4on4off wage

If it is 8-10 hours, then it isn’t bad - if it’s 10 hours minimum and regular nights out - it’s not much cop. :neutral_face:

Winseer:
If it is 8-10 hours, then it isn’t bad - if it’s 10 hours minimum and regular nights out - it’s not much cop. :neutral_face:

My mate says it’s about 12 hour average

I did four-on, four-off for a while, until the company went ■■■■-up. I’ve finished a few off in my time. :stuck_out_tongue:

This was probably about ten years ago now but I enjoyed it. The four days at work seemed to whizz by and the four days off left me far more relaxed than the usual two.

I earned about the same as I would have on five-on, two-off, maybe a little bit less but not so much less as to be particularly noticeable. It’s fine if your life schedule does not require weekends to be spent at home, e.g. because of your wife’s work pattern or you have young children at school.

The only slightly annoying thing I found about it was that I never knew what day it was.

Work 4 on 4 off only if your sure you’ll never go back to Mon-Fri. Working extra shifts on your days off and only giving yourself a measly 2 days off duty you won’t have a clue how you used to get everything done on a weekend whilst still having a bit of free time.

Another thing about 4 on 4 off,.especially tramping, it’s got to be a share with some like minded type driver, you couldn’t have a smoker sharing with a non smoker for instance…(well you could but it would be a complete pain in the ■■■■ for the non smoker driver.)

Also sharing with some dirty and/or untidy ■■■■ would be a no no for me, as well as the first example.

The lad I share with does days on ‘my’ truck and is spot on, you would think nobody had been on it since I last drove it when he leaves it for me, .and we both hook up trailers for each other ready to roll in the next morning.

Sharing with somebody a bit less particular would be no good for me, but I’m an arsey ■■■■ on this sort of stuff anyway, I’ve kept this ‘owner driver’ mentality long after I stopped being a one.

switchlogic:
Fantastic shift pattern for work life balance. Did it for a year before accident and loved it

Couldn’t agree more.

I switched onto 4 on 4 off about 3 months ago in my current job having been on the Tues-Sat rota before that and for the last 2 years. Hourly paid, guaranteed 12 hours pay (OT for anything worked over 12 obviously and OT paid daily not weekly), I’m just a day plodder mind, no nights out and most days average 9-10 hours but paid for 12.

Best thing I’ve done and as another poster said above I personally would now struggle going back to a typical 5 day rota. I’m sure some will look at the fact I get no more per hour when working on the weekend days as a negative but other than that there is no downside in my opinion. Having 4 days off every time you finish your 4 on is brilliant and something I wish I had done years ago.

tmcassett:

switchlogic:
Fantastic shift pattern for work life balance. Did it for a year before accident and loved it

Couldn’t agree more.

I switched onto 4 on 4 off about 3 months ago in my current job having been on the Tues-Sat rota before that and for the last 2 years. Hourly paid, guaranteed 12 hours pay (OT for anything worked over 12 obviously and OT paid daily not weekly), I’m just a day plodder mind, no nights out and most days average 9-10 hours but paid for 12.

Best thing I’ve done and as another poster said above I personally would now struggle going back to a typical 5 day rota. I’m sure some will look at the fact I get no more per hour when working on the weekend days as a negative but other than that there is no downside in my opinion. Having 4 days off every time you finish your 4 on is brilliant and something I wish I had done years ago.

You’re probably like me mate,.after years of maxing out, weekending abroad, doing ridiculous ■■■■ hours, being away from home constantly and all the rest of this crap…, I realised finally that there is far more to life than spending most of it in a ■■■■ truck.

robroy:

tmcassett:

switchlogic:

Couldn’t agree more.

You’re probably like me mate,.after years of maxing out, weekending abroad, doing ridiculous [zb] hours, being away from home constantly and all the rest of this crap…, I realised finally that there is far more to life than spending most of it in a [zb] truck.

Exactly mate. I’m only 38 and have 2 young kids, a 3 year old daughter and a 2 week old son (currently on 3 weeks paternity leave) and having the time off to spend with them will be invaluable and something you can’t ever get back.

I’ve had my class 1 10 years now. I was never interested in doing nights out/tramping, either here or abroad, not knocking all you guys who do it because if it suits you “personally” then great, but it simply was not for me. I only got my HGV licences to earn more money as I spent 11 years working for Tesco’s before hand, the last 5 as a van driver doing the home shopping deliveries - A job I loved and would go back to in a heartbeat if it wasn’t for having a mortgage and kids to provide for.

But yeah you are 100% right, there is more to life than dedicating it to a lorry. I think I will be sticking to my current job for a high street retailer with decent hours/pay/conditions etc and most importantly time off for the long term.