiding etc.
Resulting in a “temporary” reduction to 40mph.

ROADRANGER:
On the A15 near kirton Lindsey there has been a few artics leave the road and end up in fields since the increase.
Mainly,due to the narrow width,and, the state of the road IE the edge subsiding etc.
Resulting in a “temporary” reduction to 40mph.

I find the cars are more likely to slow down for that. 50mph from top to bottom for wagons it seems.

Muckaway:
I’ve experienced less silly overtakes.

Yes i’d agree folks are a little and i mean a little bit more content to sit behind you but you still have the odd Audi or BMW driver who would still want to overtake even if you were doing 70 mph.

bald bloke:

Muckaway:

Yes i’d agree folks are a little and i mean a little bit more content to sit behind you but you still have the odd Audi or BMW driver who would still want to overtake even if you were doing 70 mph.

You still driving Miss Daisy speed then :open_mouth:
BB that right foot can go a little further down now you know :laughing:

Should have been done years ago, but better late than never.

Worked out well for most people, less idiots overtaking, those who do are usually the competent ones, has made single carriage driving far less frustrating for all of us.

has anyone felt pressure from employers to make quicker journeys or basically do more ?

I think it has been a good thing but it should have only applied to trunk/primary roads. I would have lifted the limit to 56 on these but kept the 40 on other roads.

I was a bit reticent about it when it was proposed, but it looks like there has been no dramatic negative effect after all.
Works ok the majority of the time, and I suppose it has cut down on speed convictions.
However some A roads are unsuitable for an artic to do 50 constantly, and some retards find that hard to understand, I refer to the ‘It’s a target not a limit’ crew :unamused: .

I myself have had a couple of near misses on some of the A roads in Cornwall and Devon, such as airborne tippers howling around corners half in my lane Also one particular ■■■■ trying to push me on, 50 was not fast enough for him apparently, he received a display off ‘Go and ■■■■ yourself’ gesture by not allowing him to do so.
However if one of these guys are behind me who wants to crack on, but is not being agressive, I pull over and let them go. If they want to ■■■■ themselves and their licences it has nothing to do with me.

See a lot of trucks now sitting on the limiter on singles.

Usually got three or four axles and an unbreakable load. :smiley:

I’m going to give it another year, just to be sure, but I might try 45!

nick2008:

bald bloke:

Muckaway:

You still driving Miss Daisy speed then :open_mouth:
BB that right foot can go a little further down now you know :laughing:

Nope I’m on supermarket speed now. :smiley:

The A49 M56-Tarporley is a regular drive for me in recent times & I couldn’t imagine being stuck at 40mph all along that stretch. 50mph is perfectly safe in most areas and despite my initial reservations I think the law change was totally common sense. I haven’t really heard of any spates of HGV accidents on SC’s anywhere since the increase, probably because most drivers are now just legally doing what they were doing before without any real issue.

If i drive 80 im doing 1333 Meter per Minute
If i drive 90 im doing 1500 Meter per Minute
thats a difference of 167 Meter per Minute.
From Dairy to RDC i need 5 Minute longer.which is 835 Meter behind the Vehicle which drives 10 k faster and needs more Fuel,just to stay then 5 minute longer,waiting for a Trailer.
In Fakt im doing 54 on Motorway and 52 on A Roads.

:arrow_right: The Lift of Speed Limit is a big help if you drive long Milage,but doesnt matter to my Job im doing right now.

I’m retired now and i don’t see any difference where 50 limit on hgv is concerned . I’ll sit behind them on a sc at 50/55 mph quite happily , but the other bloody car drivers cause the problems . tootling along at40/45 mph , never look in their mirrors and most of them are unaware or don’t care about the new limits . why not fit roo bars on trucks so that you can shove the stupid sods out of the way .

unless it had cameras I don’t think I ever sat at anything under 50 in any case where possible - its as others say more sensible and less loonies try to overtake you.

having said that coming back from filey the other day the amount of car on the road who have zero overtaking skills or ability are frightening - sitting 20ft off the car/truck in front with no intention what so ever of getting by.

war1974:
unless it had cameras I don’t think I ever sat at anything under 50 in any case where possible - its as others say more sensible and less loonies try to overtake you.

having said that coming back from filey the other day the amount of car on the road who have zero overtaking skills or ability are frightening - sitting 20ft off the car/truck in front with no intention what so ever of getting by.

It’s worse when driving a JCB on the road. The bright yellow paint and the flashing beacon must trigger some mental retardation, they drive so close it’s as if they want a tow off the back bucket.

war1974:

Let em be. They will soon why it’s a bad idea to sit so close. Either they’ll get a brown trouser moment or if they aren’t paying attention they will be eating tail lift.

Shame the Scots haven’t implemented it on their A roads apart from the A9 from Perth to Inverness. Mind you I gues they haven’t done it because of all the money they’d lose out on from the lads chasing the ferry on the A75 if they bought a 50mph limit in.

war1974:

Tbh, I used to just go with the flow sort of thing.

I have never heard of a trucker being pulled for doing 45 - 50 on an A road single.

Has anyone on here?

Socketset:

war1974:

Tbh, I used to just go with the flow sort of thing.

I have never heard of a trucker being pulled for doing 45 - 50 on an A road single.

Has anyone on here?

Yes, twice in 2002 just before I finished driving. Once on the A515 near Newhaven for 48mph, chugging along happily on my own when a Police Dog handler in a van pulled me over, and a week or two later by a ‘jam sandwich’ on the same road near Yoxall for a similar speed in a line of traffic. Got let off both times with a warning. However the dog handler also swore at me and I ought to have reported him but decided against it.

Pete.