4on4off wage

Just wondering what the average weekly wage would be for a 4 on 4 off working week? Been offered £560 plus night out money is this good or bad in your opinion?

It depends if it’s nights out because too many drops to get done in a shift.
Or not enough driving time to cover all the distance between drops/collections.
Any ‘other duties’ required if so exactly what.
If those questions checked out I’d have said when do I start as soon as the offer was made.

Driver (4 On 4 Off) I don’t do nights out
I am required to work a 4 on 4 off rota - salary £652.00 per week - based on 12 hours per shift. Exclusive of a 45 minute break. I average 46 / 52 hours
Any hours worked over 12 per shift will be paid at £15.33 per hour. with £15.33 per hour for working an additional shift.

The way 4 on 4 off works is like this:

For 4 consecutive weeks you’ll work 4 shifts in the 7 day week.
For 4 consecutive weeks you’ll work 3 shifts in the 7 day week.

So you’ll average 3.5 shifts each calendar week across the year.

If you’re based on 12 hours you’ll work an average of 42 hours each 7-day calendar week on average (3.5 x 12)

Knock off your breaks and you’re doing around 40 hours per week on average.

£560 / 40 = £14 per hour. Your flat annual gross without nights out is a tad over £29k. It’s up to you if you think that’s good. I personally think it’s a bit below average.

My last 2 jobs were 4 on 4 off. The first paid £33k in 2014, the other paid around £36k, and would now be £40k since all the wage rises - for flat hours.

We’ve had quite a few lads leave recently. They’ve all gone to Woodlands, who are paying 4/4 a basic of around £40k

I meant to say that I am in Scotland so probably lower than certain areas of England

4 on 4 off days. 40 hours a week, never work more than that. My salary is based on £27k a year. I personally find the wages on the lower side and I don’t enjoy the job, but for now the time off makes up for that.

mbax81:
We’ve had quite a few lads leave recently. They’ve all gone to Woodlands, who are paying 4/4 a basic of around £40k

A lot of drivers don’t give a proper answer to basic pay. They prefer to say what they earn, without saying what allowance and o/t got them to that figure.
£40,000 is a very good basic for someone employed by the company. Based on a 40 hour week it works out at just over £19 per hour.

sweepster:

mbax81:

A lot of drivers don’t give a proper answer to basic pay. They prefer to say what they earn, without saying what allowance and o/t got them to that figure.
£40,000 is a very good basic for someone employed by the company. Based on a 40 hour week it works out at just over £19 per hour.

One of the lads sent me a copy of the pay structure he received from them via email. Think they are on 48hrs over the 4, so around £16ph maybe? However, 12 hours shifts on Saturday and Sundays are no good for me right now.

sweepster:

I often wonder why this is such an issue.

In my last job I was on £12.50 p/h basic, but shift premiums and meal allowances took it to around £15 p/h. The £15 p/h never went down, it only went up with each pay rise. I earnt it consistently. So to my mind that was my basic pay.

Somebody once said “you’re not on £15 p/h, you just earn £15 p/h”. I couldn’t understand why the difference was so important, seeing as I consistently earnt that every hour for the 5 years I was there.

ezydriver:

sweepster:

In my last job I was on £12.50 p/h basic, but shift premiums and meal allowances took it to around £15 p/h. The £15 p/h never went down, it only went up with each pay rise. I earnt it consistently. So to my mind that was my basic pay.

Somebody once said “you’re not on £15 p/h, you just earn £15 p/h”. I couldn’t understand why the difference was so important, seeing as I consistently earnt that every hour for the 5 years I was there.

One main difference was, how much was you paid for holidays? By making up your hourly rate with ‘allowances’ the firm doesn’t use these to calculate your average pay, thus flat rate holiday pay.

Been along time since I worked that sort of shift pattern,4/4 means your going to be working w/ends money depends on what your going to get paid for Sat / Sun working.
On that sort of shift pattern we used to get 4 high weeks and 2 low weeks because the 2 weeks there was no w/end worked.

ezydriver:

sweepster:

A basic pay is very important as it tells you the minimum an employer can/or is willing to pay their employee.
A lot of other things like holiday pay, sick pay, pension, redundancy, etc… will be based on your basic pay. God forbid, even death in service is.
There are far too many job adverts telling us how much we can earn up to. They should be telling us how much our basic and overtime rates are, and what the different shift allowance is worth for each shift, so you will know exactly what you will be earning before taking the job.

I would imagine a 4 on/4off job paid on salary would need to be a good amount,.as you can sure as hell bet they would plan you for max hours to get the last drop of blood for what they pay, which would bring down the hourly rate ratio a fair bit.
I do a 4 on/3 off, paid hourly,.and I basically suit myself on daily hours, if I want to do a 15 I will, but I’m left alone to decide.

" Shift premium and meal allowance" took it to WOWWWWWWW £15 p/h should not like to hazard a guess what the “shift premium or meal allowance” pittance was or is.

sweepster:
A basic pay is very important as it tells you the minimum an employer can/or is willing to pay their employee.
A lot of other things like holiday pay, sick pay, pension, redundancy, etc… will be based on your basic pay. God forbid, even death in service is.
There are far too many job adverts telling us how much we can earn up to. They should be telling us how much our basic and overtime rates are, and what the different shift allowance is worth for each shift, so you will know exactly what you will be earning before taking the job.

LazyDriver:
One main difference was, how much was you paid for holidays? By making up your hourly rate with ‘allowances’ the firm doesn’t use these to calculate your average pay, thus flat rate holiday pay.

Thanks. I’d never put much thought into it. At first holiday pay excluded all the premiums, but the firm changed and began calculating all the premiums into holiday pay. Then they back paid us. I often wonder if they’d been challenged in court or something.

lolipop:
" Shift premium and meal allowance" took it to WOWWWWWWW £15 p/h should not like to hazard a guess what the “shift premium or meal allowance” pittance was or is.

I was very happy in the job, and the work/life balance was fantastic. That’s all priceless to me, as I don’t need to earn more than £300 p/w.

Fantastic shift pattern for work life balance. Did it for a year before accident and loved it

If I had to…

Go full time, I like the idea of 4 days off, it’s a great work/life balance. But as others, have pointed out, they won’t want to pay any more than you got for 5 days. So however you look at it (their wage structures are always deliberately cloudy) you’re no better off than when it was 5 on 2 off (how old fashioned a normal working week sounds).

yourhavingalarf:
If I had to…

Go full time, I like the idea of 4 days off, it’s a great work/life balance. But as others, have pointed out, they won’t want to pay any more than you got for 5 days. So however you look at it (their wage structures are always deliberately cloudy) you’re no better off than when it was 5 on 2 off (how old fashioned a normal working week sounds).

Absolutely. It’s something you do for the work life balance rather than the money

switchlogic:

yourhavingalarf:
If I had to…

Absolutely. It’s something you do for the work life balance rather than the money

That was my thinking, double my days off for slightly less money, although I would be away for 3 nights.