4 ways on in yard?

Got a regular collection every day… i was told that I must use hazard lights at all times.

It’s a one way system.

Personally I don’t unless I am stopping and about to reverse on to a loading bay.
The clicking noise and flashing light annoys me and sometimes sets off migraine.

One day another driver stopped me told me to use hazards. Asked him who he was. Manager or HSE rep?

No agency driver he says.
So just carried on as normal.

Again another driver today told me that I must use them. So I did then later as I stopped to reverse on to bay he nearly run up the back of me as he did not realise that I was about to start reversing. I knew he was behind me.

On my assessment driving trainer said stupid rule about 4 ways on. Only use them if you are going to be a hazard.

At out RDC it’s 4 way flashers and headlights on, speed limit 14 MPH and yield to shunters who seem to have a 40 MPH limit and no lights on at all. :confused:

It’s a rule in our place also, call me old fashioned but I think they should only be used if broke down at the side of the road or reversing. Oh and if parking where you shouldn’t be.

Place we load from has the same rule. I always ignore it, unless reversing. 2 way system, and a couple of years ago I saw two wagons nearly hit each other because neither knew which way the other was going :laughing: Still got the same stoopid rule tho’ :unamused:

I was driving a MAN rigid, the signal clicks were so quiet I always forgot I had them on. Went to turn into a RDC, this artic driver was just sat there not moving. After some confusing hand signals and backing up to let him round I noticed I had my hazards on instead of my indicator. Man did I feel like a muppet.

In growhow at ince. (Fertilizer factory) it actually states do not use hazard lights when driving around site (as it might be confusing and not an actual hazard as such )
. In our yard I only use them when reversing as not all the trailers have reversing lights fitted .(no company policy or rules at our place just something I do )

Lots of places have daft rules but it’s their site so their rules .

So you don’t get a migraine from the really noisey indicator when on the road then ?
Seriously just use the hazards and crack on !!

I’m just glad my employer treats it’s drivers like adults capable of figuring these manoeuvres for themselves.

mark haywood:
So you don’t get a migraine from the really noisey indicator when on the road then ?

it’s the constant repetitive noise that sets them off, along with other factors i.e flashing beacons/strobes etc

Do you shut your eyes and cover your ears near zebra crossings or emergency services vehicles with lights and sirens going ?

It is wasting electricity having the flashers on. Last year my bill was too much at £872.

Depends on the truck I suppose, but there might be a menu or a setting somewhere to allow you to set the volume of noises like indicator click. Have a look in the manual…?

andy187:

mark haywood:

it’s the constant repetitive noise that sets them off, along with other factors i.e flashing beacons/strobes etc

I think in this case a full and proper risk assesment should of been done, and really you would need sunglasses and ear protectors :smiley:

peterm:
Do you shut your eyes and cover your ears near zebra crossings or emergency services vehicles with lights and sirens going ?

ha ha

they are briefly…

Sumsmeister:
Depends on the truck I suppose, but there might be a menu or a setting somewhere to allow you to set the volume of noises like indicator click. Have a look in the manual…?

its a 10 year old axor… even that is enough to set it off lol

bloody nutty idea
on one of my first visits to Purfleet docks
nearly got clouted by a shunter i was about
to pulll out of a lane cos i thought he was
indicating left when in fact in had a
flasher out

andy187:
Got a regular collection every day… i was told that I must use hazard lights at all times.

It’s a one way system.

Personally I don’t unless I am stopping and about to reverse on to a loading bay.
The clicking noise and flashing light annoys me and sometimes sets off migraine.

One day another driver stopped me told me to use hazards. Asked him who he was. Manager or HSE rep?

Again another driver today told me that I must use them. So I did then later as I stopped to reverse on to bay he nearly run up the back of me as he did not realise that I was about to start reversing. I knew he was behind me.

On my assessment driving trainer said stupid rule about 4 ways on. Only use them if you are going to be a hazard.

I’d have told that agency driver to get a life,why do some bloke seem to think they can tell folk what to do :imp:

chester1:
‘…Lots of places have daft rules but it’s their site so their rules …’

+1

Learned that on DCPC: 35 hours well spent, eh :unamused:

Doing so would nicely cover one’s ■■■■ too should a third-party Muppet cause any type of incident in which we’re innocently involved :smiley:

yorkshire terrier:
I’d have told that agency driver to get a life,why do some bloke seem to think they can tell folk what to do :imp:

I’m agency but only been driving for a few months. How long should I leave it before putting on a Sargeant Majors beret? :smiling_imp:

yorkshire terrier:

andy187:

It’s a one way system.

And thats exactly why a lot of drivers now just mind their own business. If i saw someone putting derv in their Adblue tank (for example) i wouldn’t say a dickie bird. Just laugh :smiley: