28 day tacho rule digi card

Not sure if this is in the right place,

Regards the 28 day tacho rule on a digi card, when you get the card down loaded, how do you show the records that have just been down loaded? Do you need to print off a receipt before its done?

Neil

The records are copied from the card when you download them, not removed. You can still print them off (or download them again) later, up until the point where they get overwritten (the card has enough storage space for at least 21 days’ worth of records; when the card fills up, it starts overwriting starting from the oldest records).

neil_b:
Not sure if this is in the right place,

Regards the 28 day tacho rule on a digi card, when you get the card down loaded, how do you show the records that have just been down loaded? Do you need to print off a receipt before its done?

Neil

Sorry but I don’t really understand the question, when you download from the driver card you should be able to view the downloaded details on appropriate computer software, you don’t need to do anything else.

You can just carry on using the card as usual, the data on the card will be automatically overwritten when the memory chip on the card is full.

MrFlibble:
The records are copied from the card when you download them, not removed. You can still print them off (or download them again) later, up until the point where they get overwritten (the card has enough storage space for at least 21 days’ worth of records; when the card fills up, it starts overwriting starting from the oldest records).

Hope you don’t mind me pointing out your typo but the card is designed to hold a minimum of 28 days records, for many of us it would actually hold several months records.

I wasn’t sure whether it was correct, but the principle is the same.

Think a lot of people get confused with downloading, they think the data is removed from the card and put on the companys PC or whatever.

When my card broke my boss said to me, when was this last downloaded, maybe if it hasnt been downloaded recently its all clogged up with to much data causing it not to work.

Supposed to store it for a minimum of is it 21 or 28 days, i do mostly trunking with few changes in mode, ive got records going back to Oct 2006 still on the card. It must have at least a few hundred days stored on it.

neil_b:

No print out needed. All you need to do is produce the card.

Kenny1975:
Supposed to store it for a minimum of is it 21 or 28 days, i do mostly trunking with few changes in mode, ive got records going back to Oct 2006 still on the card. It must have at least a few hundred days stored on it.

28 days, as tachograph said. However, this is the minimum, so if you’ve spent those 28 days continually switching between modes every single minute for maximum-length days, then it might start overwriting at the 28-day mark. In practice, as you said, it’s likely to keep hundreds of days’ worth of records.

Thanks for all the replys, i know now i just keep doing what i have been doing all along.

Neil

One question tho.

I drive different trucks a lot so a mixture of digital and analogue. When i am driving an analogue truck was told i had to keep print outs of the digital tacho shifts incase i got pulled by the police and they couldn’t download the card.

Is this true or not ?

No , if the cops can’t look at the card it is there problem , not yours …It is upto them to carry the equipment to look at cards , if they can’t look at the card due to an equipment fault , there tough ■■■■ .

Kenny1975:
Is this true or not ?

Not.

As others have said numerous times on various threads on this subject, there is no requirement in any situation to print out or carry print outs from a digital tachograph with only a couple of exceptions related to manual entries or lost/faulty cards. On a normal shift where your card works fine and you don’t need to make manual entries there is no need to print anything out. This is still true regardless of what combination of analogue/digital trucks you drive and regardless of if you work for the same company every day or a different one every day of the week. If you get stopped for a check it is not your problem if vosa or the police can’t read the card, it is theirs.

Paul

IF you are doing mixed work with drivers card one day and tachograph
the next you must carry a print out with you,and belive me in the EU
partner countrys some members will fine you for non-complience

Why would you need a printout …You have the card , all they have to do is look at it … Thats sounds more like an excuse for “we haven’t got the equipment”

you will find that is laid down ,when you are doing
tachograph work and have been driveing a lorry
with card you must do a print out,as it is your responsibility
to provide a record,and not the police or vosa,this is why you
must also carry enough spare paperrolls to ensure that no
problems as regards checking your driveing records,

brit pete:
IF you are doing mixed work with drivers card one day and tachograph
the next you must carry a print out with you,and belive me in the EU
partner countrys some members will fine you for non-complience

Wrong.

See this link which makes it quite obvious that whilst you should carry any printout you have made for the purposes of making notes or manual entries that you don’t need to carry one for every shift.

3.11 Under the new EU drivers’ hours rules(10), there are new requirements relating to the information that drivers must be able to produce whenever an inspecting officer so requests (e.g. at a roadside check):

drivers using vehicles fitted with analogue tachographs must be able to produce:

• record sheets for the current week and those used by the driver in the previous 15 days,
  • their digital tachograph Driver Card (if the driver holds one), and,
  • any manual record and printout made during the same period, and,

drivers driving vehicles fitted with digital tachographs must be able to produce:

• their digital tachograph Driver Card
  • any manual record and printout made during the current week and the previous 15 days, and,
  • any analogue tachograph record sheets for the same period (i.e. covering occasions where the driver drove an analogue tachograph equipped vehicle).

3.12 The new requirements described in paragraph 3.11 above came into force from 1st May 2006, but from 1st January 2008, the time period will be extended to include the current day and the previous 28 days(11) (in other words, the driver will have to have about him 29 days’ worth of records, in one form or another).

Paul

brit pete:
it is your responsibility to provide a record,and not the police or vosa

That is true but your card is the record you need to provide. If they can’t read it, that is their problem not yours. See my post above which confirms this.

Paul

brit pete:
you will find that is laid down ,when you are doing
tachograph work and have been driveing a lorry
with card you must do a print out,as it is your responsibility
to provide a record,and not the police or vosa,this is why you
must also carry enough spare paperrolls to ensure that no
problems as regards checking your driveing records,

As others have said Pete you are wrong. You don’t need to carry any printouts or uneccesarily take them. Thats why they say you must carry a spare roll so that you can print off if they require you to. Its something of an anomally but if you are driving a analouge when stopped you don’t need a roll or a printout but thats how it is.

TRY telling that to the belgian traffic control
why because they will fine you for not haveing
a printout,why because they do not have
enough machines and they have and are still
doing people, the reason they do you is that when driveing
a truck with a drivers card you are able to supply a printout
where as when driveinga normal tachograph truck you can
not, we here in germany have also to carry a print out with us
when have driven first a drivers card truck and then drive a
normal truck with tachograph,

brit pete:
TRY telling that to the belgian traffic control

I’ll give it a go if i ever go over, thanks Pete !!