26% pay increase

Fair play…

To 'em.

falkirkherald.co.uk/news/pe … se-4069107

That’s not the first victory I’ve read about in the last few months for unionised drivers, maybe unions aren’t such a bad idea after all (for some folk).

Thats a massive rise.I dont know they managed that

Sploom:

They managed it by having a pair of balls and a backbone and sticking together.
Just goes to prove what the rest of us could achieve and how much sh we would no longer have to put up with if there was enough guys around us in the job like those guys eh? :bulb:
But instead we just have to keep doing our OWN thing indivudually to deal with all the b/s. :unamused:

Zac_A:
That’s not the first victory I’ve read about in the last few months for unionised drivers, maybe unions aren’t such a bad idea after all (for some folk).

Yep, but not a popular opinion with many on here…
So…

youtu.be/9vQaVIoEjOM

Sploom:

The article does mention that it gives them parity with other UK sites; which in other words means that the employers have been screwing them by using the old logic that there are plenty of drivers in a low-paid area so they can get away with it. East Midlands was notorious for that when I lived up there.

However, it might work well for the likes of own account fuel tanker drivers who can fairly easily stop not only their job but everyone else’s by withdrawing their labour; we’ve seen that before. Not so sure about its effectiveness in the hire and reward sector. Whilst I agree with Robroy that unionised drivers generally get a better pay deal, it’s frequently offset by them working for the kind of over-regulated corporate companies which many of us would happily take a drop in pay to avoid.

Yes,thats right.In my last job we had a union but all I ever heard from drivers was that they are going to come out of the union because the union is no good and so on.But every time someone left,it left the rest of us in a weaker position and played right into the companies hands

Zac_A:

Shh.

Unions are bad remember.

The government says so.

:wink:

They’re not perfect and some of the complaints were justified,but I would always be in the union if there was one.Its my default position

What was I thinking… I meant to post this :laughing:
Earlier today in sunny Saltburn-by-the-Sea, one of Queen Vic’s favourite holiday towns

Very nice Zac - someone had time on their hands -

Unite says that the strike concerns 40 tanker drivers transporting fuel under the Phillips 66 contract that supplies fuel to Jet Garages. The truck drivers are employed by JW Suckling and Hoyer Gas and Petroleum Logistics Ltd.
The trade union explains that the dispute is a result of the drivers being paid £5 an hour less than their counterparts employed by other hauliers on the same contract, while also having comparatively poorer terms and conditions.
Read more at: trans.info/en/tanker-drivers-strike-331358
So no wonder they got a big rise

robroy:
Yep, but not a popular opinion with many on here…
So…

youtu.be/9vQaVIoEjOM

Good God! Rap? I figured you’d be more inclined to this kind of tune
youtube.com/watch?v=q31WY0Aobro

OwenMoney:

First time I saw one of these beach artworks I thought it was photoshopped because there were no footmarks near the picture, but that picture I’ve posted was taken by my son and he said close up you could see where the artist had walked

Zac_A:

OwenMoney:

First time I saw one of these beach artworks I thought it was photoshopped because there were no footmarks near the picture, but that picture I’ve posted was taken by my son and he said close up you could see where the artist had walked

The artist certainly has it correct. The Tories are no friends of the workers.

Sploom:

Same way we did in my last company - people started leaving as others paid more and the company figured losing workforce was bad and gave us a 30% rise plus bonuses…no unions or strikes involve. They withdrew their labour without some jumped up little scroat union rep trying to claim they did it.

Company in this case looked at what they’d been paying this depot vs others, figured that having drivers leave for other companies would cause them hassle, sat around watching the union rep get all worked up and they gave the workers the same as everyone else. Not exactly a pay rise, just parity since they’d been getting screwed.

Union rep gets to make big song & dance, company doesn’t really lose out. Wouldn’t be surprised if the whole thing was worked out in the first place behind the scenes. Half the union reps are seriously pally with management and the other half seem to be jumped up little useless loudmouth scroats (like the one at our place who’s ignored by 90% of the workforce).

Zac_A:
Earlier today in sunny Saltburn-by-the-Sea, one of Queen Vic’s favourite holiday towns

I wonder how many see the film reference?
Just looked up the date: 1969 !

Franglais:

Zac_A:

I wonder how many see the film reference?
Just looked up the date: 1969 !

Wow Kes, that brings back memories.
I remember reading and reviewing the book for a combined O level English and Social History project at school, it was because of that book I passed it…good reading.
I also watched the film afterwards with Colin Welland (Well.I watched it on my own,.Colin Welland was in it :smiley: )
This is Vic & Bob’s take on it. :smiley:

youtu.be/LtTIQ0ySej4

Haven’t seen that film for… Jeez, probably not since the 1980s. Might have to introduce the kids to it as a “classic movie”. I bet it probably carries a warning about “attitudes of the time” :unamused: Even the Tom and Jerry DVD I once got them carried that “warning”

Zac_A:
Haven’t seen that film for… Jeez, probably not since the 1980s. Might have to introduce the kids to it as a “classic movie”. I bet it probably carries a warning about “attitudes of the time” :unamused: Even the Tom and Jerry DVD I once got them carried that “warning”

I showed one of my 20+ year old kids part of an old episode of ‘Love thy neighbour’ on You tube…she just could not believe it. :smiley:
Different times.

robroy:
I showed one of my 20+ year old kids part of an old episode of ‘Love thy neighbour’ on You tube…she just could not believe it. :smiley:
Different times.

Yeah, I’ve done the same with my 15 year old, just to show him the world hasn’t always been so “woke” :laughing: