20mph proposals

20mph See their pushing this narative now, just near schools I hope, as can accept that, just wish it wasn’t a blanket 20mph, and just during periods the schools are occupied by kids, as can see the result, midnight some poor sods driving past, doesnt spot the camera, and in no time points for doing 24mph on a road that at that time doesn’t need such a reduced speed.

In fact would be taxi drivers most at risk, so job in danger with 2 such events. If its all 30mph roads down to 20mph, its just a money grab by local authorities, probably also saving money fixing roads less, its why I feel some motorways have limits when not needed at night, as just usually hgv at this time so minor but does reduce wear and tare over years of use.

And if all roads 30mph to 20, home deliveries are going to be impacted in big way, and lots of general drivers losing licences as 20mph on empty roads at night is too tempting to break.

TonkaBoy:
lots of general drivers losing licences as 20mph on empty roads at night is too tempting to break.

Darwin`s theory at work.
Those who have heavy right feet will become extinct as drivers. :smiley:

Some years…

Ago, I rented a Volvo X90 for a week.

It was able to slow down automatically for speed limits if you set the option to do so. It was very accurate, not once did it get it wrong.

That feature will become standard fitment in time over everything out there.

As for delivery vans running late, that’s more to do with over ambitious line managers sticking too many drops on one round. That won’t ever change.

yourhavingalarf:
As for delivery vans running late, that’s more to do with over ambitious line managers sticking too many drops on one round. That won’t ever change.

More like silly drivers trying to do mission impossible rather than bringing back all the excess drops that can’t be done comfortably.
Although almost everything becomes mission impossible at 20mph max on roads that have been designated as 30mph+ for decades.

Just remember that if you rack up points doing the job the way “everybody” else does. The firm will engage someone else straight out of driving school. I see that most of Edinburgh is 20 mph now so the creep will just get bigger, got to fill the coffers some how.

alamcculloch:
I see that most of Edinburgh is 20 mph now so the creep will just get bigger, got to fill the coffers some how.

Mission…

Creep at it’s finest.

yourhavingalarf:
Some years…

Ago, I rented a Volvo X90 for a week.

It was able to slow down automatically for speed limits if you set the option to do so. It was very accurate, not once did it get it wrong.

That feature will become standard fitment in time over everything out there…

While back for my sins I did a.speed awareness course some young ■■■■■■■ my course. She had a car with same feature.
All through the course she didn’t stop complaining my car has built in speed camera. car slows me down I shouldn’t be here not my fault car didn’t detect I was in a 30 zone .
It’s not my car fault I shouldn’t be here. I thought it was 40 as my car didn’t slow down. Restirct my speed.
All though the course she complained n complained my car’s fault not mine.

gbnews.com/lifestyle/uk-dri … nforceable

shullbit:
UK drivers told most 20mph speed zones CANNOT be enforced and are only 'advisory'

From your link:
“a four-year study commissioned by the Government in 2018 found that 20mph zones had failed to make roads safer.
Another study published in November last year also found they had “little impact” on crashes, casualties and driver speed”

Well, if the traffic isnt *actually* slowing down. then there wont be much change, will there? :smiley:

When I last attended a naughty boy awareness course evidence was presented to us about the effects of hitting a pedestrian at 30mph versus hitting one at 20mph. The difference was staggering, obviously getting hit at any speed is going to smart a tad but the percentile difference between injuries at death was shocking.

I’m never in that much of a hurry that hitting a pedestrian/nun/child/fluffy kitten is worth the extra minute or so.

the maoster:
When I last attended a naughty boy awareness course evidence was presented to us about the effects of hitting a pedestrian at 30mph versus hitting one at 20mph. The difference was staggering, obviously getting hit at any speed is going to smart a tad but the percentile difference between injuries at death was shocking.

I’m never in that much of a hurry that hitting a pedestrian/nun/child/fluffy kitten is worth the extra minute or so.

From the same link above
Research has shown that one in 40 pedestrians die when hit by a car going at 20mph, compared to one in five at 30mph.

the maoster:
When I last attended a naughty boy awareness course

When I…

Last attended a naughty boy awareness course, soccermum96 reckoned she’d been zapped again on her way into the speed awareness course itself.

yourhavingalarf:

the maoster:

When I…

Last attended a naughty boy awareness course, soccermum96 reckoned she’d be zapped again on her way into the speed awareness course itself.

I think I told you about this in the pub last time, but my speed course was for 47mph on a s/c NSL road. By the time I attended the course the law had changed to 50mph!

Ironic doing a course for something that was no longer an offence. My how I laughed

the maoster:
I think I told you about this in the pub last time

To be fair…

I tend to forget everything you say when we out on the lash mate.

Good point, well made. Guess you forgot about the £50 I lent you too?

the maoster:
Good point, well made. Guess you forgot about the £50 I lent you too?

You a…

Lorry driver. Like you’d have 50 nicker to lend.

If the average speed in London is 8mph,then in that case,if all cars within the north and south circular were restricted to 20mph,I dont think it would make any difference between any two points because there would be less queing at the roundabouts and traffic lights and you use less fuel and make roads safer,a win win.Except for those that cant stand the idea of tootling along at 20.You just set the cruise at 20 and,really,a lot of it is in the mind.Its nit that long since we using horse and carts,the people managed then.Anything is better than seeing people die on the roads.

Well in Wales they’re changing ALL 30mph limits to 20mph from sept i think it is :imp:

drover:
Well in Wales they’re changing ALL 30mph limits to 20mph from sept i think it is :imp:

Yep, we’ve had pilots here in Wales for a couple of years now and the roads feel less safe than when they were 30mph (as a pedestrian and a driver).

It seems to anger people to the point of dangerous overtaking and speeding when back out of the 20mph zone into the 30mph zone. I have never seen so many crashes in the valleys than in the last couple of years, with lots of those in 20mph zones where a couple in the last few months alone have ended up with the cars on their roof.

Could have been avoided if they were doing 20mph, if only there was a way to limit the speed…

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using Tapatalk

the maoster:

yourhavingalarf:

the maoster:

When I…

Last attended a naughty boy awareness course, soccermum96 reckoned she’d be zapped again on her way into the speed awareness course itself.

I think I told you about this in the pub last time, but my speed course was for 47mph on a s/c NSL road. By the time I attended the course the law had changed to 50mph!

Ironic doing a course for something that was no longer an offence. My how I laughed

Yep, I can see you rolling round on the floor. :slight_smile: