20p PER KILOMETERE

Just been offered some work and they said “We dont pay wages, we pay 20p per Kilometere” as this job involves RDC work for one of the more notorious chains, guess what I said.

Blunder Man:
Just been offered some work and they said “We dont pay wages, we pay 20p per Kilometere” as this job involves RDC work for one of the more notorious chains, guess what I said.

When can I start? :laughing: :laughing:

Sounds like 6 or 700 quid in the bank then :laughing:

It is amazing how much a few kilometres helps boost a blokes wages. even 5p a click makes a big difference

Wheel nut old boy, if it had been in ADDITION to wages, not INSTEAD of wages I would have tore his hand off.

Depends what kind of distances you’re talking.

OK, let’s be clear on this. 20p per km travelled, NO wages whilst loading, tipping and WAITING.

Taking T*sco Middlewich as an example. I’ve done Prescot and Stockport in one 11 hour shift, some 200km in total.

This includes pushing 40+ full cages off and reloading empty cages, twice.

200 kms x 20p per hour is about £40, for 11 hours work!

Wages is about £80.

If you’re delivering TO T*sco, or any other RDC you could be waiting for hours to tip with no wages.

Bad deal, methinks.

distance pay in the UK? no thanks :laughing:

scanny77:

Not only that but if you don’t do much mileage but put the hours in, it’s likely to be illegal under Minimum Wage laws.

scanny77:

Like I said,depends on distances covered.I did 3087kms last week.At 20p/km,I would have earned about £16 more than on hourly pay.Granted,I’m not sitting on bays for hours on end. :smiley:

return trip from bellshill to fort william at 20p per km? or 13 1/2 paid hours at £9 p/h?

i did 248 kms today which would have been roughly half of what i will be paid at hourly rate

on the other hand, last week i did a double manned trunk from livingston to M6 j10. that would have been a nice little earner, unless i was only paid for the kms i actually drove!

being paid by the km might get trucks off the motorway as drivers take the scenic route to clock some extra distance. local radio stations would get extra listeners with truckers trying to avoid traffic jams instead of finding themselves stuck in them as time ticks on :laughing:

ask how much demourage you’ll get.
ask if you can drop and swap at tesco.
ask for more than 20p. because that’s a ■■■■■■■■■

Blunder Man:

i may be corrected on this…but ive read somewhere in the terms of having an o licence,that a company shall not pay there drivers mileage bonus,as this, may give an insentive to run your cards hot, so to speak, :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Conor:
Not only that but if you don’t do much mileage but put the hours in, it’s likely to be illegal under Minimum Wage laws.

It’s illegal in this country to pay a driver in any way that may intice to speed or break the law.

Thats why you have semis in the US hitting 90mph $1.25 a mile

Blunder Man:

Right, i’m guessing as you also say above that you didn’t tear his hand off !! That you said, yes as long as you pay for the diesel :smiley:

Data Academy:

Conor:

It’s illegal in this country to pay a driver in any way that may intice to speed or break the law.

Thats why you have semis in the US hitting 90mph $1.25 a mile

As long as the “Bonus” doesn’t encourage you to break the law, or there is a reasonable system in place for checking tachos the 20 pence per kilometre is quite acceptable in the UK.

The US are still using swindle sheets :laughing:

1. There is nothing illegal about paying a driver mileage so long as there is a guaranteed minimum (can be peanuts, ours has been 50 quid for years) and you are not encouraged to break the law. Our local VOSA are fully aware of how we are paid and 100% happy with it.

2. 20p/km is crap. We were on 25p/km 5 years ago, and even then we got demurrage when the company did.

3. It can be great on mileage. Your day is your own so long as the job gets done. Ok, so some days you win, some days you lose, but overall it evens itself out and believe it or not it’s a whole lot less stressful than hours or salary where you have to account for your time.

Lucy. Mileage-paid driver who would rather boil her ■■■■■■■ in oil than go back to hours. :grimacing:

Lucy:

1. There is nothing illegal about paying a driver mileage so long as there is a guaranteed minimum (can be peanuts, ours has been 50 quid for years) and you are not encouraged to break the law. Our local VOSA are fully aware of how we are paid and 100% happy with it.

2. 20p/km is crap. We were on 25p/km 5 years ago, and even then we got demurrage when the company did.

3. It can be great on mileage. Your day is your own so long as the job gets done. Ok, so some days you win, some days you lose, but overall it evens itself out and believe it or not it’s a whole lot less stressful than hours or salary where you have to account for your time.

Lucy. Mileage-paid driver who would rather boil her ■■■■■■■ in oil than go back to hours. :grimacing:

what’s your weekly average then lucy? km wise

Varies between 3000+ on a really good week down to 2400/2500 on a bad one, but the latter is usually when I’m working out of Tilbury so the M25 takes it’s toll and we get an extra bonus to compensate. We get various other bonuses for reloading/ driver assist/ strip outs as well. Works for me.

cant see what ye problem is ? some hauliers are running their own trucks on 30 p or so more and thats to cover wages and all of the cost associated in runnin them!

ye cover 3000 kms per week , thats £600 , not bad in these difficult times.

Happy job Huntin.

Lucy:

Lucy. Mileage-paid driver who would rather boil her ■■■■■■■ in oil than go back to hours. :mrgreen:

Does Rikki know about this ■■■■■ side to you Lucy■■? lmao

Seriously though, for the money you are earning Lucy I’d certainly feel the same.