20 mph when lights flashing

bigvern1:
Is anything taught these days? I thought knowledge of road signs was part of the test still! :neutral_face:

I donā€™t know about you but I donā€™t do a yearly test just to keep abreast of road sign developments

These arenā€™t yearly signs. They have been here a wee while now. :wink:

i seem to remember the highway code saying red circle means mandatory, no red circle means advisory

scanny77:
i seem to remember the highway code saying red circle means mandatory, no red circle means advisory

Exactly right Scanny seems like some do not know basic highway code.I know someone that got 3 points and a fine for going through one at 30mph.

Why would you not slow down anyway.It is all about childrenā€™s safety.

I read somewhere that all local councils can now implement their own speed limits, so small streets where there are schools, then they can reduce the speed limit to 20mph, and put in more speed humps.
It does annoy me when speed humps are in place, and the boy racers try and outwit them by speeding over them, often resulting in the scraping of the front of their car, on the hump. I saw one idiot, who had lowered his car so much, that when he hit the speed hump, demolished the front of his car, it did make me laugh, the same as idiots with their little corsa`s, with an exhaust pipe as big as their ego.

truckyboy:
I read somewhere that all local councils can now implement their own speed limits, so small streets where there are schools, then they can reduce the speed limit to 20mph, and put in more speed humps.
It does annoy me when speed humps are in place, and the boy racers try and outwit them by speeding over them, often resulting in the scraping of the front of their car, on the hump. I saw one idiot, who had lowered his car so much, that when he hit the speed hump, demolished the front of his car, it did make me laugh, the same as idiots with their little corsa`s, with an exhaust pipe as big as their ego.

there are some speed bumps that i cant get over without scraping the front and rear of my car. i cant put it on my driveway due to the road camber and slope of my driveway. it was lowered before i bought it though and i have other priorities so changing the suspension is still a long way off just now

I would argue that ALL these school time 20mph limits are unenforceable.

The ones in a rectangle that say ā€œ20 WHEN LIGHTS FLASHā€ are ADVISORY

The ones on a Black electronic sign with Red/White LEDā€™s are not enforceable as they are not compliant with the TSRGD legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002 ā€¦ tents/made

The Small ones which flip round when turned on with 20 in a red circle are also not compliant if they do not meet the size and font regulations in the TSRGD

The only enforceable 20 limitā€™s are ones on signs the same size as terminal signs when entering a 30MPH zone (I am yet to see one that complies)

Not too sure on the requirement for repeaters as normally they are only for a few hundred yards anyway

Before anyone startsā€¦ no I dont go racing by schools and I am ā€œThinking of the Childrenā€

bigvern1:
Is anything taught these days? I thought knowledge of road signs was part of the test still! :neutral_face:

It is, but most drivers are to thick or selfish that they require a sign to tell them how to drive near a school (I target this comment to the motorist) and the odd trucker.

trubster:

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve heard too.

and the boy racers try and outwit them by speeding over them,

I saw a car bounce off one, hit a lamp post and roll on to itā€™s roof right outside a South London school once. Annoyingly I was stuck behind it as I needed to deliver to the school.

mrpj:

trubster:

It is not true.If there are two 20 mph signs with red circles (one at each side of the road) they are mandatory.End of.
Just ask any traffic cop or my mate that got done.

bigvern1:
These arenā€™t yearly signs. They have been here a wee while now. :wink:

Whatā€™s a wee while though? 10/20/30/40/50 years?

albion1971:

mrpj:

trubster:

It is not true.If there are two 20 mph signs with red circles (one at each side of the road) they are mandatory.End of.

Councils can be sneaky buggers & more often than not some of their local enforcements may have no legal basis.

Iā€™d suspect that most, if not all 20mph limits around schools are advisory rather than legally enforceable.

Iā€™ve done more than a few drops where Iā€™ve found myself in a big truck going past the school gates at kicking out time, any driver who needs a sign to slow them down to 20mph should be dragged from their cab & shot through the neck. Their family to be sent the bill for the bullet & their corpse should be hung from a lampost 200yds before the school gates for a period not less than the remainder of the school term . . . to discourage all the other morons.

albion1971:

If I was inclined to research it further Iā€™d probably consult more reliable sources :smiley:

mrpj:

albion1971:

If I was inclined to research it further Iā€™d probably consult more reliable sources :smiley:

The only way the 20mph is enforceable is if ALL the following are met,

1. Terminal Signs of the required size, Red circle on a white background (not sure of exact size) at the start and end of the limit
  2. Repeater signs every 200 meters (if the zone is longer than 200 meters)
  3. Backed up by a TRO
  4. . . . I think thats it, all the rectangular signs are not enforceable as they are ADVISORY

Iā€™ve always eased off near schools.
Do we really need a roadsign to state the obvious?

Is it really such a hardship to slow down to 20 outside a school? Enforceable or not. We are supposed to be professionals, set an example.

Can I just add - since thereā€™s a lot of aggression on here (shocker) - that the one in my post is NOT outside a school, itā€™s the 1 on Stockport Road, Guide Bridge and was put up due to a halfway house being built and the scum in there requesting it.

Even the localā€™s whoā€™d bought their properties were against the 20 zone, yet it now exists, albeit unenforcably, but will still fail your test if you speed through it :wink:

Bad news chaps! These signs are not advisory, the local councils draw up local traffic orders making the 20mph limit enforceable (when the lights flash) . So enjoy your 3 points and Ā£60 when the police point their speed gun at you. Also how hard is it to do 20mph outside a school? Pretty common sense really

I like the Scottish signs; Twentyā€™s Plenty

Another great idea is used around Bulwell & Arnold Notts and it is a lifesize model of children on the pavements. You can see the brake lights flash when drivers see them.

This works in the same way that the 13ā€™ English policeman did in Nis in the former Yugoslavia :laughing: