41st Annual HCVS Trans Pennine Run 2009

The above event takes place on Sunday 2nd August, starting from Birch Services West, and terminating at the Stray in Harrogate.

The only reason I mention this, is because I have been asked if I want to take part in a 1971 Seddon Atkinson Borderer, and naturally I’ve said yes. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

At this moment in time, I don’t have any further details, but as soon as I do, I’ll re-post if people are interested.

Ken.

Look forward to seeing you there Quinny.

Which Borderer are you taking?

I’ll be at Birch from Saturday afternoon as we usually camp out in the back of a trailer ready for the early start on the Sunday morning. I’ll be with the Bowker Atki but unfortunately I’ve been demoted to drive Bowkers support vehicle on the rally for their 1930’s Leyland Beaver.

I think you’ve covered the important details for the rally. Vehicles start leaving Birch (Westbound) by the rear service road from about 7.30am onwards, taking in Middleton, Rochdale, Littleborough, Todmorden, Halifax, Bradford, Shipley, Otley, arriving in Harrogate late morning.

There are usually lots of spectators along the route and there are several good viewing and stop off points. The village of Walsden (just south of Todmorden) an Harry Ramsdens at Guiseley are two popular stops.

Hi K.

It’s Mick Ridgwicks from Huddersfield,who I’m sure you’ll know.I work with his son Steve on the agency,and have known Steve about 6 years now.It isn’t going to be listed in the program,as the entry has only just gone in.Come and say hello if you see us.

Ken.

Will try to come accross to the Stray on the Sunday what time do you normally turn up and which Boarderer is yours?

The Biker:
Will try to come accross to the Stray on the Sunday what time do you normally turn up and which Boarderer is yours?

At the moment I am sketchy about the details,but I’m sure Killsville will probably know more.

I’ll hopefully get to know more about it nearer the time.

Ken.

Vehicles usually start arriving at the Stray late morning.

All the vehicles leaving Birch don’t leave together. Obviously, the slower vehicles are away early, usually leaving from about 7.30am. We usually leave between 8.30 & 9.00am, arriving in Harrogate at around noon.

There are usually some vehicles that do not do the road run but just turn up at the Stray. To see all the entries arrive, it would be best to be there for about 11.00am. The show tends to disperse at around 4pm.

If the weather is good, this is one of the best shows on the calendar. Also keep a look out for the Classic Car Road Run which runs the opposite direction at the same time!

I’ll keep people updated if I find out any more useful information.

i love this run i live in littleboro and the wife still cant understand why it take’s me 4 hours to get the sunday papers on this day !!!

N8DVS:
i love this run i live in littleboro and the wife still cant understand why it take’s me 4 hours to get the sunday papers on this day !!!

Give us a wave if you are out!

N8DVS:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

This is one of best road run’s to catch if you can, for me especially as it goes along Burnley Rd into Halifax and is just a 10min; walk from home :smiley: :smiley:
Have followed the motors up to the Stray a couple of times but normally just wait on the main road into Halifax and take piccy’s of everything going past. I’ll be around the traffic light’s at King Cross with my son and we will be giving you all a wave and trying to get some decent snaps :slight_smile:

Have a good day fellas and give us a wave back :smiley: :wink:
Regards
Dave Penn;

I’ll have the reg of Mick’s truck early next week,and will post on here,so those that are along the route,can give us a wave.

Ken.

Quinny:
The above event takes place on Sunday 2nd August, starting from Birch Services West, and terminating at the Stray in Harrogate.

The only reason I mention this, is because I have been asked if I want to take part in a 1971 Seddon Atkinson Borderer, and naturally I’ve said yes. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

At this moment in time, I don’t have any further details, but as soon as I do, I’ll re-post if people are interested.

Ken.

i want to go ont this. the packed lunch sounds good. a supose that the sun will be shining and we will be cutting wheat.

I’ll be in JMU 266K if anyone wants to look out for us.

Quinny:

Ahhhh! John Murphy’s old motor.? (The one in Hoyer colours)

killsville:

Quinny:

You mean this one:

garrysphotos.fotopic.net/p37934799_v10.html

Ken.

Quinny:

killsville:

Quinny:

You mean this one:

garrysphotos.fotopic.net/p37934799_v10.html

Ken.

Yes Ken! Thats the one.

[quote="killsville

Ahhhh! John Murphy’s old motor.? (The one in Hoyer colours)[/quote]
Yes Ken! Thats the one.
[/quote]
thats a nice one. killsville, what are the roads like for pot holes and such in the run?

road-ranger:
thats a nice one. killsville, what are the roads like for pot holes and such in the run?

Generally the roads are good, although I did once nearly lose a windscreen on a rough section between Otley & Harrogate.

Luckily, my brother was sat on the bonnet and grabbed the steering wheel whilst I grabbed the bottom of the windscreen and stopped it from dropping out. The windscreen was just ‘popped’ back in and we completed the rest of the run without further incident.

There shouldn’t be any such antics this year as I’ll be driving a Volvo FH!

Called on Birch this evening (Sat 1st August) and took a few pictures of the early arrivals for tomorrow

Some of Bradleys Loadstarr’s can be seen in action during the 1960s on the Northwest Trucks web site.

Hope to get some more pictures during the run on Sunday.

Regards Paul Anderson Northwest Trucks

A few pictures of the 41st HCVS Trans Pennine Run 2009

Atkinson Mk 2 Built 1969 Owner P. Morris of Preston.

Scammell Trunker Built 1971 Owner David Price of Salford.

Foden S36 Built 1969 Owner Stephen Jessup of Pickering.

ERF ‘A’ Series Built 1973 Owned by Peter Dalton of Carlisle.

Foden S36 Built 1969 Owned by Stephen Jessup of Pickering.

Leyland Comet 90 Built 1953 Owned by Peter Thompson of Metal Bridge.

Leyland Octopus 24.0/4 Built 1962 Owner Tony Wilson of Beverley.

ERF ‘B’ Series Built 1979 Owned by Anthony Brierley of Clayton Le Moors.

Atkinson Borderer Built 1974 Owned by Kevin Battersby of Oswaldtwistle.

Sentinel S4 Steam Wagon Built 1934 Owned by Peter Wareing of Wrea Green.

Some more pictures of the run will be added during the following week to the Northwest Trucks website.

Regards Paul Anderson