48 hr working week

I have been hearing rumours this week that the governments opt out of the WTD will cease to be in effect from January 2010.
This will mean that everyone will have to stick to a 48hr maximum…no 60 hrs…no 70 hrs…no 80 hrs but only 48hrs…i wondered if there is any truth in this rumour…i sincerely hope there is.
I mentioned this to our T.M. and he said it wouldnt happen, but when i told him he had no choice if it was true, and that all drivers would be required to stick with the rules, he didnt like it.

SO IS IT…OR ISNT IT…

from what i remember, POA and breaks do not count as part of the working week

That would certainly make most transport managers have to think about running a different type of operation if it’s true.It would probably help get a lot of those drivers who can’t find enough work into a job.12 hour shifts and 4 days on 4 days off rota for uk work?.But it would be a nightmare for continental tramping operations because you’d have a job doing a return run to most places like Spain or Italy in 4 days and 48 hours.It would probably kill off what’s left of the British international haulage industry.

Mobile workers have never been able to “opt” out of the WTD anyway.

It is and still will be 48 hrs of work, not including breaks and POA.

Nothing changes and your transport manager better read up on the rules as he clearly isn’t fit to be a transport manager :open_mouth:

interlog:

Nothing changes and your transport manager better read up on the rules as he clearly isn’t fit to be a transport manager :open_mouth:

IIRC owner drivers have.

Ken.

interlog:

Can’t understand the maths on that?.5 day week of 9 hours driving per day = 45 hours.So that would leave just three hours per week to do a week’s worth of vehicle checks,loading,and all the other odds and sods that make up a weeks transport operational work for a driver which is’nt break or rest time?.Unless a 48 hour work limit means something different to 48 hours of work?.

truckyboy:
I have been hearing rumours this week that the governments opt out of the WTD will cease to be in effect from January 2010.

It’s just a rumour, talks broke down the last time it was discussed and as a result Britain can keep its opt out.

Even if it was true it would have no effect on our work as the WTD doesn’t apply to us. We work under the RTD which is a different set of regulations and no changes are even being discussed for that.

Carryfast:

interlog:

Can’t understand the maths on that?.5 day week of 9 hours driving per day = 45 hours.So that would leave just three hours per week to do a week’s worth of vehicle checks,loading,and all the other odds and sods that make up a weeks transport operational work for a driver which is’nt break or rest time?.Unless a 48 hour work limit means something different to 48 hours of work?.

Most drivers won’t be driving 9 hours a day every day and it is 48 hours average over the reference period, 17 or 26 weeks. The weekly maximum is 60 hours as long as you only average 48.

Carryfast:
Can’t understand the maths on that?.

YOU don’t have to - that’s for your employer - it’s them that gets it in the neck if cocked up

The only bit that seems to be checked on where drivers are concerned is the 6 hour working time rule but even that is not usually a problem as the tacho reg breaks are also for the RTD(WTD).

I’m betting that there are not many drivers on here who have not had at least one 15 min break in 6 hours of driving/other work

ROG:
I’m betting that there are not many drivers on here who have not had at least one 15 min break in 6 hours of driving/other work

I know of at least two. I’ve done it quite a few times and I know Mike-C has, at least in a shift of over 6 hours, because I can remember him posting about it.

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

I know of at least two. I’ve done it quite a few times and I know Mike-C has, at least in a shift of over 6 hours, because I can remember him posting about it.

Make that 3 :slight_smile:

Quinny:

interlog:

IIRC owner drivers have.

Ken.

It could all turn out to be advantageous for O/D’s on international work in that case,if it happens, as the big firms would find it easier to sub out than to suffer all the aggravation of loads being held up on route??.Which is just what I’d like because that’s what I intend to be doing with any luck in the future.

Coffeeholic:

Carryfast:

interlog:

Most drivers won’t be driving 9 hours a day every day and it is 48 hours average over the reference period, 17 or 26 weeks. The weekly maximum is 60 hours as long as you only average 48.

That seems to be where I find it all so confusing because I’ve spent most of my time in the industry with 9 hours of driving always being needed every shift over 5 days and sometimes more.Certainly at least a 45 hour driving week for most of the time I did on trunking and I can’t see how any long distance operations can work without a regular 9 hours of daily driving time being needed?.Having said that there are jobs where it’s other duties more than driving around but I’m not one of the drivers who would be looking for that anyway.

shuttlespanker:

You need to be able to do a bit more than vaguely remembering, Rob. It’s your responsibility to keep track of your drivers’ hours for the WTD/RTD. :neutral_face: :wink:

Lucy:

shuttlespanker:

You need to be able to do a bit more than vaguely remembering, Rob. It’s your responsibility to keep track of your drivers’ hours for the WTD/RTD. :neutral_face: :wink:

where’s the raspberry blowing smilie when you need it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

shuttlespanker:
where’s the raspberry blowing smilie when you need it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This do ?

don’t worry about it. hgv drivers can’t opt out unless they are self employed.
i’ve never been charged with an offence, in relation to the wtd. and for someone who has a season ticket to the magistrates court, i think i would have been charged under wtd regulations, if they were bothered about it.

silly wtd and it,s silly poa,s dont make me laugh , it is almost as daft as the driver cpc with no test

David Lowe wrote; The RTD which may be described as an offshoot from the main EC working time directive (93/104/EC) which applies to most workers in Europe, deals specifically with working time provisions for those persons performing “mobile transport activities” (mainly LGV drivers) - Within scope of the EU drivers rules, but with the exception of self employed mobile workers(such as owner-driver road hauliers) who remain exempt from the directive until 23 March 2009

Self employed workers are exempted from inclusion in the RTD until 23 March 2009 as already mentioned, However to qualify as self-employed these drivers must be genuinely self-employed in accordance with both RTD and Inland revenue rules on self-employment meaning;

1. Having as their main occupation the transport of goods by road for hire and reward under an O licence.

2. Being entitled to work for themselves.

3.Not being tied to an employer under an employment contract or other hierarchical working relationship.

1. Having the freedom to organise their own work.

2. Their income must come from the profits of their own business.

3. They must have the freedom either alone or in co-operation with others, to work for more than one customer.