3rd Lane.

M1 southbound tonight just south of Watford Gap at 03:00

Up ahead is a truck in lane 1 being overtaken by a Pall-Ex decker with an MJD and Sons artic behind the decker. The Pall-Ex decker is locked in a willy waving contest with the truck in lane 1 and is taking forever and a day to pass so the MJD driver thinks, “For that reason I’m out,” :wink: into lane 3. The motorway is dead quiet at this point so no big deal and I’m about 100 metres back waiting for them to sort themselves out. MJD isn’t doing much more than the other two so is also taking an age to get past so we have a wall of trailer doors across the motorway and a car is now behind MJD in lane 3.

The car waits for about a minute but nothing is changing so suddenly everything is strobing blue as he hits his lights. Did I mention it was a marked Police vehicle? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: One of those BMW 4x4’s they have.

As soon as the lights went on the truck in lane 1 braked, Pall-Ex shot into lane 1 in front of it and MJD went from lane 3 to lane 1, I imagine while suffering either a minor heart attack or involuntary bowel movement. At which point the Police vehicle killed the lights and [zb]ed off, no doubt much to the relief of the MJD driver.

I’m sure we have a couple of MJD drivers on here and I just wondered if it was one of them and if you are on here what went through your mind when it all went blue and again when the copper just cracked on? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: quality!!! The knob head selfish bozo in lane 1 should of backed off in the first place and let them both go. Bit of common sense goes along way and if he was that bothered about coming off the limiter he could ave made it back up in the road works at Newport pagnell.

FarnboroughBoy11:
:smiley: quality!!! The knob head selfish bozo in lane 1 should of backed off in the first place and let them both go. Bit of common sense goes along way and if he was that bothered about coming off the limiter he could ave made it back up in the road works at Newport pagnell.

I don’t think lane 1 guy likes being passed. I caught up with him easily, after Pall-Ex and MJD had buggered off, and was about half-way past him when he sped up and held me there. Normally I can’t be arsed with that game and just let them get on with it and slip back into lane 1 but I could see there was a slow vehicle a short distance ahead so I just stuck it out for a minute, nothing behind me, and his indicator came on but he continued to creep back alongside me and he got within about a cars length of the slow vehicle then he braked hard. Thing is if he hadn’t sped up I would have been past him long before we got to the slow mover.

Oh, and then I caught up with and passed MJD in the roadworks between 13 and 10. Happy to use lane 3 but sticks to the limit in the roadworks? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Bit of a contradiction but never mind.

i was heading north on the m6 last night…over the hill past corley services approaching the m6 /m42 split,warnings were up on gantrys for accident …slow down…40 mph…i was in lane 2 ready to join the m42…20 mph on the gantry…lanes 3 and 4 closed…red crosses…blue flashing lights ahead…i eased off the limiter down to about 40 and a TNT artic suddenly appears in my o/s mirror passing me in lane 3 well past the limiter and then dives back in front just before it goes to 4 lanes with the outside 2 closed???why?? :open_mouth:

i think i,ll start working nights, seems much more exciting :stuck_out_tongue:

FarnboroughBoy11:

why should the driver in lane 1 back off,hes doing nothing wrong,the two ■■■■■ overtaking should have realised when they were out there going nowhere that it was time for them to knock it off and drop back inside the driver in lane 1 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,

When I come against a truck and I know there is no chance of getting past him because of the limiter ,I just back it off a bit . :slight_smile: , now i will doing 54 ish , big deal :open_mouth: whats the hurry , there is no reason to worry . As long as I get home .

chaversdad:
i think i,ll start working nights, seems much more exciting :stuck_out_tongue:

You don’t know what you’re missing.
Come on and join the show!

I said it last week…It’s the ridiculous British attitude. I AM gonna be there before you syndrome.
You watch the Brits all over the world. A flight gets announced. Whoosh! Brits diving headfirst to the gate. It grinds my gears big time. :imp:

ady1:
why should the driver in lane 1 back off,hes doing nothing wrong,the two [zb] overtaking should have realised when they were out there going nowhere that it was time for them to knock it off and drop back inside the driver in lane 1 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: ,

This subject has been done to death but here goes,…He should have backed off in the interests of common sense, predictably your answer may be “What about the other 2 driver,s common sense” but one of them has to show some professionalism otherwise they are all d heads together, and is it really worth getting into an unecessary trivial confrontational situation as you suggest, the job is crap enough as it is, and we are all in the same boat.

Ah!! MJD most probably driven by an Eastern! As they love using all the lanes! :laughing:

Why the driver in lane 1 should back off? :confused: He ain’t doing nothing its the driver in lane 2 causing mayhem. :imp:

pavaroti:
Why the driver in lane 1 should back off? :confused: He ain’t doing nothing its the driver in lane 2 causing mayhem. :imp:

:bulb:See 3 posts back :bulb: :wink:

FarnboroughBoy11:

They never do back off do they, too many ■■■■■■■■■ on the road now days, :imp:
Just had my truck in for it’s 6 year calibration and it’s harder to pass em now, just tend to knock it back to 88kms and sit behind em. :unamused:

shortfatbaldbloke:
They never do back off do they

Not enough and every now and then you see one of their trucks behind a wrecker with the front missing.

The way I look at it is that we are meant to be a cut above the average motorist and what is essentially racing, does not qualify.
Two cars at 100 mph plus nose to tail, would make most of us mutter “idiots”, yet too many of us are willing to do exactly the same at 54, 55 and 56 mph. :unamused:

Regards,
Nick

robroy:

pavaroti:

:bulb:See 3 posts back :bulb: :wink:

Clearly the guy in Lane 2 has gone quicker at some points to have a) caught him and b) got so close to being past him, so knock a click off and let them past, they’ll soon just be a set of tail lights in the distance.

Only time I’ve matched anyone for any distance, is approaching / on a hill, won’t be knocking my speed down until I’m at the top, and if they’ve ■■■■■■ me off, ie, I’ve pulled out to let them join, then the leave me hanging like a ■■■■■ eventually we will catch that Nissan Micra and I’ll make damned sure you know I was ■■■■■■ off with you.

I think it this thing alone that splits the two camps of drivers.

Why should I back it off?

or

I just drop it off a couple of clicks and let the numpties go.

So in that simple statement, it recognises that the first group are numpties.

I reckon a good name for the second group should be professionals.

I’m really jealous now that my dinky toy only does 52
oooh the shear joy of 56mph

Wheel Nut:
I think it this thing alone that splits the two camps of drivers.

Why should I back it off?

or

I just drop it off a couple of clicks and let the numpties go.

So in that simple statement, it recognises that the first group are numpties.

I reckon a good name for the second group should be professionals.

im sorry wheelnut i dont agree,we all catch that truck in front thinking well fly by,you pull out and you know straight away this isnt going to happen in the next 10/15 miles,you know it,you can see your hardly catching the truck in front,so what do you do,the sensible driver just drops back in behind,waits for the hill[hes running heavy],or the other side of hill and passes him then,the thick ■■■■■■■■■■■■ is the driver who even though he knows it going to take a hour to pass continues to try and pass,the driver in lane one is irelevant ,its the idiot in overtaking truck who should have enough about him to make the sensible decision[drop back in behind].it does sound like we have a awfull lot of drivers who havent got the sense to drop back in and wait a few minutes for the right opertunity to pass,i must pass whatever