2 years experince is a joke!

If you lie and have an accident you might invalidate the insurance policy, as 99% of the time it is the insurers who require the 2 years experience. Not worth going to jail for mate.

I will work for the ■■■■ test firm in the world and work all the hours under the tacho just to get a start I’m not work shy!

And yeah ■■■■ going to the slammer for a job!

See if you can get a start as a drivers mate until something comes along.
If nothing else, the experience will give you some insight.

Stobbies are now contacting all their currently employed drivers to see if any of them would be interested in becoming a franchisee,my cousin had a call from his planner about it yesterday,cant have been much interest then if they are having to hawk it around their own drivers,seems a bit desperate!

switchlogic:

ady1:
alot easier to assimilate them

Christ if that doesn’t sound sinister I don’t know what does!

RUN, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE…

If you don’t want your next designation to be 3 from 17 (rather than 7 from 9!) then go where the work is!

What’s all this about £12k gets you a job? Yeh sure it does.

Another one of these “pay to go to work” or even “pay for a tiny chance of going to work” thingies?

Stevie DS:
Stobbies are now contacting all their currently employed drivers to see if any of them would be interested in becoming a franchisee,my cousin had a call from his planner about it yesterday,cant have been much interest then if they are having to hawk it around their own drivers,seems a bit desperate!

If being a franchisee means being an owner driver, then I would imagine few drivers from any firm, let alone a low-payer like stobarts have enough savings to consider buying a second hand truck! Is “William” going to try and flog the firm’s old trucks to the guys that have been driving them? :open_mouth:

For Winseer:

stobartgroup.co.uk/careers/d … e-partner/

ady1:
seriously,bell up the mob in your pic,

I was going to do that the day after I passed my class 1, your site in fact as I live 9 miles away. Then I nipped out to the Co-Op for a bottle of milk and it was on the front page of the Evening Telegraph that Stobart Corby was closing with the loss of 100 jobs. Timing, I fail :unamused:

I understand the OPs frustration though, I “get” why employers are reluctant to give 44 tonnes of metal and valuable cargo to a total novice but newbies need to learn the trade somewhere. I had trouble even getting rigid work despite over 20 years on coaches with no at fault accidents and a glowing reference from my last employer. It’s hard getting started but I’m managing 4 days a week now, mostly on 18 tonners at a firm less than a mile from home delivering roof trusses and joists to building sites and I’m getting the odd day out in artics here and there.

It’s a grind to stay positive and keep going but the only thing I can say is just keep trying.

Winseer:

switchlogic:

ady1:
alot easier to assimilate them

Christ if that doesn’t sound sinister I don’t know what does!

RUN, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE…

If you don’t want your next designation to be 3 from 17 (rather than 7 from 9!) then go where the work is!

It was a joke…

My advice for when you first start…theres loads more drivers than jobs so make yourself stand out from the tons of other drivers that are chasing each one. If there is a firm nearby, go in and ask in person looking presentable and ready to go. Otherwise, send a physical letter in the post to any firm you know of in your area with your CV and a covering letter… it makes more of an impression than an email or a phone call which usually just results in your name being written down on a post-it note and then lost.

Be prepared to drive a van too, even apply for van jobs, its better to have a years van experience than no driving experience at all. When i first got taken on i was in a sprinter for the first couple of months, which actually made it a lot easier to impress when i eventually got a go in the class 2’s as i had already learnt the roads and the job.

hgvhgv:
Do stobies do class 2 work then?

And I’m not sure its some g4s clearence for the olympics and I’m not sure I’ll get it with my history ;(

Tell us more .

Stevie DS:

But ady said you had to wait hours to speak to someone at the training academy because of the demand, would be good if ady put his money where his mouth was instead of trying to entice other people into risking their lifes savings or get into serious debt.

I thought ady was goin in on this OD scheme?? Sure I read it a few months ago

Is there not a self employed tax stipulation that you work for more than one client?
I wouldn’t recommend the “Franchise” as No1! You need a planner to keep you busy with quality work! And my experience of 4 and a half years tells me a great planner is very hard to find at Stobbies! Not impossible but extremely difficult! :unamused:
We were offered the £12 grand deal for 5 grand and couldn’t see how you could run the wagon 52 weeks a year unless you got another driver to partner with laying down the same investment I would have thought! I.e 2 drivers who already know the way Stobbies work! :confused:

hgvhgv:
I have spent the last month applying for every job under the sun, going and seeing employers, singed up with 7 agencies, and I am [zb] ing sick and tired of hearing it now!
What are they going to do when all the older folk fail their medicial? Then they will be in the real [zb]!
Any advice on getting some perm work apart from the agency route would be very helpful, and I’m sure its not just me!
{edit}
Out of the 7 agencies I have singed up with, I have had 1 days work, on a van!

Count yourself lucky in the fact that jobs are there, just a bit tricky to find that’s all. In other trades companies are taking advantage by selling qualified individuals the opportunity to gain this much needed experience for a very high cash price with no guarantee of a job in the end…

Pimpdaddy:

hgvhgv:
I have spent the last month applying for every job under the sun, going and seeing employers, singed up with 7 agencies, and I am [zb] ing sick and tired of hearing it now!
What are they going to do when all the older folk fail their medicial? Then they will be in the real [zb]!
Any advice on getting some perm work apart from the agency route would be very helpful, and I’m sure its not just me!
{edit}
Out of the 7 agencies I have singed up with, I have had 1 days work, on a van!

Count yourself lucky in the fact that jobs are there, just a bit tricky to find that’s all. In other trades companies are taking advantage by selling qualified individuals the opportunity to gain this much needed experience for a very high cash price with no guarantee of a job in the end…

Sounds like Advantage training providers to me Pimpdaddy! :wink:

Right, I know this is off topic… But! Why the F are stobarts looking for their own drivers to become a franchisee! I thought stobarts payed cap money, are they not asking for 12 grand to start up!

ibson:
Right, I know this is off topic… But! Why the F are stobarts looking for their own drivers to become a franchisee! I thought stobarts payed cap money, are they not asking for 12 grand to start up!

There clearly must be financial gain in it for them somewhere/somehow I.e tax, admin, running costs etc, otherwise they wouldn’t bother…

Pro ally because running lorrys ain’t to profitable they make the money on warehousing etc.
Same as Hanson cemex etc make money on materials etc

2 years experince is a joke!