41st Annual HCVS Trans Pennine Run 2009

Great pics Moomooland, nice to se all those old moters on the road,much more interesting than the modern stuff.

good turn out today proberbly the best yet.
just a thought if the entrees could leave more space between each other it would help the photographers,thank you.
ELLIOTT OF YORK FODEN best turn out. :smiley: :smiley:

N8DVS:
just a thought if the entrees could leave more space between each other it would help the photographers,thank you.

That wasn’t the fault of the attendees at the Stray,if that’s what you mean.I think it was down to the town council stating that the field was too wet after the rain.However,I agree that more space would have been better.

I’m now off to bed,as I’m up at 0200 to set off to Magor,but when I get back on Tuesday,I’ll add my pics and two penneth worth as well.

Bloody good day though…

Ken.

N8DVS:

ELLIOTT OF YORK FODEN best turn out

Regards Paul Anderson Northwest Trucks

Had a great day on the run and on the stray,couldnt believe how many trucks were there,must have been the best attended yet?

As for the elliots being the best there it was very nice,but for me the yellow and red P and S contract mack artic was incredible :sunglasses:

vwvanman0:
Had a great day on the run and on the stray,couldnt believe how many trucks were there,must have been the best attended yet?

As for the elliots being the best there it was very nice,but for me the yellow and red P and S contract mack artic was incredible :sunglasses:

Regards Paul Anderson Northwest Trucks

Quinny:
Bloody good day though…

It was indeed Ken.

It was nice to finally put a face to a name! Glad you enjoyed the run - make sure if you’re doing it next year, your name is on that log book!

Andy

N8DVS:

Was one of the best turn outs I’ve seen in the 11 years I’ve been doing the run. I think it could be down to the fact that the Pickering Steam Fair is not until next week. Traditionally it is on the same weekend as the Trans Pennine. One of the HCVS marshalls told me that a total of 280 vehicles had entered - which is good by any standards!

Unfortunately, with that number of vehicles leaving in just over an hour, they are going to be close together. All credit to the people who have posted photos on here - they are cracking pictures.

N8DVS:
i love this run i live in littleboro and the wife still cant understand why it take’s me 4 hours to get the sunday papers on this day !!!

Hi fitted new air horns to my ERF E12, I got fed up with kids giving me the old chain pull sign and not
being able to blow their socks off :smiley: :smiley: If you wave I blow :smiley: Also fitted new Kenwood CD and
radio player, sounds a lot better then the old radio which must have been at least 23 years old.
regards Big Al

vwvanman0:

I agree vw, it was stunning, I always thought they had a depot at Wigan ? seem to think a mate of mine Mick Brady drove for them.
He then went onto one of Ruttle’s Macks, Fodens & DAFs until he retired. regards Big Al

Well I suppose as I was one of the passengers in one of the vehicles,I suppose I better have my two penneth worth.

Firstly,I must thank Mick and Steve Ridgwick for allowing me to have a rather large smile on my face from the off at Huddersfield.To say I enjoyed it would be an imense understatement. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

This was my first foray into clasic motoring of any kind,and I don’t think there would have been a better way to start.I had pre warned my father-in-law who lives in Mirfield,near Dewsbury as to what was happening.He drove for R.Hanson out of Newmillerdam between Wakefield and Barnsley in the late 60’s/early 70’s,and I had told him the route,should he wish to see any of the vehicles.I wasn’t,however,banking on him turning up at the start at Birch,and he had been out until 1am!!! There’s stamina for you.He was particularly taken with the Foden of Longsons,as they were part of the same,group and they used to go into Longsons yard regularly.

Once Steve and I had taken our morning coffee on board,we set off,and at first I was surprised how quiet the route was.However,this was soon to change,and I was gobsmacked at the number of people who had made the early morning effort to watch the trucks go through.The journey itself was uneventful,apart from one guy who Steve knew,had to send one of his trucks back to Huddersfield as it broke down in Hebden Bridge.That’s what happens when you don’t change the fuel filters.!!! :blush: It was nice to stop and have the customary bacon and egg sandwich en route,which went down rather well though. :grimacing:

Upon reaching Harrogate,I was a bit surprised that the organisers were forced to cram everyone into the small space allocated at the Stray,and while I take into consideration the fact that it had rained,thereby making the grass a little soft,when everyone had parked up,it resembled a truck stop.Perhaps the organisers should take this on board,and look for a hard standing area next year.If one isn’t available in Harrogate,perhaps they should consider a new town as the finish,and have a proper display that you can walk around properly.Yes,I agree that the turnout was exceptional,and this is another thing the organisers should consider.

Anyhow,the weather did behave itself,and a good day was had by all I think,and if anyone needs a driver next year,if the Atkinson has been sold,then you know where to find me. :wink:

My steed for the day:

Steve hard at work for the first time:

None of your transfer rubbish here,this is proper signwriting:

And again:

3rd one,and my father-in-laws favourite:

And in no particular order: