25 years on

And I’m no longer a haulage contractor or even an Owner Driver.
The last one has gone today. To much hassle for too little reward Is the reason for me :cry:

Sorry to hear that. Doesn’t seem much has changed since I got out because of too much effort for the rewards 4 years ago after 18 or so years. Hope things work out for you.

Coffeeholic:
Sorry to hear that. Doesn’t seem much has changed since I got out because of too much effort for the rewards 4 years ago after 18 or so years. Hope things work out for you.

Thanks for that
I jumped rather than being pushed, I really sold up nearly 2 and a half years ago, keeping one more for sentimentality rather than anything else, sort of a weaning off process. I would be lieing if I said I won’t miss it, but the odd shift driving for mates will probably do, and there’s plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied and hopefully a roof over my head.

Commiserations on you havimg been forced to make that decision RM. Jumping before being pushed is the lesser of two evils, and probably a wise decision. But that is small consolation for 25 years of effort.All that I can do is to wish you well for the future.Good Luck.

Sorry to hear that RM, but maybe you aren’t. Most guys i know that had their own trucks in the 80’s don’t miss it all.

I let my O licence of 10 years go last year :frowning:

best of luck renaultman, enjoy your worry free new existance, six months from now you may well wonder why you didn’t get out earlier but after such a long time its hard letting go aint it, all the best feller, enjoy

Thanks all. For all your good wishes.
Don’t worry there’s plenty to do, in front of me :laughing:

On a side note. If anyone knows of anyone looking for a really tidy 61 cu yd Freuhauf triaxle tipping trailer TASCC compliant I’ve got one for sale. It’s an old one, a 1995 but has done very little work and would easily pass for a mid 2000s one.

maybe a copy of this thread too ant and dec at no 10 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

renaultman:
On a side note. If anyone knows of anyone looking for a really tidy 61 cu yd Freuhauf triaxle tipping trailer TASCC compliant I’ve got one for sale. It’s an old one, a 1995 but has done very little work and would easily pass for a mid 2000s one.

I would love it if i could get the work to go with it, Got me thinking now :laughing:

renaultman:

I might have been interested if you had said a couple of months ago…

Best of luck for the future.

Paul

There are more and more of us “ex’s” on here daily - and basically we all tell the same story, too much effort and outlay for such little reward.

Good luck bro :slight_smile:

Glad you got out in time RM, my boss has been running the fleet down, we had 11 a few years back, we’ve got 4 now and he won’t be buying another so as those die so will the firm. Just too much grief just to turn money over.

repton:

renaultman:

I might have been interested if you had said a couple of months ago…

Best of luck for the future.

Paul

It’s sold thanks :smiley:

Glad you got out in time RM, my boss has been running the fleet down, we had 11 a few years back, we’ve got 4 now and he won’t be buying another so as those die so will the firm. Just too much grief just to turn money over.

Was on about that to someone last night. When we 1st started it was nearly all ODs and small hauliers, now there are less and less. Not sure it’s very good though :frowning:

sorry to hear this RM but at least you can be proud that you lasted 25 years in a very difficult industry…I have had my own motor about the same sort of time as you and I can understand why you have finally finished , it gets more difficult by the day to earn decent living…good luck to you in whatever you do in the future .

My dad has said in the past that the best decision he made was to not become an OD. After 40+ years of driving trucks, he still loves it.

Good luck for the future :slight_smile:

renaultman:
Was on about that to someone last night. When we 1st started it was nearly all ODs and small hauliers, now there are less and less. Not sure it’s very good though :frowning:

Round here it is still pretty much all ODs and small hauliers as far as I can tell. Within about 10-15 miles of me there are the likes of Walkers, Paul Headley, Derek Shields, Brent Halder, Keith Newton, Sykes Brothers, N Steels, J R Hood, Chris Wilson and no doubt others that I can’t remember off the top of my head. None of them have more than about 8 or 10 wagons on bulk work.

Paul

C-Kay i must admit you speak good english for a turners driver. :laughing: :laughing: good luck with the job, the experience, and the blogs…very interesting…

just to say good luck rm in what you do in the future :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

truckyboy:
C-Kay i must admit you speak good english for a turners driver. :laughing: :laughing: good luck with the job, the experience, and the blogs…very interesting…

Haha, thanks.

renaultman:
And I’m no longer a haulage contractor or even an Owner Driver.
The last one has gone today. To much hassle for too little reward Is the reason for me :cry:

not going to say i’m sorry to hear that, as i know full well you’d have given it plenty of thought and will be glad to see the back of it, same as the rest of us were.
strange thing this truck driving though mate, when i sold up i honestly thought i’d never drive a wagon again but here i am doing a fulltime tramping job and loving every minute of it, not least because my only worry (if you can call it that) is getting the job done, no phone ringing, no calls to make, no paper work to catch up on and no chancers doing their best not to pay you etc etc.
good luck