take 30 to 45mins to boil, and some only last a few weeks
if your lucky
but there are some good ones out the and not all are silly money
one if the best i have found, for under £20, was the roadster
with the silver top, 300watts and boils in about 5-7mins depending
on how full and how cold the water is,
another good one is the mini kettle 24v,
i think the trick is to use 300w or about, prefferable with a hella din
plug, but remember 300watts needs a 24v 15a socket and nothing else working of the socket at the same time
you could also look at the rolls of kettles, dometic, grundig or go travel
from £20 - £90 odd, might last longer but not that much
as for the gas with a kettle, for speed, no competion, the gas wins every time
but at £1 a pop for a gas can i think i would pick a 24v kettle every time
ps, still take the gas with me as a back up :smiley:

I would imagine that after four years, Pete has found a kettle now. :wink:

I have had 3 of those Black & silver kettles, the switch went on each one. :neutral_face:

bigvern1:
They are pants…Get a gas stove and a saucepan/cheap kettle. Tea in 3 mins job done!

I had a gas stove, it nearly killed me, I lit it in the cab in Chesterfield truck stop and woke up in hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

I said a lot of things…4 years ago.

Pat Hasler:
I also had a gas stove, it nearly killed me, I lit it in the cab in Chesterfield truck stop and woke up in hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Gas stoves are excellent, but it is essential to have a window open when you use one.

bigvern1:
They are pants…Get a gas stove and a saucepan/cheap kettle. Tea in 3 mins job done!

^
This

The little camping Gaz stoves will boil up a small pan of water very quickly. Dont know what others do but i NEVER use it inside the cab. I place mine outside on a flat surface like the diesel tank…

Electric kettles in trucks are always pants…

Slow, never really boiling and sooner or later, ending in a big blue flash.

Get a gas one. Just don’t drop your lighter in the ring area near the flame.You’ll be amazed at just how much fuel those little blighters have in them!

With any electric kettle, it’s a battle as to which will burn out first, the kettle or the dashboard. :stuck_out_tongue:

AndrewG:

bigvern1:

^
This

The little camping Gaz stoves will boil up a small pan of water very quickly. Dont know what others do but i NEVER use it inside the cab. I place mine outside on a flat surface like the diesel tank…

I’d like to see you do that in minus 30f LOL

AndrewG:

bigvern1:

^
This

I use it inside the cab all the time. Sit it on top of it’s box, underneath doesn’t even get slightly warm.

I did laugh when I was in a place that had NO COOKING ON SITE on a sign. Apparently a foreign chap had done what you do, cooking a fry up on the diesel tank. Office bods had burst into tears and thought the whole place was going to go boom :laughing:

I couldn’t even explain that there was more chance of an iceberg burning to the ground than the truck going up for the hysterical health and safety lecture.

A.

Pat Hasler:

bigvern1:

I had a gas stove, it nearly killed me, I lit it in the cab in Chesterfield truck stop and woke up in hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

I don’t use gas for that reason, not that it happened to me my mates dad who was a driver died in the cab over night because of a gas stove,
I’ve tried an electric one that still hadn’t boiled before my 45 min break had finished so gave up trying them, resorted to buying a costa when ever I want a coffee now and topping it up on sites that have a drinks machine.

Pat Hasler:

AndrewG:

bigvern1:

^
This

I’d like to see you do that in minus 30f LOL

Im pretty lucky, im always in a warm clime :wink:

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

bigvern1:

^
This

I use it inside the cab all the time. Sit it on top of it’s box, underneath doesn’t even get slightly warm.

I did laugh when I was in a place that had NO COOKING ON SITE on a sign. Apparently a foreign chap had done what you do, cooking a fry up on the diesel tank. Office bods had burst into tears and thought the whole place was going to go boom :laughing:

I couldn’t even explain that there was more chance of an iceberg burning to the ground than the truck going up for the hysterical health and safety lecture.

A.

If theres an alternative flat place to put it (picnic area) ill use that but the looks you get if its on top of the tank :grimacing: Its an ali walk grid that extends both sides at the rear of the cab next to the side deflectors so its a few cm;s off the tank anyway. A petrol tank, that would be very different…lol

I’ve now discovered a way to cook outside while inside! It’s amazing!

instagram.com/p/BNmfXVSlck5/

double post

switchlogic:

Thats the one i have, the gas canisters last a good while and it just goes into a plastic case afterwards. I always release the canister from the valve after use and keep it in the outside locker next to the fridge rather than the cab.

AndrewG:

switchlogic:

Thats the one i have, the gas canisters last a good while and it just goes into a plastic case afterwards. I always release the canister from the valve after use and keep it in the outside locker next to the fridge rather than the cab.

Exactly, the only way they are a danger overnight is if you leave the cannister connected

Hi to all truckers and motorhome enthusasts
now there have been many discusions on 12v and 24v kettles, most interesting
and most saying not to bother with either, stick to the gas
well after purchasing several different 12v and 24v kettles i half way agree
gas is more reliable long term, (UNTILL NOW)
well listen up, I have a kettle 24v 300v purchased from, dare i say it, ebay
the con artists paradise, some my say,
now this kettle had a resonable boil time of about 12-14mins depending on a number
factors, water temp engine running or not etc, you get the picture
any way, this kettle was used 5-6 days a week and about 10 times a day
now your next question, how long did it last, a week, a month, 6 months
in answer to the question 4 months 2days, pretty grap we thought
so stipped it to find out what caused it to fail
hella plug had melted, due to poor manifacture,
now is the time to state, a 24v 300w apliance requires a 15amp feed
and a 12v 300w apliance requires a 30amp feed, (to be on the safe side)
that is for all you budding critics just waiting for me to make a mistake !!!
now the make of the most reliable kettle is roadstar or all ride, both the same kettles
just with a different name, and now some are saying (rubbish)
well we have tried and tested several different 12v and 24v kettles and without
modifying as we have done and ours has lasted 18months now being used 10 times a day
5-6 days a week, and still going strong,
as for the mods we have done, contact us at magicmax1234@gmail.com and we can help

now for you motorhomers, diffent kettle of fish
you have a 12v system, now we have tested several 12v kettles for weeks on end
and have come to the conclusion that if you dont mind waiting for 25mins for it to boil
then purchase a 170w 12v kettle most will last several years as only used for 2-4 wks a year
we found all to be reliable but one stood out to be more stable as it had a 5in round base
and narrowed to the top, but remember it needs a 10amp supply
the make is SUNNCAMP 170w, but this kettle has a polarity, pos + to the centre pin
of the cigar lighter, most are wires this way but you never know with diy jobs
so check before you blow the relay in the kettle
now most people think, (im not waiting 25mins for my cuppa
but what i do is pop the 12v kettle on 30mins before you pull over for a cuppa
cant do that with gas, if the motorhome is wired to EU spec, but some of us
have altered to coach elec’s to work when engine is running, lol
any questions email at magicmax1234@gmail.com
enjoy your driving and be safe

Jetboil. Are good used them in the army. Brew in 2 mins.