45gal red diesel

Hi Guys I just stumbled across this thread with a Google search. I had a look at the forum and thought well worth me joining . I have a class 2 and will be upgrading to class 1 soon in order to drive 7.5 tonner with trailer .
My interest in this thread was just to see if these regs have changed since 2011 when the posts were new as I want to carry 200 litres of red diesel in a 205 litre drum in the back of my transit. I have a fire extinguisher and a spill kit.
Diesel Dave said this was fine in 2011 but just wanted to make sure this is still the case .

Great forum by the way !

Vin

I carry a 45 gallon drum filled with red diesel strapped to the headboard 2-3 times a week to fill machines up on site when they haven’t got a site tank. Would you guys say its illegal as iv no idea?

Cheers

thewheel:
I carry a 45 gallon drum filled with red diesel strapped to the headboard 2-3 times a week to fill machines up on site when they haven’t got a site tank. Would you guys say its illegal as iv no idea?

Cheers

Could you give us a clue as to what could be illegal about doing that please?

thewheel:

Cheers

are you a adr trained driver if not you can not carry this over to dd

spanishvan:

thewheel:

Cheers

yes you can :wink:

No training ADR etc. I posted because drums arent bunded and just wanted to know where i stand.

Cheers d4c24a

No problem with this at all. ADR doesn’t apply as it is under 1000 litres (IIRC).

thewheel:
No training ADR etc. I posted because drums arent bunded and just wanted to know where i stand.

Hi, thanks for the extra info. :smiley:

A drum doesn’t need to be bunded for carriage by road.

You can carry up to 1,000 liters of (or 5 X 45 gall drums) of red diesel without needing an ADR licence or orange plates on your vehicle etc, etc.

You do need 1 X 2kg dry powder fire extinguisher though. (Approved type, in date with seal and pin etc)

thewheel:
Cheers d4c24a

i only know because i asked diesel dave before about the same thing :laughing:
thanks DD :sunglasses:

spanishvan:

thewheel:

Cheers

Hi Spanishvan,

ADR allows some ‘freebies’ for most, but not all, dangerous goods.

In this case (Diesel fuel,) the ‘freebie’ is 1,000 liters carried on board a vehicle, and the amount Diesel fuel in the vehicle’s own tank doesn’t come into the reckoning.

d4c24a:

thewheel:
Cheers d4c24a

i only know because i asked diesel dave before about the same thing :laughing:
thanks DD :sunglasses:

That info is still correct. :wink: :smiley:

8wheels:
No problem with this at all. ADR doesn’t apply as it is under 1000 litres (IIRC).

Hi 8wheels,

The only little thing from ADR that does apply is the 2kg dry powder fire-extinguisher.

Easily forgotten about, but worth a PG9 if a VOSA man spots that it’s missing, or not fully compliant.

Both our ballast trucks carry 1000 litres on the trailer for the cranes, not sure I’ve ever spotted an extinguisher though. Will have a good look next time, cheers for the info!

Get this,

In last job, I was ‘told’ to carry a 2500litre site (bunded) fuel bowser (‘we’ know it was empty), then call past a gas products supplier and collect/add on 10 oxy and 10 acetalyne!! :open_mouth:

Gas supplier refused to sell and advised me it would be jail for me if anything happened! :open_mouth:

ie, whos to know the bowser in empty? (proof of cleaning + cert to say that) if not, it’s classed as ‘nominaly full’. Plus the gases, er, boom…

And as for the gas, I think he said I would be over my limit anyway before ADR, orange plates etc.

One of the MANY reasons I jumped ship!

HIya …your ok to carry that drum of cherry with a fire extinguisher. plus you,ll need a police ■■■■■■…
that drum is very valuble to certain members of the public.maybe thats what the fire extinguisher.
is for to fend them off
John

3300John:
HIya …your ok to carry that drum of cherry with a fire extinguisher. plus you,ll need a police ■■■■■■…
that drum is very valuble to certain members of the public.maybe thats what the fire extinguisher.
is for to fend them off
John

^^Quality!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

3300John:
is for to fend them off
John

pmsl :grimacing:

Thanks everyone put my mind at ease

dieseldave:

3300John:
is for to fend them off
John

^^Quality!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Armed guards and a direct cintact to SAS now aint it :confused: :wink:

Goldfinger:
Get this,

In last job, I was ‘told’ to carry a 2500litre site (bunded) fuel bowser (‘we’ know it was empty), then call past a gas products supplier and collect/add on 10 oxy and 10 acetalyne!! :open_mouth:

I think I’m gonna like this one… :grimacing:

First, can I assume (from you saying “carry”) that the “2,500litre site (bunded) bowser” is the kind that looks like a big metal IBC?

If it was the kind that looks like a big metal IBC, it counts as a package. If it was a package and it was nominally (= said to be) empty, then it doesn’t count for anything towards load limit ‘freebies’ in ADR, because there’s no ‘freebie’ limit on most empty packages and so you could carry an unlimited number of such things if you wished to without worrying about ADR…

Goldfinger:
Gas supplier refused to sell and advised me it would be jail for me if anything happened! :open_mouth:

If the bowser counts as an empty package, then the gas supplier was completely wrong and went on to lose himself a sale for no good reason.

Goldfinger:
ie, whos to know the bowser in empty? (proof of cleaning + cert to say that) if not, it’s classed as ‘nominaly full’. Plus the gases, er, boom…

If the bowser is of the ‘trailer’ kind, ie it was a tank on a chassis on wheels and towed behind your vehicle, then you’re correct because ADR counts such a vehicle as a tank vehicle and you’d be fully in scope of ADR just for that reason alone, whether it was empty or full.

However, if it was a package, which from the info you gave is more likely, then you and the gas supplier were both wrong. (There’s no grey area here. :wink: )

Goldfinger:
And as for the gas, I think he said I would be over my limit anyway before ADR, orange plates etc.

Until you tell me the sizes of the Acetylene and Oxygen cylinders, the jury is out cos it was quite possibly legal for you to have carried the (package) bowser, the oxygen and the acetylene all at once. ADR allows the bowser and the two kinds of gases to be carried on the same vehicle at the same time. Whether you were ‘in scope’ of ADR ( = needed an ADR licence and orange plates etc) depends on the quantity of the gases you’d been asked to carry.

Goldfinger:
One of the MANY reasons I jumped ship!

If nobody had a clue what they could or couldn’t do and made up rules as they went along, then I wouldn’t blame you for jumping ship. :open_mouth: :grimacing: