25 Years

TC:
Amen to that Trucky!

its a shame we all know whats best for our industry, even us that have only worked in it for a short time.

In truth if we all listen to the likes of you, Mal, KW et all, we would all learn more then anyone can teach us!

I KNOW DONE TWENTY ALL OVER LOST LICENCE FOR A WHILE BUT NOW GET FIFTY GRAND A YEAR BUT I STILL WOULD RATHER BE DRIVING

OLD BUGGERS! :smiley:

Well i guess it’s coming up 30 years now since this thread started KW.

dieseldog6:
Well i guess it’s coming up 30 years now since this thread started KW.

Very true,where has the time gone?

Another old git here, passed my class 3 in 1973 and got my HGV 1 in 1975…not driven trucks now for 4yrs though…I never thought I could come off the road…but now when I am asked what time I will be home I now know within 5 minutes :smiley:

I just realised the other day that I have been on the road now for 25 Years.
I passed my Class One on 2nd November 1979.

I guess I’ve done what I set out to do,ever since I was knee-high to a grasshopper I’d wanted to be a truck driver and I’ve travelled all over Western and Eastern Europe and part of Scandinavia.
How much longer I’ll do it I’m not sure,the hassle,aggression and volume of traffic on the roads nowadays has taken the enjoyment out of the job,especially when I have to drive in the UK,which unfortunately is almost every week now.

The eqipment however has come a long way during those 25 Years,the power,comfort of cabs and technological advancements were just a glint in the eye 25 Years ago.

Who knows what the future will bring.
(but if anyone does know,can you mail me next weeks winning lottery numbers :wink: )

Well done to a true professional! I’ve just got the 4 years under my belt, hopefully in another 20 it will all be automated and I can sit there with my feet up as caretaker :laughing: I know what you mean about the rising aggresion levels (from car AND lorry drivers) plus congestion in this country means the stress goes up a notch and ruins a nice drive in the country.

Well done for 25 years…the gold watch is on its way…i dont want to brag(honest) but having notched up over 40 years in the transport industry i have received nothing…ive had a few pats on the back over the years and as most will know ive been there got the t shirt…and sand in my shoes…i am an original cola cowboy…but i still love this industry and have seen many changes over the years like yourself…the only thing that bugs me now is heavy traffic…and theres too much of that for my liking…and it looks like it isnt going to get any better…no one understands this industry better than the guy behind the wheel…but who takes notice of us…no one…thats why we should all stick together…be one union and look after ourselves…
have a nice day
trucky

happy anniversary KW, i get my 25 years in sept next year, youre right, the changes in the motors and the job have been quite a lot, but even more so for trucky!

Amen to that Trucky!

its a shame we all know whats best for our industry, even us that have only worked in it for a short time.

In truth if we all listen to the likes of you, Mal, KW et all, we would all learn more then anyone can teach us!

OLD BUGGERS! :smiley:

well done that man,wot about some stories and pics of you and your travels over the past 25years mate.i’m sure there are 1 or 2 funny ones there somewhere. :question:

Well :exclamation: Well :exclamation: Congratulations :slight_smile:

I took and passed my test when I was 21 in 1975, so that gives me 29 years, When I moved here I swore I would not drive a truck again, but finances caused otherwise.
I meet old geysers here who are over 70 and still driving, … I will retire at 65 or earlier :slight_smile:

Before you call me ‘An Old Git’ I look and feel in my 30’s, ask Kate :question: She’s 35 :laughing:

<<…i dont want to brag(honest) but having notched up over 40 years in the transport industry>>

When I saw what Truckyboy wrote I thought thank goodness, I’m not the oldest old git here but then thought, hang on a minute, I started in 1963 and that’s 41 years! Enjoy it while you can youngsters, time really does fly.

I’ve enjoyed almost every minute of it but am happy to be retired now. I don’t envy all the rush rush hassle and the traffic. Warm, comfy easy to drive motors are all very well but I do miss the old days.

I never took a test in my life except the car test in '63 and walked straight into a job driving a truck the same day. Taught myself to drive artics and then drawbars, never had a lesson. Because I ran a small haulage business with my brother before all that CPC nonsense came in they gave me an international one for free at the start. I count myself lucky and have travelled the world, often in a truck. Now I’m digging holes in my landscape with my mini-digger, now that’s fun, and when I’ve had enough for the day, usually about an hour, I go and do something else :smiley: .

Now come on there must be someone older. One of those old BRS drivers I used to see trundling up Archway with greatcoat, muffler, and flat hat pulled down over the eyes perhaps? :slight_smile:

Salut, David.

It’s greta when you blokes post Dave, makes me feel like a youngster! :laughing: Those mini diggers are mad aint they, I drove a couple of them and theyre crazy, compared with a cat 215.

I was just thinking about some blokes I knew when I first started, theyd have been 20+ years in the job and now theyd be over 70. There was one bloke who was still driving an artic, sheeted loads, and was close to retirement Lew his name was. Had worked in the steam lorries! I hated sheeting them high loads up in a wind at 25 never mind 65, im amazed how he did it! :laughing:

I work with a guy called Harley and he’s still delivering coal to the local power plant everyday and is 81 years old…he told me if he stops it will kill him…so he’s just going to keep on trucking as long as he can.

Bully

To Pat hasler…you have joined the ranks of the old git syndrome…welcome matey…and i must congratulate Harley who is still at it at the young age of 81, good luck to him…i bet he has some great stories to tell and i would be one of the first to sit and listen…i have often thought of writing a sort of life history of my life in transport, not that it hasnt already been done by others…i may get round to it one day, but i may have to go to the memory bank to help me get the facts right…first truck i ever got into was a Maudsley…(wooden cab)…ill let you know when ive done it…and as someone wrote earlier…Highgate Hill…the only route north in those days…past the womens prison…saw some sights then…oh well better go…
have a nice day

I was chatting to a bloke at Quaker Southall the other day who’s 72 & still driving - admittadly only 3 days a week, but if I’m that good at that age, I’ll be quite happy. Congratulations to both of you. KW, I was 4 when you started, Spardo, you started driving 11 years before I was born. Pat, I was just cracking my first birthday when you began. Once again, congratulations all. Hope I’m around that long :wink: .

Some of the posts on this thread really make me feel great. Passed my test in 1972, so Im still a youngster compared to some :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Ive tried loads of different jobs in my time - delivering bagged coal to houses, chemicals in tanks and drums, to name a couple, but come next Monday Im going back to the 2nd firm I worked for after leaving the Army. The vehicles they run now are a bit more modern, and the working conditions have improved (no roping and sheeting now :laughing: ), but the thing that swayed me was when I was told the weekly hours are down to 48 - or less, and no week-end work :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Trev PS. Ill need to change my signature next week, as I`ll no longer be driving an ERF :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I hope I’m still up for it in 20 or 30 yrs time, I would love to hear some tales from the old timers, obviously for a different thread. Congratulations guys, you can now have your lifetime achievement award :smiley:

Take it easy out there

Allrighty

I could write a book of volumes about my mostly humorous adventures :exclamation: 30% of the tales would be too embarrasing to put on here :blush:
When I worked at Tesco and Concorde Roadshows the guy’s would sit arouns for hours just listening to my tales and rolling laughter could be heard echoing around the buildings.

I ever I had time I would love to put pen to paper :laughing:

AND I’M NOT AN ‘OLD GIT’ :angry:

well done keith :sunglasses:
heres to the next 25 :smiley:
jon