2 charged over tipper crash

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-35060715

:open_mouth:

Carryfast:
:shock:

Why are you shocked Carryfast?

Oh I remember…you were adamant it was down not being trained properly. :unamused:

Aah yes, we haven’t had a long debate about “gears to slow…” for a while. :open_mouth: :unamused:

the nodding donkey:
Aah yes, we haven’t had a long debate about “gears to slow…” for a while. :open_mouth: :unamused:

Shooooosh, don’t start him off!

albion1971:

Carryfast:
:shock:

Why are you shocked Carryfast?

Oh I remember…you were adamant it was down not being trained properly. :unamused:

To be fair it would/will be interesting to see what the case for the defence will be relying on assuming it isn’t a guilty plea. :bulb:

I’m curious about the other man (the owner / operator) and the charge of dangerous driving being levelled at him - I don’t recall any other trucks being involved, had they been running together ?

Yep apparently so.

If I’ve remembered it right he was following the guvnor’s car which the guvnor was driving.

As someone that regularly drives trucks for three separate tipper companies (via agency), I can tell you now it all about speed and number of loads you can get in on a shift. I crack on and drive rapidly, but with many tipper drivers their driving can at best be described as erratic and at worst bordering on dangerous.

Tipper vehicles often come to grief because they are being driven too fast for the conditions and for no other reason. Barring catastrophic mechanical failure, I am figuring excessive speed will play a part in this incident.

sounds about right, had three near misses with tippers in the last couple weeks. One starting an overtake as lanes merge and nearly taking the front corner off my truck, another artic bulker flat out down a wet muddy hill and the corner at the bottom the whole rig slid over the white line, thought was game over on that one. And another today just flat out down a single track road bouncing off the hedge trying to stop.

was on m62 this afternoon, D&P artic was coming past me and he had an artic bulker so close to his arse end that no way would he be able to see his rear lights, he was seriously that close, Ive done tipper work but no way would i drive like that, is it really worth your life? I never chase the money,

LIBERTY_GUY:
As someone that regularly drives trucks for three separate tipper companies (via agency), I can tell you now it all about speed and number of loads you can get in on a shift.

Not everywhere. My Dad drove tippers for the same firm for 35 years and never had as much as a speeding ticket. Granted there are idiots but there are also clueless idiots driving containers (they seem to like falling over) and a few weeks back someone else let a traction engine fall off a low loader onto a bus. I’ve also come across a few agency drivers who just couldn’t drive a tipper to save their life despite declaring to anyone who was listening how good they were because they’d driven for Tesco. Crap at reversing, no idea how to position a lorry under a loading shovel bucket never mind a blender belt or asphalt hopper…No idea how to drive off road and unable to tell the difference between sand and shingle…
To answer a previous post yes there were two tippers going down Lansdowne Hill and the other person charged is the company director.

Nearly lost my o/s mirrors this week courtesy of a bampot tipper driver working for the Irish outfit doing the groundworks at the Raith interchange. He must have came about 1ft into my lane. Fortunately there was nothing down my n/s and I could take avoiding action. Worryingly, he obviously didn’t even realise what he had done as he couldn’t understand why I was blasting my horn at him.[emoji49]

It is the very culture of many tipper companies, that leads to these accidents, particularly those on muck shift work. Usual dialect of “we need to do ■■ number of loads a day to make this job pay”. Most drivers crack on with it and do what they can, but you’ll get a substantial minority of drivers that believe they MUST do that number of loads, irrespective of weather conditions, traffic volumes, or the safety of other road users.

There are some guys I don’t like running with, as they drive like absolute nutters, for me I’d rather drop a load than end up killing someone by driving like an utter twonk. If you think that sounds dramatic, one of the companies I do work for has had three fatalities on the road in the last ten years. Company still continues to put constant pressure on its drivers to do ever more loads still though. :confused:

The authorities in this case have kept quiet about all the facts, I smell a rat, it will all come out in the court case, I would guess lenghty prison sentences due to media coverage of the crash and the public outcry if it was community service or a suspended sentence.
The council did not replace a broken/ fallen down weight limit sign for a long time.

There are morons driving every kind of lorry under the sun. Every day I see box jockeys running in to tilbury that look like there on a tow bar there that close.
I’ve never raced around like a lunatic and still got as many loads as other drivers on a job just been back at the yard 10 minuites later.
Wasn’t he following the boss in another lorry and in a restricted area■■?
Wonder if there was a fault found with the truck too.

Sorry but it has nothing to do with the companies. It is the responsibility of the driver how he or she drives.
I worked for a tipper company briefly in the West Midlands and did not change my style of driving just to suit them.
Rushing about like an idiot does not gain you that much time and certainly is not worth doing just for the sake of maybe an extra load.
Unfortunately some people put money before safety. I often feel some drivers use this type of situation as an excuse to drive like a maniac.
If you can’t drive within the law leave and find another job.

After all there is a driver shortage. :laughing:

albion1971:
Sorry but it has nothing to do with the companies. It is the responsibility of the driver how he or she drives.
I worked for a tipper company briefly in the West Midlands and did not change my style of driving just to suit them.
Rushing about like an idiot does not gain you that much time and certainly is not worth doing just for the sake of maybe an extra load.
Unfortunately some people put money before safety. I often feel some drivers use this type of situation as an excuse to drive like a maniac.

I would think you are partially wrong there … if the pay is basically crap then boosted up to something half descent by achieving very high productivity levels, then I would say the companies need to bear a good bit of the responsibility. I’m sure the law is that pay structure should not encourage faster driving, but what else can higher productivity be?

Bluey Circles:

albion1971:

I would think you are partially wrong there … if the pay is basically crap then boosted up to something half descent by achieving very high productivity levels, then I would say the companies need to bear a good bit of the responsibility. I’m sure the law is that pay structure should not encourage faster driving, but what else can higher productivity be?

I totally disagree. It is completely down to the driver how he drives. Companies can offer any bonuses they want but if the driver breaks the law only the driver will be prosecuted.
I just do not see how any company could be prosecuted unless they were actually forcing the driver to do the extra work.