20 mph when lights flashing

You drive into a village into the 30 mph limit, approach a school and the sign says 20 mph when lights flashing,are these signs mandatory,and if so then you must have to do 20mph until your out of the 30mph,even if its 3 miles.whats your thoughts?

Yes it’s mandatory, and you don’t have to wait till you’re out the 30. The very helpfull idiots at the council very rarely put the 30 sign up to say you’re out of it so just after the school or whatever keep a eye out on your right and you’ll see the same sign for the traffic going in the opposite direction, once your past that you’re good to go.

terratology:
Yes it’s mandatory, and you don’t have to wait till you’re out the 30. The very helpfull idiots at the council very rarely put the 30 sign up to say you’re out of it so just after the school or whatever keep a eye out on your right and you’ll see the same sign for the traffic going in the opposite direction, once your past that you’re good to go.

What a brilliant idea it is if only it was implemented properly.This was first started in Scotland as far as I know and it is the only country I have seen it being used.
Anybody seen this anywhere else?
Never have I gone through one of these without seeing a 30 sign to tell you of the end of limit so I wonder where you have noticed this terratology?

The biggest problem I have seen in Scotland is the fact that quite a lot of the time when you enter these limits there are no school children about and because of that a lot of drivers do not slow down.
Other than that it is a great idea for the safety of children.
Better get used to 20 limits because soon all the 30’s will become 20!

Sorry chaps, they’re advisory only.

whatdotheyknow.com/request/ … _schools_h

Is anything taught these days? I thought knowledge of road signs was part of the test still! :neutral_face:

The only one I know of locally is on a 40mph road. There are fixed 40 signs right through the safety zone with a set of flashing 20 signs at either end. In this case it seems clear enough as there is also a red band of tarmac with school across the road.

albion1971:

terratology:

What a brilliant idea it is if only it was implemented properly.This was first started in Scotland as far as I know and it is the only country I have seen it being used.
Never have I gone through one of these without seeing a 30 sign to tell you of the end of limit so I wonder where you have noticed this terratology?

The biggest problem I have seen in Scotland is the fact that quite a lot of the time when you enter these limits there are no school children about and because of that a lot of drivers do not slow down.

I’ve recently done my class 1 in bristol and theres a few there on the test routes round Bristol, my instructor told me to look out for the sign on the opposite side as there’s nowhere which tells you when you’re out of the 20 limit. I must have done something right as passed even though my test was when those lights were flashing. There’s plenty of those things in Wales too.

road-safety.org.uk/driving/s … d-schools/

terratology:

albion1971:

terratology:

I can take you out on the test routes round Bristol if you want and point a few out, also there’s plenty of those things in Wales too. I can also stop at the opticians if you need a eye test…

I ask a civil question and…Not driven in Bristol or Wales for years.So sorry… :unamused:

albion1971:

terratology:

albion1971:

terratology:

I ask a civil question and…Not driven in Bristol for years.

I can take you out on the test routes round Bristol if you want and point a few out, also there’s plenty of those things in Wales too. I can also stop at the opticians if you need a eye test…

Sorry just read your post too quickly and it came over arsy but then reread it after I’d posted my reply and it wasn’t so have re-edited my post.

No problem! Always read carefully though cos i can be arsy sometimes… :smiley:

Advisory…

Also, most 20mph zones are unenforceable as I found out after arguing a ticket…

They have a 20mph sign at the start and an end 20mph sign at the end, but no repeaters in the middle…

Street lights with non repeater speed signs = 30mph, ■■■■ you copper :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

they have them at the schools around by me in yorkshire, the biggest problem with them is that they never get turned off? take the now summer hols the 20 mph signs are still flashing for school but there is no school taking place and ive seen many drivers ignore the sign, if they are there purely because of a school then they should maybe operate a little longer then school times, and when there are things on at the school, but not all the while day and night…

It normally says ‘when lights are flashing’ doesn’t it? The ones I’ve seen do. I must be a good reader then or pay more attention than some!

Oops! Not being arsey! No offence meant btw.

The one I’m thinking of has an LED sign with a 20 limit on it, red circle and all.

bigvern1:
Is anything taught these days? I thought knowledge of road signs was part of the test still! :neutral_face:

So if you know why don’t you tell us,as these signs were not on my test route 30 odd years ago.

The correct answer is already here!

If the signs are circular, white with a red border and the digits in black, they are mandatory. Advisory signs can be of any shape or colour as long as the appearance or siting of them does not constitute a hazard.

8wheels:
The one I’m thinking of has an LED sign with a 20 limit on it, red circle and all.

If it says 20 when lit under such a sign then it is mandatory