40 mph average speed cameras

What speed do you guys think is safe in these?Im running through the ones on the M90 north of the bridge twice a day at 45 on the speedo and so far so good.Well,45 when I can get past the clowns doing 30. I notice they now have flashing signs up to remind you its 40 limit but I`ve only tripped one of these once.
Am I also right in thinking these average speed things do not clock your speed but read your numberplate and compute your speed from that?

Yes average speed over the set distance, probably your 45 is in reality 43 so I wouldn’t do more than 45 .

chances are you are doing around 2MPH less than the indicated speed in a truck (higher difference in a car) and they usually give an allowance depending on the regional police force. 45 is probably safe enough but i wouldnt risk any more than that.

this is assuming they are live and not dummies like the M80 which never had any cabling laid :wink:

I’ve been caught for speeding once since 1981 (been very lucky) but the last time was was when I was taking a deportee to Aberdeen airport (official government business, did it help? did it bollox) so if the speed limit says 40, my speedo and sat nav if used reads the same. If that annoys any speed merchants out there then bloody tough :exclamation: :slight_smile:

its more luck than anything else. northumberland police are notorious for their strict enforcement yet on the 2 occasions they have caught me, neither even stopped me. the first overtook and slowed to 40 which was a clear message then off he went. the second was behind me for a while. i didnt know it was a copper until he passed on a dual carriageway a couple of miles after the scamera i slowed down for. some will do you for the sake of it, others will use their common sense and make a judgement based on how you are driving and the conditions rather than the letter of the law

On a single carriageway road they are self defeating in reducing accidents because if you drive at 40 the car drivers then overtake and risk hitting something. If you drive at 45-50 everyone sits in an orderly queue behind you. I drive at whatever the speed limit is from start to finish.

How much time do you honestly think you will gain by doing 45 instead of 40? :question:

just change lanes between each set of cameras,they can only get you if you stay in the same lane

waddy640:
On a single carriageway road they are self defeating in reducing accidents because if you drive at 40 the car drivers then overtake and risk hitting something. If you drive at 45-50 everyone sits in an orderly queue behind you. I drive at whatever the speed limit is from start to finish.

thats fine if you arent in a hurry but there have been quite a few rescues for a certain company ever since they started enforcing speed limits themselves. planning a route without allowing for delays in real or driving time on an already 9+ driving hours trip is daft. A-B-A might take 9 1/2 hours but factor in a few junctions, parking, moving to the place they want the trailer, dropping it, finding the return trailer and hooking up, back to the transport office, stopping at security etc all eats up driving time. suddenly that 10 hours has a 10 minute safety margin

andrew.s:
just change lanes between each set of cameras,they can only get you if you stay in the same lane

Are you sure of this?

andrew.s:

Myth Alert.

That was the case in the early days of using these cameras but it has since been changed andhasn’t been the case for many years. If you look these days they don’t even have the same number of cameras as lanes, often just two cameras covering three lanes.

Few months ago I followed a Tesco’s truck, other supermarkets are available, through the roadworks on the M25 in Essex and he obviously believed this BS as he kept changing lanes. problem was he hadn’t quite grasped the concept so used lane 1 most of the time and switched to lane 2 before every camera and back to lane 1 after it, thereby passing each camera in the same lane. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

andrew.s:

Bit difficult on an sc

scanny77:

waddy640:

thats fine if you arent in a hurry but there have been quite a few rescues for a certain company ever since they started enforcing speed limits themselves. planning a route without allowing for delays in real or driving time on an already 9+ driving hours trip is daft. A-B-A might take 9 1/2 hours but factor in a few junctions, parking, moving to the place they want the trailer, dropping it, finding the return trailer and hooking up, back to the transport office, stopping at security etc all eats up driving time. suddenly that 10 hours has a 10 minute safety margin

I’m certainly not in any hurry to get points on my licence. Everyone has an excuse for speeding, that is why the job is in the state it’s in. All the time drivers try and achieve the impossible, planners will carry on dishing out unattainable targets. Remember, it’s not their licence that gets the points.

waddy640:

andrew.s:

Bit difficult on an sc

whoops!

I change lanes and have done for years. Never had a ticket once. It’s still the case as far as I’m concerned,

Olly650:
How much time do you honestly think you will gain by doing 45 instead of 40? :question:

Its not a question of doing 45 instead of 40.Its a question of doing 45 instead of 30 or less.It`s a long way from the Inverkeithing slip to the Crossgates flyover.
Noticed the camera van in a layby just up from the last camera on the A92 this morning.

bigvern1:
I change lanes and have done for years. Never had a ticket once. It’s still the case as far as I’m concerned,

That’ll be because you aren’t going fast enough to trigger the cameras and nothing to do with changing lanes. They put an end to that little dodge years ago. I go through them well over the limit in either the truck or the car, don’t do the lane changing thing, and have also never had a ticket from them.

This thread is just another perfect example of ‘thick as ■■■■’ truckers, especially the OP. Speed limit is 40 so you do 45 and chance your luck that your licence will still be intact at the end of restriction by hoping they are set to trigger at more than 45. You couldn’t make this ■■■■ up. Just because I’m an evil ■■■■■■■ I hope they are set at 45 and you’ve triggered all 5 sets so are now looking at a ban for your stupidity.

Are these “average speed” cameras linked to a database to know if the veh is a car or HGV? Or do they just log the vrn then investigate further if speeding?

Was on the A52 along side Bingham the other day. Single carriageway, national speed limit but 40mph for us obviously. If I were to say, match a cars speed at around 50mph, could I get a ticket and he not?

I go through a lot quicker than I should! :wink: