25 years on

If you had told me 25 years ago that today I would be sat in front of a screen really enjoying what is written on this section of this website I would have called you a liar,I am really enjoying the Busby Davis thread, the RD thread ,Truckerash thread etc. If i had thought 25 years ago when I was working for a well known Poole haulier (sadly now gone) that my 2 Barcelona,s a week would be impossible ,but we did it ,ship out Sunday ,clear La Junquera Tuesday ,tip ,reload ,clear Zona Franca ,up to Bordeaux change trailers repeat process and back up to Cherbourg for Friday night or Saturday morning . Who said we ran bent !!

I wonder if the present generation will look back in 2033 with fondness at what they did in 2008. Or maybe it was just that early era in continental road transport that will stand out? Although there were a lot of us doing it 60’s thru 90’s, a lot of people remembering stuff. :wink:

I dont think the job will be the same in 25 years time, as already the trucks are limited, there is no fiddle or extra hours to borrow, the fuel consumption is set by computer, the planning is done by computer.

The planners tell the drivers what time to start, what time to finish and where & when they will have their break.

Even the trucks are so reliable that they are serviced once a year. If they can get a man on the moon from Hydrabad, they wont need a driver in 2033 except to feed the monkey :stuck_out_tongue:

Agree with you 100% this site is fantastic,I think years ago were the golden years of trucking it will never be as good as regards the comradeship that we enjoyed in years gone bye.Today no body even gives you a thanks when you give way to them,it will never get better,Its so nice to look on here and take yourself back to them days,thanks to everyone for your memories.

I must agree that it’s a superb site for reminders of how good the job must have been for all the good memories that we can muster. All the people that touched our lives in some way still live in our memory, wether still alive or not.
25 years ago though I was 40 and even then I thought the best years were in the past. In 25 years time I don’t think there will be much to look back on with any sentiment.

For they will live on in trucking history those early pioneers who without
their fortitude commitment and sense of humour there would be no history
to tell so read and weep you young pretender’s as the like’s of these men
will never be seen again. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

TIR Original:
I must agree that it’s a superb site for reminders of how good the job must have been for all the good memories that we can muster. All the people that touched our lives in some way still live in our memory, wether still alive or not.
25 years ago though I was 40 and even then I thought the best years were in the past. In 25 years time I don’t think there will be much to look back on with any sentiment.

Well said TIR, when I was 40 (also 25 years ago) I gave up driving because I thought I was too old to leave it any longer to get into management. Didn’t dream then that 11 years further on from that I would return to the road. :slight_smile:

CRACK ON TO MACON:
For they will live on in trucking history those early pioneers who without
their fortitude commitment and sense of humour there would be no history
to tell so read and weep you young pretender’s as the like’s of these men
will never be seen again. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

That about says it all,well done puting it so nicely in them words. :smiley: :smiley:

You young lads ha, ha, ha, talking about 25 years ago, how about 45 years ago, some of the digs were disgusting, I made two boxes put them on the seats so I could put a board and a home made mattress and slept like that, rather than go in some of the digs. Once in Southend, the police doe a raid on the lorry park and all of the vehicles without a bed a certain distance from the steering wheel had their keys taken away, and told to go into a hotel, and get some sleep, and pick up their keys at midday at the police station. Some were trying to hot wire, but others like me had a spare set, we done our deliveries, then pick up our keys. Sandman Norman

Nice one norman made me laugh. 25 years ago i had just started out in this game so every day was a learning curve and still is to a certain extent.
I dont think any of us would have thought that we would be sitting at home corresponing with other drivers all over the world on a keyboard and screen.

aidey:
Nice one norman made me laugh. 25 years ago i had just started out in this game so every day was a learning curve and still is to a certain extent.
I dont think any of us would have thought that we would be sitting at home corresponing with other drivers all over the world on a keyboard and screen.

Yes in the year when we won the world cup, I was on my way to Glasgow with Chickens, I and a few lorries go stuck on shap in the snow, I had a fold up bed, camping equipment, and some food, some of the ten drivers came into the container and brought anything eatable and we cooked up a feast, played cards, and slept there, we was there for 32 hours, we was just cooking up breakfast, when were heard a bang on the rear doors, it was a policeman who had battled through the snow to see if we were ok , and to tell us the road would be cleared in two hours. He said he must be getting back, I said get some brains, wait until the road is clear and have some grub.

Norman Ingram:
You young lads ha, ha, ha, talking about 25 years ago, how about 45 years ago, some of the digs were disgusting, I made two boxes put them on the seats so I could put a board and a home made mattress and slept like that, rather than go in some of the digs. Once in Southend, the police doe a raid on the lorry park and all of the vehicles without a bed a certain distance from the steering wheel had their keys taken away, and told to go into a hotel, and get some sleep, and pick up their keys at midday at the police station. Some were trying to hot wire, but others like me had a spare set, we done our deliveries, then pick up our keys. Sandman Norman

Oh Happy days, about that time I was on 16 shillings (80P) night out money and lived well on it. 7/6d (37.5p) bought you evening meal bed and breakfast at Dirty Daisy’s on The Govan Toll, Paisley Road, Glasgow, you parked on Admiral St (not forgetting to pay your security dues to the litlle ragamuffins who guarded your lorry) Daisy would give you a 2/6d (12.5p) car park ticket. Why was it called Dirty Daisy’s ? well to give you a clue the wall paper in the bedroom was nailed on with 6" nails. Any one remember Daisy ? Bolton Roadways used to stay there in the early 60’s. Does any one remember the ■■■■■ Cottage ? up past Dundee on the Arbroath road, oh very happy days :smiley:
regards Big Al (too many birthdays) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Big Al:

Norman Ingram:

Oh Happy days, about that time I was on 16 shillings (80P) night out money and lived well on it. 7/6d (37.5p) bought you evening meal bed and breakfast at Dirty Daisy’s on The Govan Toll, Paisley Road, Glasgow, you parked on Admiral St (not forgetting to pay your security dues to the litlle ragamuffins who guarded your lorry) Daisy would give you a 2/6d (12.5p) car park ticket. Why was it called Dirty Daisy’s ? well to give you a clue the wall paper in the bedroom was nailed on with 6" nails. Any one remember Daisy ? Bolton Roadways used to stay there in the early 60’s. Does any one remember the ■■■■■ Cottage ? up past Dundee on the Arbroath road, oh very happy days :smiley:

You old softy big Al, I was on £1.10 shilling with F.M.C.= Fatstock marketing corparation, they down meat & poultry, Our wage was £32 per week, no overtime 50 hours a week, start anytime from 1600hrs to 0600hrs or 0300hrs to 1400hrs at that time B. R. S. top drivers were on £13.12s.6p night out money was 10/6p,for 40 hrs so our conditions was very good, through out my life I have been on good firms, my last was Carlesberg. One of the last digs I stopped at was on the London rd, as you came down the hill into Carlisle, and some of the drivers came back from the night club, The ■■■■ of the North, during the night one came to go to the tiolet, and there was a yell I put on my torch, this chap was ■■■■■■■ all over one that was in bed in our room, he thought he had gone to the tiolet, I never stopped in digs again if I could help it , Sandman norman

Norman Ingram:

aidey:

Yes in the year when we won the world cup, I was on my way to Glasgow with Chickens, I and a few lorries go stuck on shap in the snow, I had a fold up bed, camping equipment, and some food, some of the ten drivers came into the container and brought anything eatable and we cooked up a feast, played cards, and slept there, we was there for 32 hours, we was just cooking up breakfast, when were heard a bang on the rear doors, it was a policeman who had battled through the snow to see if we were ok , and to tell us the road would be cleared in two hours. He said he must be getting back, I said get some brains, wait until the road is clear and have some grub.

Hi Norman we had lnu137p and 134p at morgan overland alsager there is a picture of it on this site with phil bunch and big graham

jkwilson:

Norman Ingram:

aidey:

I would like to see them
Hi Norman we had lnu137p and 134p at morgan overland alsager there is a picture of it on this site with phil bunch and big graham

kerbut:
If you had told me 25 years ago that today I would be sat in front of a screen really enjoying what is written on this section of this website I would have called you a liar,I am really enjoying the Busby Davis thread, the RD thread ,Truckerash thread etc. If i had thought 25 years ago when I was working for a well known Poole haulier (sadly now gone) that my 2 Barcelona,s a week would be impossible ,but we did it ,ship out Sunday ,clear La Junquera Tuesday ,tip ,reload ,clear Zona Franca ,up to Bordeaux change trailers repeat process and back up to Cherbourg for Friday night or Saturday morning . Who said we ran bent !!

Was you what they call a Cowboy ha ha ha

Big Al:

Norman Ingram:

al youwould make a great father christmas

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]
[/quote]

With 15 grand children and 3 great grand children I done that job
a few times :smiley: :slight_smile: :unamused: regards Big Al

Big Al:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing:

[/quote]
With 15 grand children and 3 great grand children I done that job
a few times :smiley: :slight_smile: :unamused: regards Big Al
[/quote]
When I saw your photo, I knew you was like a great big teddy bear,your wife must have got you from the cradle to have that big a family, you don’t look a day over 50 yuk, yuk, I am 71 regards Sandman Norman

/quote] When I saw your photo, I knew you was like a great big teddy bear,your wife must have got you from the cradle to have that big a family, you don’t look a day over 50 yuk, yuk, I am 71 regards Sandman Norman
[/quote]

Norman, bit younger then you. I bought my 1st lorry , a 1948 O Type petrol Bedford in 1961, for £45 I used it on my coal & wood round.Went on to buy a TK Bedford from Tommy Brears (T.C.Brears & Sons) reg no 6572DT ex demo TK from Bedford dealer “Thompsons of Doncaster” Sadly Tom passed away but his Son John carries on the business. regards Big Al. :smiley: :slight_smile: :astonished: :unamused: