40mph and the a66

so how come drivers think its ok to do 40mph on single carridgeways then give it the beans on the dual carridgeway bits so no one can get passed?

go up and down the road most days and its really starting to do my ffing head in

so how come drivers think its ok to do 56 on a single carriageway when the limit is 40mph?

It does my ffing head in when you have some prick about 3 foot from your back doors as if they are going to push you faster

Where is that pointless thread link? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

the law is 40, fair enough but i witnessed 4 close calls of cars/trucks trying to get passed a truck doing 40 just today. and that law is ■■■■■■■■ anyway hence its going upto 50

if someone wants to drive at 30 everywhere, i’m more than happy for them, but ffs let people past. some of us like to get home before midnight

vtrfire:
the law is 40, fair enough but i witnessed 4 close calls of cars/trucks trying to get passed a truck doing 40 just today. and that law is [zb] anyway hence its going upto 50

That is the fault of the person overtaking, I will not risk £100 and 3 points MINIMUM if caught speeding, ESPECIALLY on such a highly enforced route.

vtrfire:
if someone wants to drive at 30 everywhere, i’m more than happy for them, but ffs let people past. some of us like to get home before midnight

For the record, I do 50 on the D/C, and see why you would get ZBed off, do you not get paid by the hour?

same here sorry why should u risk my job my clean license and my insurance premium to break the law for a person i dont know, stick to the limits unless you got a hero to tag on to

The limit is rising to 50 on a s/c early next year

Moose:
The limit is rising to 50 on a s/c early next year

Yep, April I believe.

So until April I will be remaining at 40MPH on the S/C

I cant work out if your post is pointing it out or if it is excusing speeding as the limit is going up anyway? Could you please clarify?

“Sorry M’lud, but the limit IS going up next year”

Then the nutters wii try to do 60 all the time (even on the A66) better to arrive home an hour late and even after midnight than not to arrive home at all !!

trubster:
ESPECIALLY on such a highly enforced route.

I,d say the opposite, i usually go over there at 50ish and dont remember seeing a single police car lurking anywhere along there in the last few years

personally i sit at around 45ish on sc and 55 on duals, if someone in front doing 40 its no big deal as i can usually overtake(safely)on stainmore. :slight_smile:

chaversdad:

trubster:
ESPECIALLY on such a highly enforced route.

I,d say the opposite, i usually go over there at 50ish and dont remember seeing a single police car lurking anywhere along there in the last few years

Mobile Speed Camera Elton - A66
This is a mobile Gatso unit located on the A66 near to Elton (about 7 miles outside Darlington).

Mobile Speed Camera Longnewton - A66
Beware of a purpose built lay-by for a mobile speed camera which is situated 300-400 metres further on…

Gatso Speed Camera Longnewton - A66
Gatso painted fluorescent green / yellow on the left hand side of the road just at the end of section of Armco barrier.

Nearest Town/village: Stainton, Road Name: A66, Direction of Camera: Eastbound, Speed Limit: 70mph
Speed Camera Details: Mobile police speed camera van which sits in a lay-by on the downhill stretch of the eastbound dual-carriageway (Troutbeck Moor) between Penruddock and Stainton.
Ref. #: NWCU005

A66 Gatherley Moor

A66 West Layton

A66 Westbound Gilling West

Just a few hits under “A66 Speed camera locations”

They are out quite often, the one in Stainton is a popular one because the hero’s are on the limiter on the DC then they park in the layby at the bottom of the hill getting HGV’s at 60+

Not all police cars are bright yellow and blue :unamused: Its mainly the camera vans, I saw one that was orange and unmarked with a pop down window with a big camera inside.

I’m one of the unfortunate drivers whose speed is monitored and three warnings I’m on the dole. I sit at 40 in the remotest parts of the highlands. No problem letting folk pass when possible and safe to do so. On the rare d/c I gun it all the way to 50 (seems fast when you do 95% of your miles at 40) Heroes can pass at 56 then. Try and intimidate me or sit far too close to see a safe overtake on the singles and you will be behind me till the cows come home. I had an aggressive tipper behind me doing 40 for 5 miles today. Pulled in as soon as the first car appeared in my mirror to let them both go. I’m paid by the hour not by the load, hopefully the tipper will miss his daily target. I got 2 hrs overtime. :laughing:

vtrfire:
so how come drivers think its ok to do 40mph on single carridgeways then give it the beans on the dual carridgeway bits so no one can get passed?

go up and down the road most days and its really starting to do my ffing head in

I do 40MPH on the SC bits of the A66 and I don’t give a flying toss whether you like it or not. And when the speed limit goes up to 50 I’ll still be doing 40 on the twisty bits because of what I carry. If you can’t cope with drivers obeying the law then maybe you should find another career. If you can’t cope with taking an extra few minutes to go from Scotch Corner to Penrith then maybe you should find another career. If your employer makes runs so tight maybe you should find another job.

Sad part is that if I ever have an accident on the A66 its probably going to be because of a twunt like you.

Well said Trubster, Plugster, Raymundo, GraigM and Conor.

OP: you won’t get any support on here as the forum is full of ‘‘new skool’’, car driver loving, hi viz wearing supermarket trolley dolly drivers who hate anything other than a basic plain white Daf CF :unamused:

Yes its frustrating. Why would anyone stick religiously to a speed limit on a A road then when a duel section comes up boot it to 56 :confused: - Its just law abiding when it suits.

peterm:
Well said Trubster, Plugster, Raymundo, GraigM and Conor.

+1

ajt:
OP: you won’t get any support on here as the forum is full of ‘‘new skool’’, car driver loving, hi viz wearing supermarket trolley dolly drivers who hate anything other than a basic plain white Daf CF :unamused:

Yes its frustrating. Why would anyone stick religiously to a speed limit on a A road then when a duel section comes up boot it to 56 :confused: - Its just law abiding when it suits.

That’s one thing I like about going down the A65. Yes the tippers are a pain in the arse if you get stuck behind one on one of the hills and you’re down to 20mph but at least they get their toe down to 56+ when it levels out. Too many “I’m paid by the hour” self-appointed road police do-gooders on this site now. :unamused:

ajt:
OP: you’ll get plenty of support on here as the forum is full of ‘‘old skool’’, frilly curtain loving, wife-beater vest wearing, shower dodgers who hate anything other than going as fast as they possibly can at all times. :unamused:

FTFY :laughing:

ajt:

Yes its frustrating. Why would anyone stick religiously to a speed limit on a A road then when a duel section comes up boot it to 50 :confused: - Its just law abiding when it suits.

Fixed that for you :slight_smile:

I can think of nothing more ■■■■■■ than a CF, oh yeah I can, a premium.

I live In Appleby. I drive my car and various trucks on the A66… it amuses me to watch some drivers hurtling down towards the end of the dual carriageway sections when I can see a truck in the distance pottering along at 40 or 45, they are gonna be stuck behind it and I am gonna catch up to them in the next few minutes… It is 50 miles from Penrith to Scotch Corner and usually takes me about an hour and a quarter in an artic. if I tried to do it on the limiter it would maybe only take an hour but I’d be stressed, might get a speeding ticket, and definitely getting less pay… If I’m in the car I just tag along and watch the idiots go hurtling by… While I am getting 49.7mpg out of my 2 litre diesel Vectra at the moment…