5 on 3 off,5 on 2 off,is that better?

I have been offered a job ,at first the shifts were 6 on 2 off,Iv now been offered 5 on 3 off,5 on 2 off this seems the better of the two,is anybody working this shift now that can give any advice,also does anybody get a basic wage plus a percentage of the profit of the tank and is it ok? Thanks in advance :smiley:

dirty hands:
I have been offered a job ,at first the shifts were 6 on 2 off,Iv now been offered 5 on 3 off,5 on 2 off this seems the better of the two,is anybody working this shift now that can give any advice,also does anybody get a basic wage plus a percentage of the profit of the tank and is it ok? Thanks in advance :smiley:

Bald Bloke does 5 on 3 off I think … if not a chap I know works at the same place as BB and he does 5 & 3 and likes that pattern as it gives a better option to do OT and still get 2 rest days.

Three days off sounds better than doing ot

Only advice i can give is to work out how many hours you will be doing, and how many of those hours should be at premium rate…Sat Sun and Bank Hols.

Then (do not include ex’s or night out pay) work out what your average hourly rate is for those hours worked, allowing X 1.5 or X 2 for bank hol working, by dividing the top line per month by the hours worked over a month.
You’ll know immediately if the job’s worth bothering with or not.

As for rotating shifts, it suits me but i work less days than the pattern here, wife retired so as long as i get lots of time off it doesn’t matter to us which days, the money is high for the hours worked and thats the icing on the cake.

Those patterns can come hard if you have young children or your partner works or both, and do check the company allows selective holidays to be taken, some now demand full weeks be taken and try to force you into certain holiday bands, better you know before you accept the job, and make sure its average pay for hols and bank hols.

5-3 5-2 means every two weeks it will move 1 day

ROG:

Yes, without working it out on paper i suspect the pattern will mean all weekend working for around 46 weeks of the year.

Juddian:

ROG:

Yes, without working it out on paper i suspect the pattern will mean all weekend working for around 46 weeks of the year.

It will start at point A every 15 weeks I think (trying to work out in head quickly !) so not as bad as you think re weekends

ROG:

Juddian:

ROG:

It will start at point A every 15 weeks I think (trying to work out in head quickly !) so not as bad as you think re weekends

Just done 26 weeks quickly by pencil, so possibly a day or two out, started on a Monday of the 5/2 shift.
Works out that over 26 weeks 18 Saturdays would be worked and 19 Sundays, including 15 Sat and Sun combinations.

So yes, you were right Rog, roughly 30 full weekends worked through a full year, and approx 10 full weekends off, therefore approx 42 weeks when either a Sat or Sun or both working.

It better be bloody well paid for that.

The only question you need to ask yourself is do you want more money or do you want more time off? No need to go into the intricacies, it’s not difficult.

dirty hands:

I have been doing 5 on 3 off for 5 years now and love it as those 3 days off really give you a good break from work and when they fall over the weekend even better, but don’t forget at times you’ll be working the weekend and getting time off in the week which is not to everyone’s taste but that depends on your personal circumstances.

I rarely do o/t but you can almost do a day a week if you want and still have 2 days off and 5 days annual leave gives you 11 days off.

Forgot to say I get 29 more days off a year than someone who works 5 & 2 so that’s worth thinking about.

starting on a Monday with a 5-2
Days off in UPPER CASE

01 - mtwtfSS
02 - mtwtfSS
03 - MtwtfsS
04 - MtwtfsS
05 - MTwtfss
06 - MTwtfss
07 - MTWtfss
08 - mTWtfss
09 - mTWTfss
10 - mtWTfss
11 - mtwTFSs
12 - mtwtFSs
13 - mtwtFSS
Back to 01

ROG:
starting on a Monday with a 5-2
Days off in UPPER CASE

01 - mtwtfSS
02 - mtwtfSS
03 - MtwtfsS
04 - MtwtfsS
05 - MTwtfss
06 - MTwtfss
07 - MTWtfss
08 - mTWtfss
09 - mTWTfss
10 - mtWTfss
11 - mtwTFSs
12 - mtwtFSs
13 - mtwtFSS
Back to 01

Don’t know what you’re getting at here Rog.

bald bloke:

looking at what weekend time off the driver has and when the shift pattern resets

:wink:

ROG:

bald bloke:

looking at what weekend time off the driver has and when the shift pattern resets

Yes but 5 & 2 would be the same days off every week do you mean 5 & 3 ?

bald bloke:
:wink:

ROG:

bald bloke:

Yes but 5 & 2 would be the same days off every week do you mean 5 & 3 ?

That was done per the title of the thread = 5 on 2 off then 5 on 3 off on a repeating pattern

Thing is I work 6 days a week now I only get Sunday off and it works out about an extra 150 quid a week plus I get the 3 days off aswell one week and 2 the next,the extra money will be good towards my deposit for my house and Tlingit be home for 4pm cuz it’s 4 am starts

dirty hands:
Thing is I work 6 days a week now I only get Sunday off and it works out about an extra 150 quid a week plus I get the 3 days off aswell one week and 2 the next,the extra money will be good towards my deposit for my house and Tlingit be home for 4pm cuz it’s 4 am starts

EH!!

You work 6 days a week and get 2 or 3 days off a week as well … how many days in a week because most of us say there are 7 !!!

Lol no I was comparing the new job to the one I’m in now,at the moment I work 6 days a week every week and get 3 weeks off a year (it’s a non-driving job) whereas the new job is 5 on 3 off,with that in mind what do you think?

dirty hands:
Lol no I was comparing the new job to the one I’m in now,at the moment I work 6 days a week every week and get 3 weeks off a year (it’s a non-driving job) whereas the new job is 5 on 3 off,with that in mind what do you think?

I wish you had made that clear from the start as it looked like a shift rota doing 5-2 5-3

Depends how much you like having weekends off if that is what you are doing at the moment and what the average pay is for each job as well as holiday entitlements etc

A 5-3 shift pattern would go like this…

mtwtfSS
MtwthsS
MTwtfss
MTWtfss
mTWTfss
mtWTFss
mtwTFSs
mtwtFSS
Then back to start

Over that 8 week period of 5-3 its 24 days off compared to 16 days off doing 5-2

What do both jobs pay over 8 weeks?

Any pattern such as this is generally done to save the company money.

This one looks as if it’s designed to get you working a hell of a lot of weekends (when it should be o/t), but still only have to pay you the normal rate.

Depends what you want, whether that works for you. Personally, I’d want x 1.5 for the weekends, as a minimum increase on the hourly rate.