2 question's for all you LGV instructors

Kiowan:

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
The main point is that most women do not arrive with an Ego .
Most men come with an Ego.

All a good learner requires is an open mind as the style of driving any truck is totally differant to a car or a small van.

And how many female LGV trainees have you had in comparison to male in 26years? I imagine somewhere along the lines of 0.05%? If it was 50/50 split then you could start comparing the two, otherwise I think it’s unreasonable.

If you take the time to read peoples training blogs on the forum it comes across that most trainees don’t go into it with an ‘ego’, there have been a few, but very very few, so this seems a bit odd to me.

Thats a fair point.
I used my experience of advanced driver teaching to compare the two where the ratio is far higher - did not find ego to be a problem with either.

Kiowan:

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
The main point is that most women do not arrive with an Ego .
Most men come with an Ego.

All a good learner requires is an open mind as the style of driving any truck is totally differant to a car or a small van.

And how many female LGV trainees have you had in comparison to male in 26years? I imagine somewhere along the lines of 0.05%? If it was 50/50 split then you could start comparing the two, otherwise I think it’s unreasonable.

If you take the time to read peoples training blogs on the forum it comes across that most trainees don’t go into it with an ‘ego’, there have been a few, but very very few, so this seems a bit odd to me.

What people say on A forum is a little differant to what they say whilst doing the actual training.

I am sure most instructors will agree if a learner passes you are the Greatest but if they fail they will blame the examiner or someone else on the road. Or even the Instructor .

To compare women against men less women drive trucks yes. Currently I teach 10 women to Every 200 Men

But if i am totally honest a woman will always come with an open mind and no ego.

At least 50% of men who learn to drive trucks think they can drive before they arrive,

Yes they can drive a car etc… they should be ok with mirrors / gear changing / highway code etc …But if the truth be told instructors tend to have to spend a lot of time teaching basic driving / highway code.

Every learner has to be told even how to change gear properly every learner rushes gear changes. Any Lgv driver knows you can not rush gears …

Do not shoot the messanger

As Mothertrucker would say read the highway code.

To add to that i always say do not just learn the theory questions read the highway code.

Trivia Time

What does an Amber light mean at traffic lights ?

What does a Green Light Mean At Traffic Lights ?

I believe amber means stop unless you’re already across the white line and green means go only if safe to do so.

Trivia Time

What does an Amber light mean at traffic lights ?

Amber means STOP - if it is safe to do so
Grren means GO - if safe to do so

ROG:

Trivia Time

Both are correct on the Amber light …

A little more information on the Green Light ( As Per Highway Code )

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

ROG:

Trivia Time

Both are correct on the Amber light …

A little more information on the Green Light ( As Per Highway Code )

OK - you may go if they way is clear and take extra care regarding pedestrians who may be crossing the road (means the same as what I said but my statement encompases every eventuality)

In my opinion Amber means STOP and
Green means be ready to stop - it may change at any moment.

That thinking has saved me a few times.

Always keep your eyes on green lights well down the road - the longer they have been on the less likely they are to stay on when you get there.
(Flaming things - they know your coming you know :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: )

26 years an Lgv Trainer said:-

I am sure most instructors will agree if a learner passes you are the Greatest but if they fail they will blame the examiner or someone else on the road. Or even the Instructor .

Happy to say that i’ve never had a trainee blame me - most blame themselves for their silly mistake (mounting a kerb - did I tell them to do that!! -lol), or occasionally some other road user.

True everyones initial reaction is ‘it wasn’t my fault’, but by the time they get back to base, they realise thats it’s just down to them doing something that is unusual to their normal driving.

I used to give trainees a form at the end of their courses with questions about the course and instructors. However I only paid heed to those retuned by those who had failed. After several months I was quite satisfied that there were no complaints relating to their instruction (assuming they were honest).

Happy to say that i’ve never had a trainee blame me -

Neithr have I . I always made a point of sitting for an hour and going through the examiners tick sheet item by item then following that up with a mock test, so if there was a fail I could always point out that the subject had been covered.

However there will always be the odd one or two who can only fail for three things.
The Instructor failed to tell them properly…
The examiner was in a bad mood …
or
The truck was playing up

Few and far between thank goodness but hey are out there :laughing: :laughing:

I like the classic one - “A car cut me up and made me fail” - and my reply is always - "really :exclamation: :exclamation: , did you not see it coming in your mirrors and anticipate the cars’ possible action and prepare for that :question: " and that is usually followed by silence for a while until they realise that Hmmm, yes, should have seen that coming… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: