35 in a 30

The only time I’ve been caught speeding was in Wallingford, driving on the bypass, went from 50 to 40 to 30…

As I was going from the 40 to 30 there was a slight bend and didn’t see mobile speed camera until too late, got clocked doing 37 in a 30.

I did the drivers awareness course and could choose where to do it, so I chose my home town in Gloucestershire, amazed how many were on the course!!!

lolipop:
Awareness course at best unless you are a habitual offender then it be points or disqualification.

The fact that I came here to ask should give you a hint it’s my first ever speeding offense or any traffic related offense, for that matter (or at least that’s the 1st time I get caught - whichever you prefer…)

Update: Yeah, I was offered a course. Cost is £83 if anyone’s interested but earliest available dates are mid October :open_mouth: It said I have until late December to complete it and not much flexibility on the dates/days, only mid-week available and before noon, course offered via zoom online. Luckily I’m on nights so no further ££ will be lost. Might be dependent on the council of choice, don’t know…Also no new letters with other NIPs so that’s good. I still drive past that camera, now at 25mph just to be on the safe side :blush:

I’d take that as a result - No endorsement, no points on your licence.

As for the course itself, just approach it with an open mind. None of it will be rocket science, and most of it will be propaganda of some sort. Just like a typical DCPC session…

Roymondo:
I’d take that as a result - No endorsement, no points on your licence.

As for the course itself, just approach it with an open mind. None of it will be rocket science, and most of it will be propaganda of some sort. Just like a typical DCPC session…

+1…

Good advice.

If you want to liven up the question and answer section, ask the instructors why nearly all of the 30 and 40 mph repeater signs were taken down.

30mph repeaters have never been required on a “restricted road” - ie a road with street lighting - although they are required if there is no street lighting. 40mph and 50mph repeaters certainly are required.

In all cases if they’ve been removed or “thinned out” to less than 250/350/450 metres apart then the limits are not enforceable.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
30mph repeaters have never been required on a “restricted road” - ie a road with street lighting - although they are required if there is no street lighting. 40mph and 50mph repeaters certainly are required.

In all cases if they’ve been removed or “thinned out” to less than 250/350/450 metres apart then the limits are not enforceable.

Maybe you should tell anti motorist republic of Northamptonshire that.

There’s clearly a scam going on regarding deliberately misleading drivers into a speeding offence situation.Why wouldn’t they want to maximise repeater signage whether on lit or unlit roads.Especially on previously or what would appear to be NSL sections of road.It’s all about road safety right.

maps.app.goo.gl/WhZxRBTHsVjqZT5NA

Roymondo:

Which is…

Almost word for word the reply we received when I asked the question.

The response from soccermum94 was ‘surely it’s easier to just put little reminders up? I don’t know what 250 metres looks like’ to a small ripple of applause.

yourhavingalarf:

Roymondo:

Which is…

The response from soccermum94 was ‘surely it’s easier to just put little reminders up? I don’t know what 250 metres looks like’ to a small ripple of applause.

250 metres is more than far enough to defeat the object of ‘repeater’ signs.Let alone obviously not putting them where required at all
It’s like traffic light cameras.If the technology exists to flash a camera at anyone crossing the lights after they’ve changed then it could also be used to hold the light at green until the vehicle has cleared the junction.
They are clearly out to deliberately and needlessly criminalise drivers.

yourhavingalarf:

Roymondo:

Which is…

"It's a limit, not a target!"

In other words, if you’re not sure, why not just assume the lower limit until you ARE sure? Adds seconds to your journey time…

I wouldn’t…

Have to assume any speed limits if they were posted on lamp posts would I.

Stop bailing out a sinking ship or tell me why the signs were taken down?

Even CF has got the point.

peterm:
That’s exactly how I got done. 1972 near Sevenoaks, peeing down, road works with crap everywhere and in a line of traffic. Didn’t see a 30 sign (probably wasn’t there) and got pulled out of a line of cars.
I’m still bitter and twisted about it now. :wink:

This is a different ball game of previous and/ or clearly NSL class roads with deliberately inappropriate 30 or 40 limits plastered on them with equally deliberately witheld repeating speed limit information.Wirhout that information the brain rightly just flatly refuses to reconcile or recognise the limit v the road conditions.The level of disbelief is bad enough even with clear signage.

I have

no idea which signs were allegedly taken down, or where, so cannot offer any view on why that might have been done. CF has his usual non-grasp on reality so can be ignored for fear of provoking yet another wibble-fest of illogical waffle from that callsign.

Roymondo:
In other words, if you’re not sure, why not just assume the lower limit until you ARE sure? Adds seconds to your journey time…

That obviously means 20 mph everywhere unless an NSL sign and repeaters say otherwise.They obviously aren’t keen on advertising any specific limit with precisely that intention to grind the road system to a halt.

Roymondo:
I have

no idea which signs were allegedly taken down, or where, so cannot offer any view on why that might have been done. CF has his usual non-grasp on reality so can be ignored for fear of provoking yet another wibble-fest of illogical waffle from that callsign.

It’s not illogical to call for a clear indication and repeated reminders of clearly otherwise illogical limits.Unless it’s all about deliberately criminalising otherwise innocent drivers by creating doubt and confusion regarding limits.

What’s the point of speed signs anyway if most of them are obscured fully or partially (the left side number…) by shrub/branches

yourhavingalarf:
I wouldn’t…

Franglais:

yourhavingalarf:
I wouldn’t…

Lamp posts don’t denote the speed limit.They just light the street or motorway or dual carriageway with limits varying from 20mph to NSL.Signage denotes the speed limit obviously including motorway variable limits.
Insufficient signage is/should be fair grounds for mitigation and defence.

Carryfast:

Roymondo:

That obviously means 20 mph everywhere unless an NSL sign and repeaters say otherwise.They obviously aren’t keen on advertising any specific limit with precisely that intention to grind the road system to a halt.

Or look down a side road? For instance if you’re on a 30mph road but aren’t sure, have a look at a side road. If there’s no signs there’s no speed limit change therefore you know you’re in a 30 as a side road is only ever going to stay at 30 or more than likely nowadays drop to 20, in which case there will be a sign that says 20 to inform of the change in limit.

Isnt this like basic knowledge?

yourhavingalarf:
I wouldn’t…

It’s been done to reduce cluttering, ordered by the DfT a couple of year ago.

If you wish to waste your life there’s about a million pages listing specifications of signs, where to be used, where not be used etc etc (generally relevant but also including how bridges are measured and signed) here.

gov.uk/government/publicati … gns-manual

In short the approach now is “less is more” but signs are in situ, so people need to pay attention rather than rely on being told every 20 metres what the limit is.