20cm From Death

Denis F:

JoeG:

DadsRetired:
I hope they give you a lesson in lane management at roundabouts, with the appropriate fine.

What are you meaning by this?

I’m guessing he means the the bike should have been on the left hand lane as he was going straight across not the right hand lane !! it was poor lane discipline! But it doesn’t excuse the fact that the tanker driver didn’t see him !

Yep, poor lane discipline. But thats ok cos he’s a cyclist and can do what he likes.

Yes, the tanker driver needs a good shafting too.

JoeG:
Personally, i dont think that Magnatom was looking. When i go around a round about im always checking whats coming to the exits if i can. Magnatom seems to just be looking to where he is going.

In the video, you can see his head constantly moving to the left. The camera is on top of his head, so if you turn your head as much as he is, where his eyes could be. If you slightly moved your head like him, you can pretty much see to the rear left of you.

I reckon that tanker driver’s looked onto the roundabout too soon and has seen the cyclist
but not realised the speed he was cycling at, then instead of checking the roundabout again
before pulling on to it’ has nearly had the cyclist with the trailer wheels! very lucky man’

DadsRetired:

Denis F:

JoeG:

DadsRetired:
I hope they give you a lesson in lane management at roundabouts, with the appropriate fine.

What are you meaning by this?

I’m guessing he means the the bike should have been on the left hand lane as he was going straight across not the right hand lane !! it was poor lane discipline! But it doesn’t excuse the fact that the tanker driver didn’t see him !

Yep, poor lane discipline. But thats ok cos he’s a cyclist and can do what he likes.

Yes, the tanker driver needs a good shafting too.

Sorry, yes he is going straight on. I thought he was going right so would have been in the correct lane but no.
Bad lane discipline indeed.
If only i still frequented the forum that he is on, the fun that could be had…

Benni:

JoeG:
Personally, i dont think that Magnatom was looking. When i go around a round about im always checking whats coming to the exits if i can. Magnatom seems to just be looking to where he is going.

In the video, you can see his head constantly moving to the left. The camera is on top of his head, so if you turn your head as much as he is, where his eyes could be. If you slightly moved your head like him, you can pretty much see to the rear left of you.

Yes, but i think he didnt look to see what was happening more.
My head is usually turned properly to look though, rather then turning my head slightly and looking witht he corner of my eyes. If you get my drift.
I think he should have kept more of a look on the tanker rather then just glancing at it.
Just my opinion though. Im not saying the cyclist was in the wrong(besides being in the wrong lane)

I agree he was a lucky man I don’t think the Tanker driver saw him at all.
Although the Tanker driver was to blame that’s little comfort when you end up lying underneath it, all road users, especially vulnerable ones like cyclists and motorcyclists (like me) need to be aware of other road users actions even if they themselves have right of way.

I’ve done quite a bit of cycling in the past but have cut down due to two main reasons. I’ve seen a couple of close shaves (maybe not as close as that video, though!) and it seems that more and more of the riders in our training group are developing a worse attitude on the road.

In that clip the tanker was in the wrong for sure, however, it’s also another example of how cyclists are alienating themselves. Why was the road position adopted by the cyclist so far towards the middle of the road? Why was the cycle lane being totally ignored? Was the cyclist guilty of lane-hopping on the roundabout (straigh line, faster, etc)?

Some of the cyclists I’ve trained with had an attitude that pee’d me off due to their arrogance. I know why they don’t use the cycle lanes; “they’re too bumpy”, “I get punctures as that’s where the crap builds up”, “motorists are supposed to give way to us” (WTF!!), “Of course we can ride three/four abreast” and other such ignorant comments.

My bike is now in the garage having it’s winter rest. I don’t think it’ll be coming out this summer - I’ll just stick to swim training me thinks . . . . . . .

maybe the cyclist has noticed the tanker and was trying to beat the tanker driver
onto the roundabout as off the speed he was travelling at! Maybe both of these are
to blame :question: :confused:

The lane on nearside of bike is a bike lane, why does he keep looking over his right shoulder when he was leaving alot of road to his nearside. he should cycle on the pavement like I do

marcustandy:
I’ve done quite a bit of cycling in the past but have cut down due to two main reasons. I’ve seen a couple of close shaves (maybe not as close as that video, though!) and it seems that more and more of the riders in our training group are developing a worse attitude on the road.

In that clip the tanker was in the wrong for sure, however, it’s also another example of how cyclists are alienating themselves. Why was the road position adopted by the cyclist so far towards the middle of the road? Why was the cycle lane being totally ignored? Was the cyclist guilty of lane-hopping on the roundabout (straigh line, faster, etc)?

Some of the cyclists I’ve trained with had an attitude that pee’d me off due to their arrogance. I know why they don’t use the cycle lanes; “they’re too bumpy”, “I get punctures as that’s where the crap builds up”, “motorists are supposed to give way to us” (WTF!!), “Of course we can ride three/four abreast” and other such ignorant comments.

My bike is now in the garage having it’s winter rest. I don’t think it’ll be coming out this summer - I’ll just stick to swim training me thinks . . . . . . .

One of the reasons i sometimes hate riding with the group i train with.
I dont use cycle lanes, i normally sit just out of them. But that depends, if theres cars parked on the left and your in the door zone i stay out.

One of the things that annoyed me a few times was when we would be going around Lowdham round about(junction of A612 and the B6097) and with people on bikes waiting on the courner would go round then just stop. The car that was behind would then be blocked, but they see nothing wrong with it.
Undertaking is another thing they would do alot of. Ride double where they shouldnt…

fuse:
The lane on nearside of bike is a bike lane, why does he keep looking over his right shoulder when he was leaving alot of road to his nearside. he should cycle on the pavement like I do

No. YOU should cycle on the road. :unamused: Pavements for walking, roads for wheeled object.

lucky fella!!
it does seem as though the driver did,nt see the cyclist for some reason, but the cyclist , and this might just seem to be the angle of the camera but approaching the island he does,nt appear to be in the cycle lane that has been marked out, he also several times looks to his right yet on the island does,nt slow down or take a good look to his right… and seems to cut the corner a bit without knowing what is along side him, however this does,nt excuse the truck driver for no observation…

if it was me on the cycle there is no way i would enter a island at that sort of speed, tbh i would prob get off the thing and cross on foot,

dle1uk:
if it was me on the cycle there is no way i would enter a island at that sort of speed, tbh i would prob get off the thing and cross on foot,

No need to get off your bike and walk. If you know how to take the island, be confident and keep a look around you then you can just keep going and do it safely with not many problems.

A poll has now been added, please vote!

marcustandy your comments on the cycling clubs I agree with… i live in the sticks and help out on local farms, on a weekend we have several cycling clubs using the lanes as a race track but they cannot see what is coming around the bend, we have had several near misses and a couple of times when the cyclists have ended up in the hedge… the lanes are tight and these cyclists come around 3, 4 or more abreast at speed without a clue as too what is around the bend, it as got to a point now that if we are moving anything fairly big that someone goes in front in the landy to warn them… even resorted to trying to do the majority of tractor work ect in the worse areas during the week.

the famers have wriiten to and spoken to the clubs concerned and nothing changes, even spoke to police but obviously they have other things to do… but on any contact with these clubs their attitude leaves a lot to be desired, it seems the roads were built for them!

No excuses, the tanker driver is in the wrong, you should’ve followed him & punched his lights out :wink:

A bike or a pedestrian is harder to see than a lorry, bus, car or even a motorbike, but they share the roads so you have to look out for them, if you can’t see them then you shouldn’t be driving :unamused:

I used to ride a bike as a kid, as most of us did, but as soon as I grew up I got a car (& got fat) I’m no longer a fan of the cyclist, let’s face it they’re a pain in the arse, not just the traffic light jumping, riding up the inside of you idiots witha death wish, even proper cyclists are a nuisance, you always seem to catch them just as you both get to a keep left bollard :imp: & when they stick their lycra clad arses in the air & lean over the handle bars it can be very off putting, unless they’re a girl :open_mouth: or you’re a girl yourself of course (I’m no MCP :wink: ) but even though I’m no fan, I don’t feel the need to maim or kill them, not that often anyway, the one thing that I don’t get is just why you would want to ride a bike on today’s busy roads? It would scare the life out of me :open_mouth:

agree joe, but as my other post and the fact my wife is an ex a+e nurse i would rather be safe then sorry, end of the day if a cyclist tangles with any other vehicle the cyclist is going to come off worst…

Magnatom is a complete ■■■■■■ and goes out his way to cause trouble. Just watch his other videos. Half the time the incidents could be avoided but that doesn’t make good youtube videos, does it?

SAD CHAIN OF EVENTS, THE BIKER IS TRYING TO FRAME TANKER DRIVER TO SADDLE HIM WITH THE BLAME AND SO DEFFLATE IS EGO

Rob K:
It looks like the roundabout into Ossett from the end of the Mad Mile. Ken? :confused:

Nah, it’s Burnbrae Roundabout near Glasgow! :wink:

newmercman:
the one thing that I don’t get is just why you would want to ride a bike on today’s busy roads? It would scare the life out of me :open_mouth:

Im starting to wonder why i do go out :frowning:
On my last two rides i had some guy in a car come past close shouting something at me for no reason. Nice wide road aswell. :confused:
Then on friday i was riding along to the left of the cycle lane. I needed to go left, so signalled left, looked over my right shoulder and with it all being clear except for a car a distance behind i moved out to the right(i ride fixed wheel, and the courner is too tight to take it from the cycle lane at any speed) and was braking. Looked over my shoulder to see a driving instructor right on my back wheel and he then honked. He could see exactly what i was doing, i had my left arm still out.
Unfortunately i calmed down and he wouldnt stop.
I did have a ride that i had a lot of car drivers just randomly passing close and driving like headless chickens made better by two lorry drivers. One waited behind me leaving me plenty of room when he couldnt get past. I pulled over for him when i could so he could come past. The long line of cars behind was going on for ages, but a tipper driver let me out. Very nice chaps.

dle1uk:
agree joe, but as my other post and the fact my wife is an ex a+e nurse i would rather be safe then sorry, end of the day if a cyclist tangles with any other vehicle the cyclist is going to come off worst…

Very true, which is why i personally find you need to look around you more, ride defensivly at times, stay on the ball and look at everything, coming up to junctions and going around round abouts keep your head moving. I still dont think he was looking around enough. Just quick glances to the left. I would have kept looking left, following the truck coming up to the round about and slowing down as he was getting closer.
Not being funny but with the speed the tanker seemed to go through he would have been fast coming up to the junction, and you can see it coming up to the junction in plenty of time for the cyclist to have braked. IMO

Steve-o:
Magnatom is a complete ■■■■■■ and goes out his way to cause trouble. Just watch his other videos. Half the time the incidents could be avoided but that doesn’t make good youtube videos,
does it?

Very true. Ive said it to him before. He plays up to the camera, and often shouts and makes such big things out of things that really arent that bad.

fuse:
SAD CHAIN OF EVENTS, THE BIKER IS TRYING TO FRAME TANKER DRIVER TO SADDLE HIM WITH THE BLAME AND SO DEFFLATE IS EGO

Shut up you complete idiot

http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55824

Heres his write up and comments.
Its abit of a, well, cliquy forum, alot of people love magnatom and there are alot of idiot cyclist on there.
I was put on magnatoms ignore list for having a difference of opinion to what he had been doing.And i wound him up, a few time :laughing: :laughing: