2 question's for all you LGV instructors

2 question’s for all you LGV instructors.

1/ What are you’r views at training Potential drivers in areas that you do not know ?

My second question is one that will make a few cringe.

2/ Do women make better Lgv learners than men ?

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

1/ What are you’r views at training Potential drivers in areas that you do not know ?

My second question is one that will make a few cringe.

2/ Do women make better Lgv learners than men ?

Bit confused on number 1 as I don’t know any of my potential LGV trainees.

2 Sorry guys - YES, (Take this which way you want to :slight_smile:) once their initial fear of the size is overcome.

ROG:

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

Bit confused on number 1 as I don’t know any of my potential LGV trainees.

I think you may have misread the question ROG, 26 years an Lgv Trainer seems to be asking about training in areas you’re not familiar with, presumably “areas” means location rather than training subject.

I could be wrong though

I’m not an instructor nor a recent trainee, but if I was having lessons I would expect the instructor to have familiarised him/her self with the area before taking my money, I certainly wouldn’t expect to have to pay for the instructors training in my time :imp:

Because if the Instructor does not know the area the test will be conducted in the learner will more than likely fail.

As as we all know some road systems are differant and if you do not know what the examiner is looking for are on a loser.

Some will say that should not happen.

Well it does this is why a good Instructor will always work in his own area where they know the examiners and there pet hates …

As I’ve only ever used 2 test centers, I can only comment that I’ve had no initial problems at either apart from the odd ‘visiting’ examiner who may do things slightly differently but overall I have been happy.

I worked for 20 years as an instructor in the London area so knew the routes with my eyes shut. I also knew all the off route roads as well.
When we moved to a new area and opened our own driving school we spent many weeks getting to know the test routes and driving them ourselves to become familiar with the area and what was needed there. We also had discussions with the examiners in the new test centre to see how they felt about questionable corners/juntions etc.
You cannot expect to teach anybody any subject - be it driving or anything else - unless you asre fully versed on the subject yourself.

As for women trainees… I just find that some people are good learners and others are not regardless of gender.
I do find that the women I have trained do listen well and dont have any pre conceived ideas about the training and usually turn out to be good competant drivers and are a pleasure to instruct. But having said that most of the guys are too.
But I do HATE this recurring and rather boring subject of male versus female drivers. It does not make me cringe it is just boring.
It has been done to death Honey it really has :confused: :confused:

I agree 100% about knowing the area.

I did not mean to start a debate about men versus women driver’s

The point i was trying to make was that as you so clearly state.

As for women trainees… I just find that some people are good learners and others are not regardless of gender.
I do find that the women I have trained do listen well and dont have any pre conceived ideas about the training and usually turn out to be good competant drivers and are a pleasure to instruct. But having said that most of the guys are too.

The main point is that most women do not arrive with an Ego .
Most men come with an Ego.

All a good learner requires is an open mind as the style of driving any truck is totally differant to a car or a small van.

Forgot to say Welcome to 26 years an Lgv Trainer
Nice to have another instructor on the team to help the wannabes with their queries and worries.

Mothertrucker:
Forgot to say Welcome to 26 years an Lgv Trainer
Nice to have another instructor on the team to help the wannabes with their queries and worries.

Thanks Mom ( Just Kidding )

I hope to add a little to the forum some may not like it but no offence intended.

If anyone has any questions of a private nature regarding any aspect of LGV training feel free to private message me.

Also any information on any other training listed in my Signature…

And i am only 46… Work that out 26 years an Lgv Trainer ?

You young whippersnapper :unamused: I am going to be over 49 this year :cry: :cry: :cry:

26 years an Lgv Trainer

It took you 26 years to train your LGV :open_mouth: - naughty lorry for being so stubborn :exclamation: :exclamation:

ROG:
[once their initial fear of the size is overcome.

Yes Rog, I’ve had this problem with the ladies too! Laughing Mutley

I can’t believe no-one already made this joke LOL (Devil)

Yes Rog, I’ve had this problem with the ladies too!

It’s the little things that make you smile isnt it??

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ARMY

Mothertrucker:

ARMY

Correct … You win the chance to ask a Question…

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

Mothertrucker:

ARMY

Correct … You win the chance to ask a Question…

so if i wanted to give you a hard time I could say you’re a trainer with very little experience in actually doing the job you’re training people for :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

cos we all know army driving is totally different to the real world :wink:

You could say it but you would be wrong.

I have always driven aswell as teaching.

I am Self employed if i am not teaching i am driving it is a great mix.

I will not get into the forces driver debate apart from saying The forces teach their own intructors very well.

As the few that have stood up in front of a group of Truck drivers to teach any classrom lesson will know :open_mouth:

so if i wanted to give you a hard time I could say you’re a trainer with very little experience in actually doing the job you’re training people for

cos we all know army driving is totally different to the real world

Although I agree in principle that Army driving is totally different from civilian driving I must point out that driver training is a whole diferent ballgame to driving a truck for a living.

I have been an instructor for 20 years and turned out some very good drivers which is a lot more years than I have done actual driving.

The trick in being a good instructor is the ability to impart the required knowledge to the trainee. This follows for any skill that is being taught be it hairdressing, music or driving. the trick is to be able to understand the principle completely and be able to put the message across. We have all been to school and had teachers that could not get through to us and others that we could drink in every word. The same goes for driver training.
The best and most experienced trucker in the world could make a lousy instructor - and vice versa.

Mothertrucker:

Yes Rog, I’ve had this problem with the ladies too!

It’s the little things that make you smile isnt it??

Touche! Blushing 6

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
The main point is that most women do not arrive with an Ego .
Most men come with an Ego.

All a good learner requires is an open mind as the style of driving any truck is totally differant to a car or a small van.

And how many female LGV trainees have you had in comparison to male in 26years? I imagine somewhere along the lines of 0.05%? If it was 50/50 split then you could start comparing the two, otherwise I think it’s unreasonable.

If you take the time to read peoples training blogs on the forum it comes across that most trainees don’t go into it with an ‘ego’, there have been a few, but very very few, so this seems a bit odd to me.