20 years since I was last trucking, unemployable?

nobodysdriving:

PaulNowak:
Funny how things come back to you like you’ve never been away.

I’m new at this class 1 malarkey. You’ll be way better than me :slight_smile:

And I’m doing it every day. And being paid for it!

I hope you are right and that it will all come back within a day :smiley:
did you get a job shortly after obtaining your class 1?

it’s a shame the job does not pay too well, or at least I think truckers should be paid more anyway :grimacing:

I had my class 1 for over 2 years before I even applied for this job. Was relatively happy doing class 2, until the goalposts started moving, if you get my drift.

dcgpx:
You’ll come under EU rules not domestic which is where the difference is

thank you

as my main job is Midwifery, how does it work when I work full time in Midwifery (so NO driving involved ever) and then just to the odd shift on the road? (am off reading the guide so maybe it’s in there or at least I hope…)

PS an agency has got back to me saying that jobs are available I just need to do my CPC and get a digi-tacho, they did not seem to mention/bother that I have not driven in 20 years :smiley: (I did tell them in my email)

nobodysdriving:
how does it work when I work full time in Midwifery (so NO driving involved ever) and then just to the odd shift on the road? (am off reading the guide so maybe it’s in there or at least I hope…)

In any week that you don’t drive in-scope of EU regulations you don’t need to keep records.

In a week (00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday) that you drive in-scope of EU regulations any work you do on none HGV driving days in the same week is counted as other work for the EU regulations.

You should keep a record of none driving work days you do in the same week as you drive in-scope of EU regulaitons, records for none HGV driving days can be made manually on charts or printouts, you just need to record the start and finish times on none HGV driving days and sign them.
The records for none HGV driving days are just to show that you’ve complied with the daily rest period requirement for driving days and the weekly rest requirement, after 28 days you can bin the records for none HGV driving days.

tachograph:

nobodysdriving:
how does it work when I work full time in Midwifery (so NO driving involved ever) and then just to the odd shift on the road? (am off reading the guide so maybe it’s in there or at least I hope…)

In any week that you don’t drive in-scope of EU regulations you don’t need to keep records.

In a week (00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday) that you drive in-scope of EU regulations any work you do on none HGV driving days in the same week is counted as other work for the EU regulations.

You should keep a record of none driving work days you do in the same week as you drive in-scope of EU regulaitons, records for none HGV driving days can be made manually on charts or printouts, you just need to record the start and finish times on none HGV driving days and sign them.
The records for none HGV driving days are just to show that you’ve complied with the daily rest period requirement for driving days and the weekly rest requirement, after 28 days you can bin the records for none HGV driving days.

fantastic, thanks for that explanation :slight_smile:

nobodysdriving:

dcgpx:
You’ll come under EU rules not domestic which is where the difference is

thank you

as my main job is Midwifery, how does it work when I work full time in Midwifery (so NO driving involved ever) and then just to the odd shift on the road? (am off reading the guide so maybe it’s in there or at least I hope…)

I’m no expert but I believe that if you have a week with no driving then you don’t need to keep any records.

If in a week you do drive then you must account for all other work ie midwifery in that week. Normally people used a digital tachograph roll as there’s manual entry options on back. You need to ensure that between finishing your midwife work and driving that you would comply with hours/rest etc.

It can get complicated fitting driving into a FT jobs hours!

As for agency they will put you on books but beware of above if taking work on and watch they don’t just dump any old driving job onto you!

Might help if you put your normal weeks hours down day by day ( if such a thing or a typical week) then can see where you could fit driving in and rests required etc to help you see if you can actually do it or not.

You might find you can’t ! For example my work is mon- fri only, if I wanted to do a sat or sun on agency as an extra supplement to my FT work I can only do that every second week or I’ll fall foul of weekly rest periods.

That’s why easier to see what you do now and what fits

dcgpx:
You might find you can’t ! For example my work is mon- fri only, if I wanted to do a sat or sun on agency as an extra supplement to my FT work I can only do that every second week or I’ll fall foul of weekly rest periods.

That’s why easier to see what you do now and what fits

thanks,

my working pattern at present is Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm

so maybe with this pattern I can one agency shift a fortnight…

however this will change coming April and will do 11.5 hours shifts 3 days a week and one week per month 4 shifts a week.
the shifts can be on any day with gaps in between them
it may then become easier to do a shift driving depending on when my other shifts fall.

Which day on a weekend would you work or is it a case of either ?

dcgpx:
Which day on a weekend would you work or is it a case of either ?

either would be fine

When I get in I’ll try put together a reply on what you could do, hard work on a phone !

There’s post about doing similar if I find them I’ll link so you can read, there’s a few really good gurus on this forum who can work this out better than me but I’ll try give you an idea.

Have a quick search on Newbies section and a few answers will come up for you to look at in meantime

dcgpx:
When I get in I’ll try put together a reply on what you could do, hard work on a phone !

:grimacing: I understand, thank you for going the extra mile (HAHAHAHA literally! :laughing: )

If you normally work Monday to Friday 08:00 to 16:00 you will be able to legally work in-scope of EU regulations one shift every second week.

A driver working in-scope of EU regulations must have a weekly rest period of at-least 45 consecutive hours at-least every second week, obviously you won’t be able to have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period if you work either Saturday or Sunday.
However a driver who works in-scope of EU regulations can reduce the weekly rest period to no less than 24 consecutive hours every second week, this means that every second week you will be able to do one shift as a HGV driver as long as you can still have a reduced weekly rest period of at-least 24 consecutive hours, which of course you will be able to, so basically you will be able to work either Saturday or Sunday every second week.

You don’t need to have a weekly rest period in weeks that you don’t work in-scope of EU regulations, that’s why you can work every second Saturday or Sunday and never worry about having a regular 45 hour weekly rest period

When you’re working three days a week as a midwife you should be able to do at-least two days a week driving and three days every second week, depending on what hours you work it may even be possible for you to work three days every week, but it’s probably not likely to turn out that way.

See Tachographs answer! He’s one of the gurus [emoji1]

Answered it better than I could!

Just remember to keep records of other work for those weeks driving !

Best of luck getting back into it!

Edit: One thing to add which you might be aware of already is that if you do drive a shift, watch out for the WTD rule of 30 min break if the time on duty will exceed 6hrs! I fell foul of this my first week as in my old office job I was used to carrying on regardless and snatching breaks on the go. Can’t do that when driving or you’ll get infringements flag up. Personally I think this is where the two regulations need to come together!

tachograph:
If you normally work Monday to Friday 08:00 to 16:00 you will be able to legally work in-scope of EU regulations one shift every second week.

A driver working in-scope of EU regulations must have a weekly rest period of at-least 45 consecutive hours at-least every second week, obviously you won’t be able to have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period if you work either Saturday or Sunday.
However a driver who works in-scope of EU regulations can reduce the weekly rest period to no less than 24 consecutive hours every second week, this means that every second week you will be able to do one shift as a HGV driver as long as you can still have a reduced weekly rest period of at-least 24 consecutive hours, which of course you will be able to, so basically you will be able to work either Saturday or Sunday every second week.

You don’t need to have a weekly rest period in weeks that you don’t work in-scope of EU regulations, that’s why you can work every second Saturday or Sunday and never worry about having a regular 45 hour weekly rest period

When you’re working three days a week as a midwife you should be able to do at-least two days a week driving and three days every second week, depending on what hours you work it may even be possible for you to work three days every week, but it’s probably not likely to turn out that way.

you are the best tachograph in the world, thanks :grimacing:

here’s to working my 3 shifts per week then I can up the driving :smiley:

dcgpx:

will do, it’s very easy actually as at work we have a roster online so I log on and all my shifts are there :slight_smile:
thanx

nobodysdriving:

dcgpx:

will do, it’s very easy actually as at work we have a roster online so I log on and all my shifts are there :slight_smile:
thanx

Grey area using that as records. To be safe I’d personally use official analogue charts or get some digital tacho rolls and use back of them.

dcgpx:
Edit: One thing to add which you might be aware of already is that if you do drive a shift, watch out for the WTD rule of 30 min break if the time on duty will exceed 6hrs!

Just to clarify this to avoid any misunderstanding, for the RT(WT)R you should not work more than six hours at any-time in the shift before having a break of at-least 15 minutes.

If your total working time is between six and nine hours you must have at-least 30 minutes break during the shift, it can be taken in two parts of 15 minutes each and one 15 minute break must be started before exceeding 6 hours working time.

I your total working time exceeds nine hours you must have a total of 45 minutes break, again this can be taken in separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each, and at no time should you work more than six hours without a break of at-least 15 minutes.

Breaks for the working time regulations also count as driving breaks where they’re at the appropriate time and duration, driving breaks also count as breaks for the working time regulations.

tachograph:

dcgpx:
Edit: One thing to add which you might be aware of already is that if you do drive a shift, watch out for the WTD rule of 30 min break if the time on duty will exceed 6hrs!

Just to clarify this to avoid any misunderstanding, for the RT(WT)R you should not work more than six hours at any-time in the shift before having a break of at-least 15 minutes.

If your total working time is between six and nine hours you must have at-least 30 minutes break during the shift, it can be taken in two parts of 15 minutes each and one 15 minute break must be started before exceeding 6 hours working time.

I your total working time exceeds nine hours you must have a total of 45 minutes break, again this can be taken in separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each, and at no time should you work more than six hours without a break of at-least 15 minutes.

Breaks for the working time regulations also count as driving breaks where they’re at the appropriate time and duration, driving breaks also count as breaks for the working time regulations.

thanx all noted :slight_smile:
am used to the WTD at work already so that is well ingrained in me though as midwives we can sign an opt out, as an HGV driver you cannot…

dcgpx:
Grey area using that as records. To be safe I’d personally use official analogue charts or get some digital tacho rolls and use back of them.

what I meant was that I have all my shifts on the e-roster so there is no way I’d forget what hours I’ve done in my midwifery, I can just copy them off there :slight_smile:

Looks like all sorted then!! Welcome back to the madness and loonyness [emoji1]

I took massive pay cut but stress much less and I love it so far. Like you personal circumstance dictate haha.

Love to do CE Europe like you have though

Just came home now from a 1 hour drive assessment ,not sat in an artic for near on 16/17 years ,could not believe how easy it all came back to me ,felt so at ease but not cocky .really enjoyed it and look forward to doing a few trips .
Best of luck in your own return to driving .