40' Trailers

This is a mid 70’s shot of a Crane Fruehauf PSK,it had the heavier 10 ton ROR axles.

Bewick:
This is a mid 70’s shot of a Crane Fruehauf PSK,it had the heavier 10 ton ROR axles.

Hey Trev,that black spot is on this shot as well so it must have been a mark on my copier----- not yours!! sorry for any inconvienience mate!!! Doh! Cheers Dennis.

5thwheel:

Bewick:
This is a shot of one of our early York SL34 40 footers probably no 7 or 8 standing at the Mill in Beetham the date would be around early '72 and this trailer was only operated at 30 ton GVW at the time coupled to the Atki Borderers we were running.

Dennis,

You need to patch that hole in the flysheet!

Rgds,

David :unamused:

Same trailer and load from a distance,you will see I moved the “hole in the sheet” up into the field behind !! Wish I could have done that with every rip and tear we got in the sheets !! Cheers Dennis.

worked as a dock shunter for ulster ferry transport preston docks in the 60s.Remember the first ones arriving we all thought they where huge and best of all they had 8 twist locks,when the ferries where in and other ships unloading flats and containers preston dock was hugely busy. finding somewhere to park the 40 foots in the lanes that where not made for them was difficult.

Bewick:
Good thread been started here!! As I only started work in the industry in late '65 as a youngster I wasn’t much interested in C & U regs,but I can re-call that 40ft trailers didn’t start appearing until about 1968.Prior to this the 33ft tandem had been trailer of choice.I also recall hearing at the time that Robsons of Carlisle were stuck with a huge fleet of mainly Northern 33 footers as the demand for 40ft trailers started to gather pace from customers,I also re-call at that time the late Alex Boyes junior complaining that the customer was reluctant to pay anymore rate for the additional 7ft of deck length! A similar set of circumstanes ocurred when Curtainsiders started to gain popularity in the late 70’s and customer demand for them started to render sheets and ropes redundant.Prior to me leaving Brady’s in early '68 I also remember that up to that time they didn’t run any 40 footers although they were still taking delivery of new Boden 33 footers so I’m fairly certain that until the 1968 Transport act came in and allowed the 40 ft trailer to be operated genrally throughout the industry the previous dimensions had made their operation impractical! Cheers Dennis.

Mr Dennis is right it was 1968, I’ve just checked my log book I kept as a teenager from traveling with my Dad on the 29 July 1967 we took a new length trailer to Preston dock for shipment over to Ireland, Dad had been demonstrating the new car transporter trailer for a week 15 meter (12 meter without the peak overhang, or 40 foot), he had to have special permission to drive it, as the new law wasn’t coming in until 1968, i think Jan 1st but could be wrong, I went with him to Preston that Saturday as it was the first time in an AEC Erogomatic Cab KKV 886F.

ardennes:
worked as a dock shunter for ulster ferry transport preston docks in the 60s.Remember the first ones arriving we all thought they where huge and best of all they had 8 twist locks,when the ferries where in and other ships unloading flats and containers preston dock was hugely busy. finding somewhere to park the 40 foots in the lanes that where not made for them was difficult.

We probably met all those years ago “ardennes”, my first driving job was with HG Barber of Bradwell near Gt. Yarmouth and we used to bring egg-trays to Ulster Ferry. We would handball them onto “Preston Flats” and, after being sheeted, they were secured with nets. I can remember UF’s foreman, I think his name was Ken, also I would chat to the old boy who drove the crane but can’t remember his name as it was such a long time ago. It was a good days work back then, leave Yarmouth, up to Preston, tip and park up. We would have B&B at the Olympia Cafe on Strand Rd. (otherwise known as Nelsons) which was a rough hole. After a few months we found some brilliant digs in Grimshaw St. Good days. Regards Haddy.

Frankydobo:
The weight limits are intertwined with vehicle length and width limits during the Sixties to Seventies and the many changes to C&U regs. From a table I have in a book it states, Artics on four axles 30 Ton from 1964 and 32 Ton from 1966, Three axles 22 Ton 1964 and 24 Ton 1966. In 1973 the Metric measurement came in to C&U and the limit was 32.52 tonnes, with the 38 tonne limit coming in 1983. However in 1964 max artic length was 13m or 42ft 7ins and in 1968 15m or 49ft 2 1/2 ins, when the 40 foot trailer became legal to cope with demand of the 40ft container. Widths also changed from 8ft to 8ft 2 1/2 ins or 2.5m in 1964 up to 1996 when they changed to 2.55m. Fridge trailers differ slightly because of the insulated bodies.

From my personal memories I know my Fathers 1965 (C reg) Seddon was plated for 32 Ton, the first 32 Tonner Steenburgs bought, but he wouldn’t have been able to run at that I suppose until 66 with a tandem axle 33ft trailer. I started for Alfie Ellis in Summer 1968 as an apprentice and his Mandators GCW was 32 Ton with a standard tandem axle 40 ft flat. I can’t recall now the legal reasons for the spread axle 40 footers but did they not come about until the start of the 70’s. I can remember the Scammell 40 ft spread axle as it had a very high ride height and deep chassis, almost needed step ladders to get onto it. Interesting thread and bound to create debate! Franky.

I started work in late 1969 for Miles Druce Metals, we got a new Leyland Beaver ( HPT720H) plus 40’ tandem axle trailer not long afterwards, this was the first 32t outfit we had. I took my HGV test in this motor in 1970. Regards Kev.

You could only operate at 32 ton gvw with a Widespread bogie or a tri-axle 40ft trailer (ugh,those centre knave wheels) until the DOT allowed a slightly wider axle spread on a close couple tandem bogie in late '72 IIRC,I bought a 36ft York SL34 trailer at that time and it came with the “new” spread and could operated at 32 ton.The first new Borderer unit I got in '71 was only 30 ton gvw with a close coupled bogie which had its axles plated at 9 ton each whereas when the bogie spread was only slightly increased the axles weight increased to 9:25 ton.Well thats my memory of the time if it makes sense :blush: Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
You could only operate at 32 ton gvw with a Widespread bogie or a tri-axle 40ft trailer (ugh,those centre knave wheels) until the DOT allowed a slightly wider axle spread on a close couple tandem bogie in late '72 IIRC,I bought a 36ft York SL34 trailer at that time and it came with the “new” spread and could operated at 32 ton.The first new Borderer unit I got in '71 was only 30 ton gvw with a close coupled bogie which had its axles plated at 9 ton each whereas when the bogie spread was only slightly increased the axles weight increased to 9:25 ton.Well thats my memory of the time if it makes sense :blush: Cheers Bewick.

Weren`t those spread axle trailers bad for scrubbing tyres off Dennis ?

Hi , Folks About 1968/9 we bought an ex Pickfords 8 wheel Atki had it cut down to a twin steer unit at York Trailors Warrington ,we bought a 40 ft Northen tandem ex Peter Mculam ,So went to pick it up from dealer in ASHTON IN Makerfield ,I had never driven any thing that long before we came back via Warrington came down the street went round the big island looked in the mirrow the trailor was on top of it in amongst the flowers .My first time with a 40 footer soon learnt ,Just a bit of usless info Cheers Barry

ramone:

Bewick:

Weren`t those spread axle trailers bad for scrubbing tyres off Dennis ?

Aye “ramone” they weren’t the best and the new tri-axles wern’t much better if you neglected the tyres,the worst tyre wear was always on the front nearside so to counter this we would change the wheels round periodically to get even wear across the board.On a triaxle the centre axle was the kindest as regards wear because the bogie pivoted on this axle.When I took over a local operator,McGuffie Transport,in 1974 we aquired 5 C/F widespread trailers which we continued running on the traffic that came with them,I have got to say that they made for a smooth ride loaded,no nodding like you got with a normal 40ft close coupled bogie they certainly kept the unit nice and level on the move.But once the C&U rules on axle spreads were altered and you could operate at 32ton with an ordinary bogie the widespread,20ton bogie,died a death IIRC.Cheers Dennis.

Just wondered when did the tandem 40 footer become the standard trailer for 32 tonners?

boris:
Just wondered when did the tandem 40 footer become the standard trailer for 32 tonners?

As far as I can remember it was mid 60s , A pal of mine had a Mandator E reg with a C/F, Twist lock trailer which was a 40 footer. Regards Larry

boris:

Good question “boris” which may set off another “interesting” thread! I think the changes to normal trailer lengths came about in 1968 when Barbara Castle introduced the new 1968 Transport Act which heralded the start of the annual MOT tests for HGV’s and was accompanied by the abolishing of the 1933 carriers licencing act.However IIRC (from first hand experience) the standard close coupled bogie on a 40ft tandem was only allowed to operate at 30 ton GVW until Nov/Dec 1972.Prior to this date you had to have a wide-spread or tri-axle bogie to run at 32 tons GVW.In 1972 there was a slight alteration in axle spread on a tandem bogie which allowed the 2 ton increase in GVW on 4 axles.Prior to the '68 act only an 8 wheeler and trailer could operate at 32 ton GVW under normal operation,artics were only allowed to operate at 24 tons GVW with the much maligned “4 in-line” trailer being the lightest load carrier at 24 ton GVW.I think I’ve provided the “bones” of an answer but no doubt I will have omitted something which some of the other members will rectify! Cheers Bewick.

Aye, Babara Bloody Castle doubled the V.E.D. She made a lot of changes, which caused a lot of dificultys for the hauliers, I often wonder how in the hell she ever qualified for such a position in goverment, what a disaster she was , Regards Larry

Dennis I have a feeling that the date for 32 tons on a twin axle was in the 60s but not sure if it was a 40ft trailer or not as I know we helped out at BRS when quiet and I always copped for bricks or most likely cement from Hope 400 bags for 20 ton and they were bleeding hot. I am only questioning the dates as you know my brain as rotted away and you will be far more into this side of things than a very POOR ex driver. :laughing:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Aye, Babara Bloody Castle doubled the V.E.D. She made a lot of changes, which caused a lot of dificultys for the hauliers, I often wonder how in the hell she ever qualified for such a position in goverment, what a disaster she was , Regards Larry

When all this agg. was going on with Ms.Castle in 68/69 I was once parked in Commercial rd. and some aggreived individual chalked on the back cross member of my flat " Barbara Castle has one Harold Wilson is one"---- I’ve never understood what they meant— but I’m sure on the right site to have it explained to me!!! Innocent as the day is long me-- until I found this site!!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

When all this agg. was going on with Ms.Castle in 68/69 I was once parked in Commercial rd. and some aggreived individual chalked on the back cross member of my flat " Barbara Castle has one Harold Wilson is one"---- I’ve never understood what they meant— but I’m sure on the right site to have it explained to me!!! Innocent as the day is long me-- until I found this site!!! Cheers Dennis.

They do last a lifetime and cannot be worn out either :laughing: :laughing:
ANON. :wink:

Re Castle/Wilson truer words have never been spoken , She had one & he is one , now theres a thing, matched perfectley a right pair of tw>ts, Regards Larry

I can state,quite catergorcally, that 32 ton on 4 axles came in around late '72 as I re-call loading a new trailer ( York SL 34 36ft tandem) with 20ton of reels for Bracknell,then the Mill came up at the last minute with an urgent 2 ton for Slough! So me being me! I said we’ll stick it on as well!! Well at Watford there was a weighbridge that the Ministry used regular which this particular driver had been pulled over the week before.So I leaves him a note to the effect "I hope those -------- aren’t weighing to-morrow cause your “heavy on”! Guess what,yes he got pulled the following morning but just scraped in at 32ton and the trailer bogie was just in at 18.5 ton. I hadn’t realised that the axle spread had been altered slightly and the axle weights lifted to 9.25 ton from 9ton. If it had been on one of our other tandems it would have been over weight by a couple of ton.Phew!! Dennis. :blush: :blush: