2 years experince is a joke!

I have spent the last month applying for every job under the sun, going and seeing employers, singed up with 7 agencies, and I am ■■■■ ing sick and tired of hearing it now!
What are they going to do when all the older folk fail their medicial? Then they will be in the real ■■■■!
Any advice on getting some perm work apart from the agency route would be very helpful, and I’m sure its not just me!
{edit}
Out of the 7 agencies I have singed up with, I have had 1 days work, on a van!

Are you looking for a job, or a trucking job?

I have read you’re recent posts and it sounds like your out of work at the moment.

I thought you said your neighbour had sorted you out a permanent job?

hgvhgv:
I have spent the last month applying for every job under the sun, going and seeing employers, singed up with 7 agencies, and I am [zb] ing sick and tired of hearing it now!
What are they going to do when all the older folk fail their medicial? Then they will be in the real [zb]!
Any advice on getting some perm work apart from the agency route would be very helpful, and I’m sure its not just me!
{edit}

have you 12k to spare :question: ,if so i know where you can get gauranteed work :wink:

ady1:
have you 12k to spare :question: ,if so i know where you can get gauranteed work :wink:

Yes, guaranteed to be a load of ■■■.

Yes I am looking for class 2 driving in Surrey/Hampshire. Not too sure if my neighbour will come through as I need a high level security clearance which he failed to mention :smiling_imp:

And if I had 12k I would invest it in something worthwile!

hgvhgv:
I have spent the last month applying for every job under the sun, going and seeing employers, singed up with 7 agencies, and I am [zb] ing sick and tired of hearing it now!
What are they going to do when all the older folk fail their medicial? Then they will be in the real [zb]!
{edit}

seriously,bell up the mob in your pic,i know they take on lads with less than 2 yrs experiance as theyve been out with me learning ins/outs of job,i think ours like newbies as its alot easier to assimilate them than some old timer whos got 30 yrs on the job
young lad said the 3 day induction was brill,old timer said what a pile of zb :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hgvhgv:
Yes I am looking for class 2 driving in Surrey/Hampshire. Not too sure if my neighbour will come through as I need a high level security clearance which he failed to mention :smiling_imp:

And if I had 12k I would invest it in something worthwile!

When you say high level security clearance, do you mean level 4/level D?? If so, you can get that easily, don’t let something you can easily get stop you gettin a job

Do stobies do class 2 work then?

And I’m not sure its some g4s clearence for the olympics and I’m not sure I’ll get it with my history ;(

hgvhgv:
{edit}

Then look for van work or 7.5 ton. Many companies with smaller stuff also have bigger ones and will use what they know, regardless of the 2 year thing, when they need. :wink:
If you thought driving lessons and classroom claptrap would be the golden ticket you were wrong or possibly mislead.
After many years at college a newly qualified doctor doesn’t get a Mercedes, new set of golf clubs and corner office. They get suicidely long shifts in inner city A&E departments. :unamused:
To any prospective employer your shiny licence and cpc aint worth [zb] without experience. You can’t blame them for this attitude given operating costs and margins.
Experience is experience BUT relevant experience will get you a foot in the door :wink: Rock up at my door with a new licence and you’ll get nowt. If it’s accompanied by some relevant experience be it 7.5ton locals for a builders merchant or long distance van work, then I’d look at you, IF your attitude was right too.
We’ve just taken on a lad with a fresh licence but he had a good work history of farm contracting (so he can graft and do the hours) and he can cope with large vehicles. He knows the basics of how to load and secure stuff from this too. His references checked out and his previous employers noted his enthusiasm and the cleanliness of his equipment.
All these points are critical to us as we operate in an image conscious environment with expensive fragile freight. I’ve taken him with me double manning around England and the South of France. He is out on his own now and doing spot on. :smiley: We’re putting him through his class 1 next week too :wink:

Don’t take this personally fella but reading some of your posts on here give the impression of thinking you know more than you do and of impatience. Dial your attitude and expectation down a bit and you may be surprised at what comes along. Very few of us even back in the old days were lucky enough to fall straight into something. We all drove little uns and took the ■■■■■■ jobs on the bigguns to start with :wink:

All meant as serious advice and not a dig by the way :wink:

ady1:
alot easier to assimilate them

Christ if that doesn’t sound sinister I don’t know what does!

RUN, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE…

switchlogic:

ady1:
alot easier to assimilate them

Christ if that doesn’t sound sinister I don’t know what does!

RUN, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE…

So Stobart are in fact the Borg :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:

hgvhgv:
{edit}

Then look for van work or 7.5 ton. Many companies with smaller stuff also have bigger ones and will use what they know, regardless of the 2 year thing, when they need. :wink:
If you thought driving lessons and classroom claptrap would be the golden ticket you were wrong or possibly mislead.
After many years at college a newly qualified doctor doesn’t get a Mercedes, new set of golf clubs and corner office. They get suicidely long shifts in inner city A&E departments. :unamused:
To any prospective employer your shiny licence and cpc aint worth [zb] without experience. You can’t blame them for this attitude given operating costs and margins.
Experience is experience BUT relevant experience will get you a foot in the door :wink: Rock up at my door with a new licence and you’ll get nowt. If it’s accompanied by some relevant experience be it 7.5ton locals for a builders merchant or long distance van work, then I’d look at you, IF your attitude was right too.
We’ve just taken on a lad with a fresh licence but he had a good work history of farm contracting (so he can graft and do the hours) and he can cope with large vehicles. He knows the basics of how to load and secure stuff from this too. His references checked out and his previous employers noted his enthusiasm and the cleanliness of his equipment.
All these points are critical to us as we operate in an image conscious environment with expensive fragile freight. I’ve taken him with me double manning around England and the South of France. He is out on his own now and doing spot on. :smiley: We’re putting him through his class 1 next week too :wink:

Don’t take this personally fella but reading some of your posts on here give the impression of thinking you know more than you do and of impatience. Dial your attitude and expectation down a bit and you may be surprised at what comes along. Very few of us even back in the old days were lucky enough to fall straight into something. We all drove little uns and took the [zb] jobs on the bigguns to start with :wink:

Thanks mate I will take that on board and bear in mind what you’ve said. I have done van work for royal mail for 6 months and was a technicial courier for 2 years delivering and installing it equipment I thought this might stand me in good stead but not as of yet!

hgvhgv:

billybigrig:

hgvhgv:
{edit}

Don’t take this personally fella but reading some of your posts on here give the impression of thinking you know more than you do and of impatience. Dial your attitude and expectation down a bit and you may be surprised at what comes along. Very few of us even back in the old days were lucky enough to fall straight into something. We all drove little uns and took the [zb] jobs on the bigguns to start with :wink:

Thanks mate I will take that on board and bear in mind what you’ve said. I have done van work for royal mail for 6 months and was a technicial courier for 2 years delivering and installing it equipment I thought this might stand me in good stead but not as of yet!

It’s certainly worthy experience. Unfortunately in these harsh economic times you are competing in a very competitive job market along with experienced drivers. You will tend to find that companies who have to run trucks, be they transits 7.5s or class 2s, as part of there business as opposed to transport companies are less concerned about the 2 year thing. Driving may only be a part of your duties but it gets you the practice and experience :wink: Shopfitters, vending machine fillers, plant hire companies etc etc Even shunter/loader somewhere.

I wish you all the luck in getting sorted, we all appreciate the frustration :imp: :imp: :imp:

Just make up a convincing lie for the agency. But if they get you work you have to deliver the goods, no pun intended!

Fileep:
Just make up a convincing lie for the agency. But if they get you work you have to deliver the goods, no pun intended!

It doesn’t take much experience to build up a knowledge good enough to BS them :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

It gets worse as well, some agencies also require you to have 180 days worth of traceable tacho in the last so many months on top of the 2 year thing, so if you have had a break from driving and come back it your also shafted.

Phantom Mark:
It gets worse as well, some agencies also require you to have 180 days worth of traceable tacho in the last so many months on top of the 2 year thing, so if you have had a break from driving and come back it your also shafted.

Well its like this, I was working for this firm for 9 months doing class 2 but it was on a log book doing animal waste, they’ve gone bust now and I can’t get a copy of my log books. I can get the transport manager to give me a reference by phone(my best mate) :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Lie completed.

This is all well and good till they look at the back of your license and see when you passed!

I understand what you’re saying and realise how frustrating this is, but can’t remember anyone EVER looking when my entitlement started. If you really are desperate for a start then you might have to look at some of the really ■■■■■■ firms for a start and get your experience the hard way, that’s the way I started!