40mph and the a66

It’s funny how many drivers think getting home early is an excuse to break the law.

When I drove for Woolworths before its demise,all our vehicle were covered by Isotrack (as are our vehicles at Wincanton) and the system knows the speed limits of the road being used. If a vehicle was speeding it would alert an operator in red and a b*llocking wouldn’t be to far away or disciplinary procedures, We were advised that when a dual carriageway loomed to stay at the same speed and allow following traffic to pass. I add that the above didn’t happen on the A75 where it was every man for him/herself (Especially if the boat was in ) whereas we would dive in every layby if the Irish descended !!

Im one of the 40 brigade too (oh alright 40 to 43 if I dont catch it). Usually I will pull over if theres a load of trucks behind, which there normally is quite a lot. 5 minutes in a layby on other work is a great way of tossing it off a bit and also literally tossing it off if the mood takes me.

Anyway enjoy it while it last as next year the heroes will be doing 50+ and getting in all sorts of misschief.

Course if your up my chuff on the s/c then your going to have trouble getting past on the D/C as I like to play a little game to see how annoying I can be…Think the OP may be one of me victims… :wink:

40mph is the law,unless you have blue flashing lights on your vehicle your journey is no more important than mine…don’t like it?tough!

and when it goes up to 50 the same people will be pushing you along to do 56!

It’s like a Tesco drivers’ meeting on here…All you Brake members taking everyones’ safety seriously, if you go above 36 do you forfeit a creme egg at Easter or something? :unamused:
All the op complained about was the 40 lot going flat out on duals to stop people overtaking. The Isotrak excuse is cancelled out simply because you then go above 50 to annoy other people, making you no better than the self appointed police who overtake us on motorways and then slow down well under the roadworks speed limit.
Nobody’s having a go at those who do the speed limit, just lose the holier than thou attitude, you wont get a George Cross for it.

I do 40 mph on s/c but if I can help the truck behind too get passed I will,then when I reach d/c it’s 50 mph until truck/ s are passed and on there way ,I then keep my eye out behind as income up too next stretch of d/c and adjust my speed too help any truck/s that are just behind me to get passed before I drop too 40 mph on s/c ,this only applies tues-fri,on sat last shift it’s foot too the floor board everywhere .

God forbidding anyone has accident but how does one explain why they were doing 56 on a 40 single carriageway, your fault or not they’ll throw the book at you. And for what making up about 10/15 mins before the a1 or m6.

mr lordi:
God forbidding anyone has accident but how does one explain why they were doing 56 on a 40 single carriageway, your fault or not they’ll throw the book at you. And for what making up about 10/15 mins before the a1 or m6.

You can’t educate pork.

I think as long as you’re keeping with the flow of traffic and not being a pillock then the police don’t really mind too much, unless something happens, then they will mind.

mr lordi:

its 25 mins quicker if your sitting at 55 and when your going up and down 4 times a day, it soon adds up

also, we run at 44 tons so getting up the hills when your sat behind someone doing 40 is a nightmare

Hiya think your self lucky is was 40mph on duel carriageway until about 1985.
the general speed limit for hgv,s was 28 mph until 1963. not as thought many
drivers or police bothered about the 28mph bit. a firm in Stoke run trucks from
Devon to Galsgow in 1966/67 with 32mph AEC,s
John

Deleted

vtrfire:

mr lordi:

its 25 mins quicker if your sitting at 55 and when your going up and down 4 times a day, it soon adds up

also, we run at 44 tons so getting up the hills when your sat behind someone doing 40 is a nightmare

The real issue I had was not really about losing time or money, it was a safety factor.

Trukkertone:
I live In Appleby. I drive my car and various trucks on the A66…While I am getting 49.7mpg out of my 2 litre diesel Vectra at the moment…

Get rid then cos I’m getting over 52 mpg out of the 406 2 ltr diesel I just bought :slight_smile:

vtrfire:

What tractor are you using ?

460 Volvo

damfool:
I think as long as you’re keeping with the flow of traffic and not being a pillock then the police don’t really mind too much, unless something happens, then they will mind.

How do you explain the letter I have recently received from North Yorkshire Police then about, “Exceeding the Goods Vehicle Speed Limit” ? £85 for speed awareness or £100 and SP10.

The amount as hassle I get at 40 MPH :blush: And I haven’t got all day to keep pulling over and as I,m doing over 50KMP I,m not legally obliged, as like agricultural tractors “JCB Fastrac” for example don’t need too.

At 50 MPH people will happily sit behind you but at 40 its suicide over take announcers galore. Yep and in the first bit of dual carriageway I will stick to 40 so hurry up and get past because I want to get my foot down (that’s mainly one car that sits there and takes minutes to get past!) by which time we back in single carriageway.

vtrfire:

It doesn’t add up, it subtracts. You get back 25 minutes quicker than you’re supposed to and someone somewhere will factor that into the costing. Before you know it, you have to break the law to make the job pay.

Drivers are their own worst enemy.

vtrfire:

No it isn’t.

Its 48 miles from Scotch Corner to Penrith. At 55 MPH for the total route it takes 54 minutes. At 40MPH for the total route it takes 1h 12m, the difference is 16 minutes. Except you don’t do 40MPH all the way because there’s roughly 40% of it dual carriageway so the difference between running legal and bent as you do is probably under 10 minutes. So you go up and down it 4 times a day you save 40 minutes assuming you do 55MPH from start to finish (I hope you don’t do 55 through the 40 limit at Kirby Thore) which isn’t even enough to go one full length in one direction. Assuming you mean there and back 4 times you save 1hr 20 which still isn’t enough time to do another run. So from a lost load point of view you lose nothing. From a driver’s point of view you cost yourself an hours wage whilst putting your license at risk.

Perhaps your company should spec decent motors. I run at 40 and have no problem getting up the hills when running full weight with chipboard on and the motor I’m doing it in has over a million km on the clock. The very worst hill I drop 5MPH.