46% of UK Trucks Parked Up!

milodon:

Andrejs:
I think this is not possible at Dober/Calais.Now each all ferry filled in 30 min(truck go out from fery/come in) .If this job will do shunting truck that will be required at least 3-5 hours for each ferry.And need thousand acre of land for parking,extra security staff.May be this is possible in some quit port where just 3 ferry per day.And can be problem about responsibily for trailer damages,load damages.

Well the whole of Scandinavia does it with ferries on a one hour turnaround. I wouldn’t say Travemünde or Helsinki have three ferries a day?

But no so much.In Dover-Calais about 40 trip each way.There about 10.And they ready long time have very big yard.

Sixties boy:
Many of the 46% (if true figure) relate to manufacturing operations e.g. Jaguar Land Rover, Nissan etc as no cars are being built or sold, so no parts going in on curtainsiders and no cars out on transporters. I’m sure there’s a lot of similar examples.

Container fleets were some of the first to suffer with larger operations like Maritime, Wincanton, Turners and Stobarts moving vehicles to support supermarket deliveries during the panic buying. Smaller dedicated container hauliers furloughed their drivers as they didn’t have alternative work.

The reason we have non UK trucks running in the UK is they have cheaper operating costs (drivers wages) and we all as consumers want the cheapest goods we can get. Basically supply and demand.
As with the NHS PPE debacle, its a good job Turkey was able to assist a third world country by supplying PPE when we needed it.

Most EE drivers get about 2000-2400 per month.Operation cost some time more high.In Uk more cheap truck party,.But in Uk more health and safety manager with 50K+ salary.All depend from what company do profit.Some company example have delivery from Italy to Manchester.They have profit.After tipping in Manchester they back to France.Ready long time about 50%of truck leave Uk with empty trailer.Do this reason for company much better taked some load from Manchester to Sittinbourne and get 150 qiud.At least this money cover diesel.Same situation with Scotland.Most company do profit with delivery to Scotland.But from there they agree taked load for low price to cover diesel.

Andrejs:
But no so much.In Dover-Calais about 40 trip each way.There about 10.And they ready long time have very big yard.

I’m sorry, what are you trying to say? That the Scandinavian ferries take on ten trucks each or?

You are very much mistaken.

Travemunde about 10million tonnes of freight in 2019.
Dover about 25million in 2018.
And Andrejs makes the good point that Dover has no free space, either there or nearby. Ignoring comparisons, it isn’t suited to trailer dropping.

milodon:

Andrejs:

I’m sorry, what are you trying to say? That the Scandinavian ferries take on ten trucks each or?

You are very much mistaken.

Was do last years to many job from/in Travemunde.Mainly to each Sweden port go 3 ferry per day with truck and trailers.Ang go some ferry just with trailer.B
UT TRAVEMUNDE DOCK muck biggest that all Dover town.There plenty space for parked trailer.

In that case having an international port without the ability to store trailers is a bit short sighted.

Then again, many of the European ports with limited growth possibilities have been expanded out to the sea.

milodon:
In that case having an international port without the ability to store trailers is a bit short sighted.

Then again, many of the European ports with limited growth possibilities have been expanded out to the sea.

Short sighted, definitely.
Didn’t they sell off some of the land a few years back?
Planning by business-types looking for cash, rather than strategic long term plans.
Just like our new food policy. Tempted as I am I’ll let others point to other parallels.
If Dover expanded much out to the sea…it would become France!

In my local area ships are starting to lay around waiting for orders

2 Vehicles carriers now laid up in the River Fal:
AUTOPRIDE & AUTOPROGRESS , Vehicle Carriers, Portugese Flag

1 at anchor off Falmouth:
HOEGH PUSAN, Vehicle Carrier, Singapore Flag

Plus ANTON SCHULTE, 6500 TEU Container Ship, Maltese Flag in Mounts Bay
marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho … 79/zoom:12

Just these three would keep a lot of wagons in business during normal times

Plus there are lots of smaller coastal trade ships struggling for cargos & anchoring up, which would keep wagons rolling in the smaller ports.

Maybe someone should do a study as to what the average net hourly rate is of those drivers forming what is now the “lockdown network”…

I’d stake my life on this ‘average rate’ being lower than a year ago, maybe even lower than a decade or 30 years ago…

I was out yesterday getting the food shop in, and drove a short distance along the major trunk route of the A2 in Kent…
The A2 is currently closed @ Newington for artics, and the diversion for both Kent-London and Kent-Coastal traffic involves diversions at Bowaters and Key Street junctions, up the Hoath Way A278 link road, and along the M2 a short distance past farthing corner services. A decent enough observation point to take a measure of “artic activity in the area” then.

I saw a few “general haulage” wagons of UK firms I’ve not heard of, some RDC freezer wagons such as Gist and Nordfrost, hardly any supermarket trucks, and what foreign ones I saw were notably absent of the “usual crowd” including outfits like Waeberers and of course La Goudale…

Most notably absent were my last five employers - I didn’t see a single Royal Mail, Brakes, Fedex, Waitrose, or Langdons vehicle, despite them frequenting the A2 of old, difficult to miss indeed, because of nightly M2 closures putting them through the A2 via Medway mainly…

There was a Tesco vehicle - already on the bay as I drove past the Bowaters roundabout Extra store - but that was the only one of those I saw all day in the end.

Now we’re being told that we might have to all get tested to continue driving “if you have any symptoms”, which conspiracy-theory moi thinks might be an excuse to get what remaining drivers off our roads the moment they get so much as a hay fever sniffle!! :frowning:

Stay away from the NHS. Avoid like the plague, pun fully intended.

We Non-NHS key workers - are more likely to get the clap there, rather than “be appreciated by the public at large” in our just-as-essential industry that is under such threat at this time.

Would anyone working full time for any of the firms I’ve listed above - care to comment on what “furlough arrangements” they might be on at this point?

I suggest there won’t be a lockdown for much longer - if our polizei keep on dishing out the law in the uneven manner they seem to have done so of late, huh? :open_mouth:

You ask about Brakes, I walked into my local Sainsbury’s last night and the first pallet near the door was full of Brakes own label large catering tins of chopped tomatoes, so they must of done a deal to get rid of some stock.

Re: La Goudale…

Right hand down a bit and give it some welly!

Main droite un peu et donnez-lui un peu de welly!

Sixties boy:
Many of the 46% (if true figure) relate to manufacturing operations e.g. Jaguar Land Rover, Nissan etc as no cars are being built or sold, so no parts going in on curtainsiders and no cars out on transporters. I’m sure there’s a lot of similar examples.

Container fleets were some of the first to suffer with larger operations like Maritime, Wincanton, Turners and Stobarts moving vehicles to support supermarket deliveries during the panic buying. Smaller dedicated container hauliers furloughed their drivers as they didn’t have alternative work.

The reason we have non UK trucks running in the UK is they have cheaper operating costs (drivers wages) and we all as consumers want the cheapest goods we can get. Basically supply and demand.
As with the NHS PPE debacle, its a good job Turkey was able to assist a third world country by supplying PPE when we needed it.

This post pretty much describes the current situation without any drama.

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

When all this blows over, it could be argued that if we absolutely must have a deflationary cut to all our wages, regardless of what “essential” industry one works in…

Can we at least have a sharp improvement in the non-financial T&Cs?

Pretty please? :neutral_face:

Imagine working as a trucker where entirely new service areas are built all over the land where truckers sporting their licence and registration can get a free meal 24/7 and more importantly parking space that non-trucks are not allowed to park in, except for an expensive fee after 45 minutes say…

Trucks should be able to park up for free, everyone else should be paying because they are NOT required to take a '45 or a reduced 9-hr rest overnight…

Imagine if “Day Cabs” are done away with…

Imagine if there’s no (7) - it’s easy if you try… :stuck_out_tongue:

Sixties boy:

But that’s a circular argument because if we still had our textile industry rather than having outsourced it to places like Turkey, we would be more than capable of making our own PPE, and having it delivered to the places of need far more quickly to boot.

Sixties boy:

You can t see so much discount in store,buy one get one free in any Europian country.I most EU country whole natural fruit ,vegetable ,meats more expensive x2.But in Uk small price in store.But this good for customer but not good for wages.Asda sale Spanish grape for 1 quid,in Europe this 2.50.Onior,carrots in Uk some 40 pence per kilo ,in EU about 2 euro.One kilo chicken file in EU about 7 euro,In England about 4 quid.And after some driver wonderfull about Freshlinc (Spaldnig) wages.Cheap price-low wages.

Andrejs:

Sixties boy:

You can t see so much discount in store,buy one get one free in any Europian country.I most EU country whole natural fruit ,vegetable ,meats more expensive x2.But in Uk small price in store.But this good for customer but not good for wages.Asda sale Spanish grape for 1 quid,in Europe this 2.50.Onior,carrots in Uk some 40 pence per kilo ,in EU about 2 euro.One kilo chicken file in EU about 7 euro,In England about 4 quid.And after some driver wonderfull about Freshlinc (Spaldnig) wages.Cheap price-low wages.

It’s the difference between euro and the quid if you want cheap anywhere in Europe just go to aldi or lidl in any country

Harry Monk:

Sixties boy:

But that’s a circular argument because if we still had our textile industry rather than having outsourced it to places like Turkey, we would be more than capable of making our own PPE, and having it delivered to the places of need far more quickly to boot.

Which is why we want to leave the nearby EU and seek trade links with…USA Australia and places even further away…
And why we voted in a Government that wants to pay our farmers subsidies (not to produce food) but to give us wild flowers and cycle paths.

Bigtruck3:

Andrejs:

Sixties boy:

It’s the difference between euro and the quid if you want cheap anywhere in Europe just go to aldi or lidl in any country

This EU pricee was based by Aldi,Lidl price.But they not cheapest in fruit,vegetable,meat.They have average price.May be they sale more cheap some processed food.

When parking up an hgv is the road tax only refundable monthly or are they able to claim by the unused weeks ? Just wondered.

Odd days:
When parking up an hgv is the road tax only refundable monthly or are they able to claim by the unused weeks ? Just wondered.

Believe it is monthly so if your thinking of doing it get in quick before the end of the month let it run a couple of days into May and you’ll pay for the whole month