2-1 or 1-1 training?

As a rule I normally do 1-1 training, however I had two brothers come for a assessment this morning, both were of similar ability so I suggested training them both together.
The advantage of this I could do the training a lot cheaper and save them over £200 each.

So my question is would you prefer 1-1 or 2-1 training which has a big saving ?Obviously the candidates would have to be of similar ability.

May I add the the time in the drivers seat won’t be drastically reduced in 2-1 training.

Paul :smiley:

Most folks would prefer a big saving I’m sure.

My feelings on 1:1 v 2:1 are well documented. I do, exactly as you have, break my own rule from time to time if it will help the candidates.

But I don’t understand the business model you suggest.

If you want some more insight on operating 2:1, call me and I’ll give you the benefit of my experience.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pros and Cons to both. I’ve done training 2:1(PCV) and felt it held me back because the ■■■■■■■ who I was training with was thick as mud and my trainer spent most of his time reiterating old stuff as he couldn’t carry on teaching new stuff because thicko couldn’t grasp easy concepts. I also felt I got less time behind the wheel as the other trainee needed more. When I have done 1:1(C+E) we covered a lot of ground and it sometimes becomes hard to take it all in in one go.
The other time I did 2:1 (C) training the other driver was of a same level. It was nice to be able to observe what he was doing and listen to his feedback from the instructor and actually see what he meant without worrying about what was going on around us.
Long and short of it - I’d prefer 1:1

m1cks:
Pros and Cons to both. I’ve done training 2:1(PCV) and felt it held me back because the [zb] who I was training with was thick as mud and my trainer spent most of his time reiterating old stuff as he couldn’t carry on teaching new stuff because thicko couldn’t grasp easy concepts. I also felt I got less time behind the wheel as the other trainee needed more. When I have done 1:1(C+E) we covered a lot of ground and it sometimes becomes hard to take it all in in one go.
The other time I did 2:1 (C) training the other driver was of a same level. It was nice to be able to observe what he was doing and listen to his feedback from the instructor and actually see what he meant without worrying about what was going on around us.
Long and short of it - I’d prefer 1:1

only ever took Class 1, did cat C as I was driving 7.5t for years prior.
As m1cks said there’s 2 out looks on the 1:1 v 2:2 thing but in reading what m1cks said I wonder if 2 or 3 small cameras fitted ie 1 forward facing 1 in the cab and 1 on the side maybe down loaded to a computer for the trainee to revise on points that need addressing as at the time some people cant soak up everything at the time.

Mostly did 2 to 1 training where the trainees had different abilities - never had any issues

2 to 1 made journeying to and from the yard less for both trainees

This is comparing 1 to 1 half days with 2 to 1 all day

With the introduction of the driver cpc then those who are in the periodic system can get dcpc hours from practical training where the trainer has the course approved for such and doing 2 to 1 makes getting more dcpc hours possible for both trainees

Take a standard course over 5 days
1 to 1 half days gets 14 dcpc hours each (4 x 3.5 = 14)
2 to 1 full days gets 28 dcpc hours each (4 x 7 = 28) - the one not driving is still learning

As someone who is about to embark in the training, it’s a difficult one to call really. How do the pass rates compare?? If its significant, then for the sake of an extra £200 and a better chance of passing i would go for 1:1.

However as ROG states, double the training time for less money makes it far more appealing. Depends on whether the trainer would actually increase it to full days or keep it at the same training time for 1 driver…

bagz:
As someone who is about to embark in the training, it’s a difficult one to call really. How do the pass rates compare?? If its significant, then for the sake of an extra £200 and a better chance of passing i would go for 1:1.

However as ROG states, double the training time for less money makes it far more appealing. Depends on whether the trainer would actually increase it to full days or keep it at the same training time for 1 driver…

Not sure about the double for LESS money but certainly double the time for the same money

I would rather pay extra and have a 1-1. Get more driving time in and the trainer will be able to focus on your driving.

Perhaps you could offer a service that if an individual has a friend or someone who also wants to do the training then they could do a 2-1 at a cheaper rate. But as a normal customer I would prefer 1-1 unless I was doing it with a friend.

ROG:

bagz:

Not sure about the double for LESS money but certainly double the time for the same money

Ahh sorry i understand now.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

Offering both options will probably be the best way forward.

Paul :smiley:

nurburg340:
I would rather pay extra and have a 1-1. Get more driving time in and the trainer will be able to focus on your driving.

But you can also learn an awful lot just observing someone else getting taught. Also you have less intensity in a situation as you’re not the one in command so can get a better overall picture without worrying about gears/positioning etc.

The ONLY caveat with this is that your training partner isn’t a numpty. Sadly, no training school can offer that guarantee.

I wanted to do 2 to 1 training. Just thought that training all day 8:00 - 4:00 with plenty of breaks (passenger seat) rather than 4 hours of solid training would be beneficial. While having a bit of a breather your still soaking up info and watching the other guy (from the examiners position) and listening to the instructor. We generally had a couple of 1 hour drives each followed by lunch then another couple(ish) worked well. Luckily we were both at similar levels, probably wouldn’t work as well if there was a big difference in skill level.

We both passed this week (both first time) so deffo worked for us.

Dave

nurburg340:

The driving time is the same for both 1 to 1 and 2 to 1

Bit of a sweeping generalisation and should be asked directly when enquiring.

It’s far from always the case.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Bit of a sweeping generalisation and should be asked directly when enquiring.

It’s far from always the case.

Was when I did it - analogue cards for comparison

I’ve always been if the opinion that those instructors doing 2-1 training are money grabbing and putting that before the students needs/expectations.
The original op States that they would save £200 each but the question is would YOU make more money taking 2 at a time,if the answer is yes then that’s the reason your doing it and I would always advise anyone against these type of instructors…
££££s 1st
Students 2nd

ckm1981:
I’ve always been if the opinion that those instructors doing 2-1 training are money grabbing and putting that before the students needs/expectations.
The original op States that they would save £200 each but the question is would YOU make more money taking 2 at a time,if the answer is yes then that’s the reason your doing it and I would always advise anyone against these type of instructors…
££££s 1st
Students 2nd

yeah, i cannot help but think that the cost of training, for each of the 2 drivers, should be half that of a single driver, unless the training hours are being increased slightly to accommodate this.

bagz:

ckm1981:
££££s 1st
Students 2nd

yeah, i cannot help but think that the cost of training at, for each of the 2 drivers, should be half that of a single driver, unless the training hours are being increased slightly to accommodate this.

Let me explain how it works over a standard 5 day course with test(s) on day 5
1 to 1 half day mornings = 4x4hours = 16 hours + test day = cost £1000
1 to 1 half day afternoonss = 4x4hours = 16 hours + test day = cost £1000
2 to 1 full days = 4x8hours = 32 hours divided by 2 = 16 hours each + test day = cost £2000 (£1000 each x 2)
NO DIFFERENCE

2 to 1 is less intense because the driving is split during the day perhaps by them switching every hour

is that standard now 4hrs trainaig a day on 1to1?
Doesn’t seem many hours tbh,and if I was doing it why would I want to hang around for 4hrs watching someone else drive?
I’d rather do my 4hrs and go home tbh,no real benefit in my eyes of sitting on a bunk bored senseless for 4hrs a day while the other guy drives about,it’s like being in work doing a double manned route but your not getting paid for it.inly difference I can see from the above is the instructor mates 2k from the week i stead of 1k,so I refer to my original post,I don’t blame you after all we all like shiny things that cost money to buy but the op did ask for views so I gave mine.
I’d guarantee by day 2 the guys/girls your training are gonna be sitting there thinking what else they could be doing with their afternoon rather than sitting watching someone else drive even if you spilt the driving alternately throughout the day you are still expecting them to sit and watch someone driving for 16hrs during that 4 days…also in the 2 guys who are instructors posting on this threads website they use the term “1 to 1” training as a selling point so that to me confirms they see this as the best approach.

the term “1 to 1” training as a selling point so that to me confirms they see this as the best approach.

I have no doubt that this is the best approach. But, in fairness to the 2:1 argument and it making more money, this isn’t the case.

Many trainers work on 1:1 over 4 hours or 2:1 over 8 hours. The revenue is exactly the same whether it comes from 2 courses run 1:1 or 2 courses run 2:1 and it takes the same length of time.

I will do this typically on large contracts (eg local council). They will send us an order for ■■ candidates to be completed in ■■ time. The guys may as well share. If one of them gets the lion’s share of attention, it doesn’t matter as their costs are being paid by the same customer. But I wouldn’t do it with individuals unless they are friends, workmates etc.

There are times when we may have 3 people in the cab eg I accompany all trainers periodically to monitor performance and maintain standards. Or we may have a trainer who is new to us who needs to learn our methods and he will accompany some courses to learn this. But, in all these cases, the trainee is asked and it is made very clear that there is no problem if they choose to decline.