25 years on

paul b:

renaultman:
And I’m no longer a haulage contractor or even an Owner Driver.
The last one has gone today. To much hassle for too little reward Is the reason for me :cry:

not going to say i’m sorry to hear that, as i know full well you’d have given it plenty of thought and will be glad to see the back of it, same as the rest of us were.
strange thing this truck driving though mate, when i sold up i honestly thought i’d never drive a wagon again but here i am doing a fulltime tramping job and loving every minute of it, not least because my only worry (if you can call it that) is getting the job done, no phone ringing, no calls to make, no paper work to catch up on and no chancers doing their best not to pay you etc etc.
good luck

Hopefully I’m going to do something similar
Just the odd shift for Mates. I admit to a lump in my throat when I was loading the last load. We have had a truck in the Family for all of my life and my Grandfather and Great Uncle started up with them before the industry was Nationalised. As the weekend has gone on I keep expecting to start to panic, but so far I’m just relaxed and enjoying looking forward to the week.

I thought i would pitch in with a positive note, just incase anyone thinks it is all doom and gloom, i have been an O/D for 4 years now, and am still loving it, but i have been lucky with the work i do, and it has enabled me and my family to live comfotably.

Dont get me wrong, i have struggled, and many times you question your sanity, but the good times have definatley outnumbered the bad times.

jimmy2loads:
I thought i would pitch in with a positive note, just incase anyone thinks it is all doom and gloom, i have been an O/D for 4 years now, and am still loving it, but i have been lucky with the work i do, and it has enabled me and my family to live comfotably.

Dont get me wrong, i have struggled, and many times you question your sanity, but the good times have definatley outnumbered the bad times.

Well done
I didn’t really want to cause doom and gloom. In 25 years I’ve been through good times and bad times, consider myself lucky to have worked for some really good companies and some true Gentlemen and Ladies. My Son is 18 and I hardly saw him grow up, my Daughter’s 10 and since I started the wind down 2 years ago have managed to be able to spend some real quality time with her and do a few things I once would only dream of.
I certainly don’t want to put anyone off. Paul (Repton) I know for sure, and many others have a good business plan and their heads screwed on and will make a good living (as I did) I consider myself lucky enough to be in a position that I am able to get out at a time when the job isn’t very good and I have quite frankly lost interest and motivation. As a haulier friend once said I’m suffering from ‘NFI’
This is IMO a good time to get a foot on the ladder if anyone did want to start up as Trucks and Trailers are cheap, but I would say you need a really good war chest and to quote AC/DC the biggest balls of them all.
Sorry for sounding negative, everything’s cyclic. As you get older the bad times seem to last longer than the good times, as winter always seems longer than summer, but just like the seasons the good times will always come again. Just be sure you have your shorts and sunglasses in place to take full advantage.
I will do my best to help and encourage anyone who wants a go, who O believe has a sensible plan and attitude and try to steer those that don’t on a more appropriate course.

good luck feller with whatever turns up
i should imagine if i headed up 168 and A19 at 6am like we used to do most mornings i wouldnt recognise anyone now
seems criminal when you think of all the OD’s there used to be

tbh i dont think i could manage an early start to see, now sometimes struggle for 8 :smiley:

jonnieboy:
good luck feller with whatever turns up
i should imagine if i headed up 168 and A19 at 6am like we used to do most mornings i wouldnt recognise anyone now
seems criminal when you think of all the OD’s there used to be

tbh i dont think i could manage an early start to see, now sometimes struggle for 8 :smiley:

Great isn’t it, we used to be in Cheshire or Liverpool at 6AM some days :unamused: