3rd Lane.

waynedl:

robroy:

pavaroti:
Why the driver in lane 1 should back off? :confused: He ainā€™t doing nothing its the driver in lane 2 causing mayhem. :imp:

:bulb:See 3 posts back :bulb: :wink:

Clearly the guy in Lane 2 has gone quicker at some points to have a) caught him and b) got so close to being past him,

He had, the guy in lane 1 didnā€™t seem capable of holding a consistent speed, see my second post about him speeding up when I was most of the way past him. I saw Pall-Ex catch him and start to pass him easily before lane 1 guy picked up speed to hold Pall-Ex out there.

Hilarious.

I think I spotted that pal-ex decker on the aproach to Dartford then about 05:00 ish, 06 plate silver foden or some such, freighted to the max and gasping up the hills?

I was overtaking a couple of trucks on a downhill round the M25, hadnā€™t been out for too long with nothing behind at the start and the hill hold retarder kicked in automatically and maintained 60mph for a while and he steams up behind and starts flashing his lights.

Reason being, the truck couldnā€™t pull the weight uphill without dropping off like a mo fo and although he was limited say 1mph faster on the flat, the only way he could overtake people was by rolling on to god knows what speed on the downhills.

Now a) he doesnā€™t have to deal with digi tach flashing overspeeds all the time for VOSA to spank their monkey over as heā€™s analogue, b) donā€™t get stroppy cuz youā€™ve got a crap truck with not enough horses for the job you are on. c) itā€™s 5am in the morning, chill out. d) the speed limit is 60mph on the motorway, not that iā€™m arsed about that one but still. There was a Carna driver knocking about who was limited faster than him as well so dunno wether this added to the hump.

He was doing 50 mph in the roadworks on the approach to Dartford as well, no commitment some people. :unamused:

Sometimes iā€™ll roll past 60mph if it suits me but thatā€™s up to me.

Silver_Surfer:
Hilarious.

I think I spotted that pal-ex decker on the aproach to Dartford then about 05:00 ish, 06 plate silver foden or some such, freighted to the max and gasping up the hills?

Not the same one, this one had no trouble up the hills. Oh and it wasnā€™t silver or a Foden. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Silver_Surfer:
Now a) he doesnā€™t have to deal with digi tach flashing overspeeds all the time for VOSA to spank their monkey over as heā€™s analogue

VOSA donā€™t worry about overspeeds, unless they go on for many minutes which indicates tampering with the, or a defective, speed limiter.

I know, I get like 20 a day which I donā€™t mind as long as they donā€™t go over 60mph but the over speed shows the exact maximum speed you;ve been at if you roll it over 60mph on a down stroke over speed right?

Which in theory they could do you for?

If you say no, I shall apologise to Mr. Pal Ex and let her roll on to 80mph and glory next time. :smiley:

Silver_Surfer:
I know, I get like 20 a day which I donā€™t mind as long as they donā€™t go over 60mph but the over speed shows the exact maximum speed you;ve been at if you roll it over 60mph on a down stroke over speed right?

Which in theory they could do you for?

Not VOSA.

Wheel Nut:
I think it this thing alone that splits the two camps of drivers.

Why should I back it off?

or

I just drop it off a couple of clicks and let the numpties go.

So in that simple statement, it recognises that the first group are numpties.

I reckon a good name for the second group should be professionals.

got to agree. i dont particularly want another wagon next to me for mile after mile with all the lumps and bumps on our so called roads bouncing us sideways so its easier to just back off and let them go. when i am the overtaker i do tend to hold back until i have the advantage. since i caught up i am slightly quicker so passing is just a matter of when to get past

ncooper:

shortfatbaldbloke:
They never do back off do they

Not enough and every now and then you see one of their trucks behind a wrecker with the front missing.

The way I look at it is that we are meant to be a cut above the average motorist and what is essentially racing, does not qualify.
Two cars at 100 mph plus nose to tail, would make most of us mutter ā€œidiotsā€, yet too many of us are willing to do exactly the same at 54, 55 and 56 mph. :unamused:

Regards,
Nick

:laughing:

I dont mind backing off a couple of kā€™s. Done it a number of times today. I get paid by the hour so itā€™s not a problem for me.

bristolron:
I dont mind backing off a couple of kā€™s. Done it a number of times today. I get paid by the hour so itā€™s not a problem for me.

Do vosa give you bonus hours if you slow down?

Coffeeholic:
M1 southbound tonight just south of Watford Gap at 03:00

Up ahead is a truck in lane 1 being overtaken by a Pall-Ex decker with an MJD and Sons artic behind the decker. The Pall-Ex decker is locked in a willy waving contest with the truck in lane 1 and is taking forever and a day to pass so the MJD driver thinks, ā€œFor that reason Iā€™m out,ā€ :wink: into lane 3. The motorway is dead quiet at this point so no big deal and Iā€™m about 100 metres back waiting for them to sort themselves out. MJD isnā€™t doing much more than the other two so is also taking an age to get past so we have a wall of trailer doors across the motorway and a car is now behind MJD in lane 3.

The car waits for about a minute but nothing is changing so suddenly everything is strobing blue as he hits his lights. Did I mention it was a marked Police vehicle? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: One of those BMW 4x4ā€™s they have.

As soon as the lights went on the truck in lane 1 braked, Pall-Ex shot into lane 1 in front of it and MJD went from lane 3 to lane 1, I imagine while suffering either a minor heart attack or involuntary bowel movement. At which point the Police vehicle killed the lights and [zb]ed off, no doubt much to the relief of the MJD driver.

Iā€™m sure we have a couple of MJD drivers on here and I just wondered if it was one of them and if you are on here what went through your mind when it all went blue and again when the copper just cracked on? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Luckily it was coppers. If it was the guy in lane ones gaffer he might of asked him what was he slowing down for !!!

Coffee, by any chance we may like to see a video clip of this indicent if you got one :stuck_out_tongue:

at least the old bill showed a bit of common sense not nicking the mjd driver

andrew.s:

Yep, the motorway was really quiet at that point so no real harm was done.

bristolron:

I doubt it would be much of a problem for your gaffer either, backing off for a few seconds whilst someone slightly faster gets in front wonā€™t cost you a lot of time over a day, and itā€™s far more relaxing that feeling that youā€™ve got to stay in front no matter what.

tachograph:

bristolron:

I doubt it would be much of a problem for your gaffer either, backing off for a few seconds whilst someone slightly faster gets in front wonā€™t cost you a lot of time over a day, and itā€™s far more relaxing that feeling that youā€™ve got to stay in front no matter what.

I agree, i mean what sort of ā– ā– ā– ā–  blocks up lane two for so long and exasperates the driver behind him that he goes into lane three. I mean who is to blame for the driver going into lane three, himself, the other two drivers, the driver in lane two or the driver in lane one?

Coffeeholic:

andrew.s:

No harm indeed.

In fact when I saw you referring to them as ā€œpoliceā€ and ā€œcoppersā€ and not your usual ā€œPigsā€, I knew this story would have a happy ending.

More often than not I run a couple of clicks down from the limiter anyway, then if I come up against a fellow plodder I can whip it upto full whack and feel the joys of supersonic 56ā€™s, and if you wanna get past I will drop off, I do much prefer the opportunity of abit of thigh and belt-ā– ā– ā–  than a mucky trailor :wink:

Coffeeholic:
M1 southbound tonight just south of Watford Gap at 03:00

Up ahead is a truck in lane 1 being overtaken by a Pall-Ex decker with an MJD and Sons artic behind the decker. The Pall-Ex decker is locked in a willy waving contest with the truck in lane 1 and is taking forever and a day to pass so the MJD driver thinks, ā€œFor that reason Iā€™m out,ā€ :wink: into lane 3. The motorway is dead quiet at this point so no big deal and Iā€™m about 100 metres back waiting for them to sort themselves out. MJD isnā€™t doing much more than the other two so is also taking an age to get past so we have a wall of trailer doors across the motorway and a car is now behind MJD in lane 3.

The car waits for about a minute but nothing is changing so suddenly everything is strobing blue as he hits his lights. Did I mention it was a marked Police vehicle? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: One of those BMW 4x4ā€™s they have.

As soon as the lights went on the truck in lane 1 braked, Pall-Ex shot into lane 1 in front of it and MJD went from lane 3 to lane 1, I imagine while suffering either a minor heart attack or involuntary bowel movement. At which point the Police vehicle killed the lights and [zb]ed off, no doubt much to the relief of the MJD driver.

Iā€™m sure we have a couple of MJD drivers on here and I just wondered if it was one of them and if you are on here what went through your mind when it all went blue and again when the copper just cracked on? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

iā€™ve got to say it even at the risk of getting my head bitten off .

being a night driver iā€™ve seen this quite a few times and iā€™m sorry if it offends anyone but i find it quite funny . hell ive even been tempted myself ā€¦ :blush:

most of the ones iā€™ve seen do it it are our irish bretherin and they dont like to hang about do they ?
again sorry if it offends but i cant be arsed reading all the replys so iā€™m giving my honest opinion here .

How it used to beā€¦

Some of you will remember when there were two hills on the then two lane M5 northbound where lorries were banned from the outside lane.
One fine day, I was driving my (horrible) A Series ERF northbound loaded with 20 tons or so of antifreeze from Avonmouth in a lift tank.

As I approached the no overtaking signs, I spotted two Scanias coming up behind me.
Oh dear, I thought, theyā€™ll be ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off.
As I slowed inexorably down towards the 4th gear of my wonderful David Brown gearbox, I checked again, just in time to see one at each side.
The turbo whistle of the 141 is a sound I shall never forget, especially in stereo.
Once past, they each returned to the nearside lane, one behind the other, as if I had never been there.
That must be over 30 years ago and it is as if it was yesterday.

Regards,
Nick.

ANDY1961:

Coffeeholic:

andrew.s:

No harm indeed.

In fact when I saw you referring to them as ā€œpoliceā€ and ā€œcoppersā€ and not your usual ā€œPigsā€, I knew this story would have a happy ending.

I donā€™t use the term pigs very often, I prefer scum, but this one showed a bit of common sense so I cut him some slack. :wink: