20mph proposals

drover:
Well in Wales they’re changing ALL 30mph limits to 20mph from sept i think it is :imp:

On similar thread same as smart motorways making M4 in south Wales 50mph…same as m56 now that’s been upgraded signs around Manchester airport always set to 50 mph even in the early Hours.

yourhavingalarf:

That feature will become standard fitment in time over everything out there.

It has been the law for almost a year now (for new cars)

parkers.co.uk/car-advice/sp … h%20fitted.

the maoster:
When I last attended a naughty boy awareness course evidence was presented to us about the effects of hitting a pedestrian at 30mph versus hitting one at 20mph. The difference was staggering, obviously getting hit at any speed is going to smart a tad but the percentile difference between injuries at death was shocking.

I’m never in that much of a hurry that hitting a pedestrian/nun/child/fluffy kitten is worth the extra minute or so.

I’d be very surprised if a pedestrian/nun/child/fluffy kitten could appear in your path while you were travelling at 30mph without you having enough warning to reduce your speed to at least 20 as a minimum if not avoid them completely.
pedestrian/nun/child/fluffy kittens don’t just appear from nowhere. Travelling at 30 rather than 20 would have one much more alert and more likely to avoid accidents at all (as expressed above in Wales).
Would you like to come to Surrey and ride your bike in the countryside in 20 limits on roads that were previously NSL (GLF)?

^^^ have you somehow morphed into CF here Stu? :smiley:

By that logic you’d be far more alert and adrenaline fuelled at 120mph as opposed to 20mph. Perhaps we should raise the limit to that? :smiley:

stu675:

yourhavingalarf:

It has been the law for almost a year now (for new cars)

parkers.co.uk/car-advice/sp … h%20fitted.

Thanks for…

The heads up. I was alluding to drivers being unable to deactivate the limiters eventually.

The day’s of ‘doing a ton’ down the A1 are numbered.

stu675:

the maoster:
When I last attended a naughty boy awareness course evidence was presented to us about the effects of hitting a pedestrian at 30mph versus hitting one at 20mph. The difference was staggering, obviously getting hit at any speed is going to smart a tad but the percentile difference between injuries at death was shocking.

I’m never in that much of a hurry that hitting a pedestrian/nun/child/fluffy kitten is worth the extra minute or so.

I’d be very surprised if a pedestrian/nun/child/fluffy kitten could appear in your path while you were travelling at 30mph without you having enough warning to reduce your speed to at least 20 as a minimum if not avoid them completely.
pedestrian/nun/child/fluffy kittens don’t just appear from nowhere. Travelling at 30 rather than 20 would have one much more alert and more likely to avoid accidents at all (as expressed above in Wales).
Would you like to come to Surrey and ride your bike in the countryside in 20 limits on roads that were previously NSL (GLF)?

The ones in Wales, reportedly ending up on the roof, probably aren`t following the 20mph limit.
I suspect some may even be going faster than 30!

yourhavingalarf:
Some years…

Ago, I rented a Volvo X90 for a week.

It was able to slow down automatically for speed limits if you set the option to do so. It was very accurate, not once did it get it wrong.

As for delivery vans running late, that’s more to do with over ambitious line managers sticking too many drops on one round. That won’t ever change.

May or may not be. Personally am sick of warehouses/loaders/unloaders r-sing about and the traffic office expecting you to make up the time lost. They will get a shock when auto trucks come in (except they will gain 45 mins in every 5h 15 as no drivers breaks!)

This sort of ‘making up time’ went out in the railways years ago too. Trains have all got block boxes and speed is carefully monitored.

edd1974:

drover:
Well in Wales they’re changing ALL 30mph limits to 20mph from sept i think it is :imp:

On similar thread same as smart motorways making M4 in south Wales 50mph…same as m56 now that’s been upgraded signs around Manchester airport always set to 50 mph even in the early Hours.

The great irony about the section between Port Toilet and Swansea being that it’s apparently to “reduce pollution”; in an area which inevitably reeks of fumes from the adjacent steelworks.